This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not understand (SGA Cancellation)

It makes no sense to me from a fan or a business perspective to cancel Stargate Atlantis in favor of a movie. The movie costs more to produce, takes longer allowing people to move on to other things, there is only one, and it sells for less. Why would Sci Fi want to lose the revenue from the commercials aired every week during the show in favor of one direct to DVD movie?

From a fans perspective one gets more out of a series than one movie. The story lines can not be wrapped up in one or two movies properly. While movies do allow for more shots in a sequence they do not allow for a lot of character growth. Kind of hard to fit that into a single movie properly. A season allows for progession.

In conclusion, I understand SG-1 being cancelled because not much could really be told after 10 years. What enemy could be more powerful than the Goa'uld and Ori? What villains could be thought up that people would enjoy? Not many if any. Atlantis has so much left to explore though. It is in its peak. Season 7 & 8 of SG-1 were arguably the best ever!

I have to admit, that a season six would be better than a movie, but Stargate Atlantis can't go on forever. Sure another season could work, but eventually and probably sooner rather than later, atlantis would fall prey to the same thing that made SG-1's later seasons bad. People need to stop complaining about the cancellation and look to the future. Universe will be great, I know for sure and the atlantis movies, with a higher budget and longer running time, will be successful enough to bring more movies to come. Quit being so pessimistic everbody!
    Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

we dont have to stop complaining.. Its SGA its the best tv show EVER and it has soooo much potential to keep going for atleast 2 more seasons as there is so much that can happen and a movie will just be wierd if u ask me
      BRING BACK SGA.. NEVER WATCHING SCI-FI OR SGU EVER

Comment

Sci-fi channel is ran by a bunch of retards, which explains 90% of the decision. The other 10% is explained by a lack of quality episodes that have surfaced.

I have to admit though, Queen was some of the best Stargate I had in a long, long while.

Comment

I do not understand it either really...oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
            It makes no sense to me from a fan or a business perspective to cancel Stargate Atlantis in favor of a movie. The movie costs more to produce, takes longer allowing people to move on to other things, there is only one, and it sells for less. Why would Sci Fi want to lose the revenue from the commercials aired every week during the show in favor of one direct to DVD movie?
            You're thinking too much. Just drink the Kool-Aid. It makes everything simpler.

[Brad Wright] Atlantis is going out on top. [/Brad Wright]

[Sci-Fi trailer] Get into the best season of Stargate ever. [/Sci-Fi trailer]

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
              You're thinking too much. Just drink the Kool-Aid. It makes everything simpler.

[Brad Wright] Atlantis is going out on top. [/Brad Wright]

[Sci-Fi trailer] Get into the best season of Stargate ever. [/Sci-Fi trailer]
              I know, I find that to be both insulting and ironic all at the same time.

Comment

No one understands it - mainly because one more season, especially going into it knowing it IS the last season - could have allowed them to pull out all the stops, and really blown us away. The Queen has opened up HUGE possibilities, and an entire season could be based on the repercussions of just that one episode alone, not to mention what could happen if you included Michael into the mix.

But what I think happened was that the SG franchise made tons of money on the SG1 DVDs, and they figured 'why tie up everything up (including our money) making 20 episodes a year, when we can make just ONE two-hour 'episode', and make a ton more money by doing it?' That, coupled with what I perceive to be boredom with the curent series on the part of two creators, and their desire to put it behind them and get busy playing with their new, exciting 'baby'.

Shame - because though they may be bored with it, newer viewers, such as myself, certainly are not - especially after a fantastic episode like The Queen.

das
                sigpic

Comment

Well that's why were the fans and they are the producers/etc....

Contary to popular Gateworld opinions The producers/etc..... are not stupid they probably have some ingenius corporate way of getting more money out of the Making a bunch of movies instead of a bunch of seasons.

Also ''Seasons 7+8 the best'' No......just no

Comment

The show was cancelled, because...
                    1. It was probably getting expensive. This is likely, considering how cheap SciFi is. Just take a look at their other shoestring budget productions.
                    2. The producers wanted to end the show on a highnote.
                    3. The producers want to make movies. Yes, a film series.
                    4. MGM wants to move ahead with Universe, but the producers don't want to go back to producing two shows at once.

I'm sure there are other reasons. Take your pick or share something new.

Comment

It is pretty simple. Ratings were not the issue.

SGU for it's first season will be cheaper to produce than Season 6 of SGA. SGU could get the same ratings as Atlantis but it would still make more money for the network and MGM because of the lower production cost.

DVD Movies = Less Expensive to produce and therefore more $$$$ for MGM.

SCI FI wanted a Stargate to run either way.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ironic part about all of this is SG1 is probably to blame for there not being another season of SGA. I would bet this never would have happened if the SG1 movies didnt have the success they had ... I think everyone including the producers didnt expect the sells both Arc and Continuum got, personally I think thats the main reason why SGA was cancelled. SGU is another reason but SciFi and MGM clearly saw the opportunity to not only continiue making SG1 and SGA based movies (while making loads of money) but introducing a whole new series.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin81 View Post
                          Ironic part about all of this is SG1 is probably to blame for there not being another season of SGA. I would bet this never would have happened if the SG1 movies didnt have the success they had ... I think everyone including the producers didnt expect the sells both Arc and Continuum got, personally I think thats the main reason why SGA was cancelled. SGU is another reason but SciFi and MGM clearly saw the opportunity to not only continiue making SG1 and SGA based movies (while making loads of money) but introducing a whole new series.
                          Well, I am sure a lot of eyebrows went up when they saw the DVD sales for both SG-1 movies. They wanted more movies and a new series, there was no room for another season of SGA. I started to feel suspicious after comic con when Brad Wright himself said SGA will continue in at least some form. That was the red flag right there.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xylian View Post
                            atlantis would fall prey to the same thing that made SG-1's later seasons bad. People need to stop complaining about the cancellation and look to the future. Universe will be great, I know for sure and the atlantis movies, with a higher budget and longer running time, will be successful enough to bring more movies to come. Quit being so pessimistic everbody!
                            ... sorry to be blunt but are you freakin serious have you been watching the same episodes it's going very well and has ALOT more stories to tell, and with universe... have you read the plot... its like a cross between Stargate Infinity and Sliders.

I for one would rather and 1 - 2 seasons than Universe and the movies.
                            sigpic
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard!!" campaign.

Comment

I do not understand, you could have modified the Stargate yourself how this is really a good idea, either. But I guess we fans have no way of knowing what is necessary and what is not in the grand design.
                              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 16 September 2008, 01:25 AM.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X