Earth's greatest achievements!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth's greatest achievements!

It seems that in this forum there are two kinds of people. Those who believe that "Earth trumps all" and those who believe that we have achieved very little on our own. The purpose of this thread is to gather together all of the Tau'ris greatest technological achievements.

To clarify the Asgard core on the Odyssey isn't an achievement of Earth so you can't list that, but the Asgard plasma beam weapons on board the Apollo and Daedalus will count since we were able to build these on our own.

And to make this thread more interesting/useful let's compile two lists.
    Number one is Tau'ris greatest achievements because we can BUILD them like the Asgard plasma beam weapon or the two earth replicators from SGA.
    Number Two is Tau'ris greatest achievements because we INVENTED them like the Mark IX Nuclear warhead or the Iris.

And to those who don't believe that building something that we didn't invent is not a great achievement. I remind you that until July 8, 1853 Japan lived in isolation and the West possessed vastly superior technology (Warships :-), but after Japan opened her doors and began receiving western technology, in only relatively little time Japan became one of the World's most advanced countries. And while Japanese and Western technology originates from the same source, they poses more superior technologies then the West (Have you seen the AIBOs!?)

Inventing something on your own is an achievement. Improving or adapting something that someone else invented is also an achievement.

F-302's, They are designed with complete Earth tech.
    Railguns, They are powerful weapons if used right, plus, they are the coolest projectile weapons.

Comment

Build:

Power modulator.

AI

Nanites

Invent/Inovate:

Promethius Class

Daedalus Class

Ceramic Polymer

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
        F-302's, They are designed with complete Earth tech.
        Railguns, They are powerful weapons if used right, plus, they are the coolest projectile weapons.
        seconded, maybe add the mark IV

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I'm not going to lie Earth in the last ten years has done some pretty impressive stuff

What you should count as Earth capability
          -F-302
          -Iris
          -Naqahdah Generator
          -Prometheus (best example of how far we have come)
          -304 (With out Asgard same as a 303 with a better look)
          -Anti-Prior Device
          -Wraith Virus
          -ATA gene thearapy
          -Dialing Computer
          -Horizon Weapon System
          -Rail gun
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Everyone's going to hate me for this, but how about the damn dialing computer?

Only the Asgard and the Nox have ever been shown to activate a Stargate without a DHD, not even the Ori. We figured it out before we even set foot through the gate. That should at the very least be considered our first step towards becoming the Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post

Only the Asgard and the Nox have ever been shown to activate a Stargate without a DHD, not even the Ori. We figured it out before we even set foot through the gate. That should at the very least be considered our first step towards becoming the Fifth Race.
              I agree. The creation of our own dialing device (or system) shows ingenuity and technical skill.

The dialing computer has a major advantage over the standard DHD, mainly the advantage is that the dialing computer can store many Stargate addresses, while DHDs cannot store any Stargate addresses at all (as far as we know).
              sigpic
              Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksal0224 View Post
                I agree. The creation of our own dialing device (or system) shows ingenuity and technical skill.

The dialing computer has a major advantage over the standard DHD, mainly the advantage is that the dialing computer can store many Stargate addresses, while DHDs cannot store any Stargate addresses at all (as far as we know).
                Right, even Ba'al- who was still the single most powerful Goa'uld left standing, had to come to Earth just to look up an address.

Which brings up another point- Earth posesses the single most complete list of MW stargate addresses known to the galaxy, with helpful SGC notes on all the ones we've visited and color coding by whether the Goa'uld have been there or not.

And unless you count Jack's asgard-stunning ability to process the Ancient Database as alien help, its entirely Earth tech.

Comment

I would say that Earth's greatest achivement is the Prometheus

This spacecraft showed Earth's potetnial with out Asgard help and it was a great step forward for us

So the dialing computer is great but the Prometheus wins my vote
                  Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                  A Face you Can Trust
                  sigpic
                  So whats the worst that could happen?
                  Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                  It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

i was thinking bout prometheus but i dont think that was just us, dont they say that most of prometheus's systems are backwards engineired from goa'uld design

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Sliced bread......

Im joking, I think our best invention was the Dialing computer. If we had not come up with it than we would not have done anything
                      Perhaps Puff

Comment

Mark IX all the way.
                        Spoiler:
                        It was the MW's only weapon that could destroy the supergate.
                        And combining them to great the Horizon which destroyed an area larger then many countries on Earth! Makes the Mark IX Earth's most devastating weapon... We really should use those more often. The Atlantis expedition knows the addresses to many Wraith planets! So, why not send a few Mark IX's through the gate to all of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post

I agree. The standard DHD can hold 10 addresses but cannot be accessed unless you have equipment.

What about:

1. The ARG Carter's design. The original was built by Col. O neil using Ancient knowledge and an Asgard computer but Carter built her own version used in SGA and AoT.

2. What about Avenger the Gate disabling virus. The one Baal modified to disable the entire gate network.

3. Subspace tracking implants. The one we use to lock on for Asgard beams designed by Devlin Medical Technology

4. The Asgard clone. By the company that built F 302 engines.

5. Asgard beam Jammers. the ones installed in the SGC following the theft of the Stargate by the Trust agents to launch their gas attacks against Goauld Planets.

6. Anti supersoldier weapon, made with the aid of the Tokra in Death Knell.
                          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

to name but a few yea.

ehm. air to air missles. best anti fighter weapon.

302 and 303 all the way. 304 was to implement new tech. but not a massive achievement. just technology being put together better than the 303.
                            ehm. dialing macro. definately. and the x-699

Comment

the 303 while reverse engineered from goa'uld tech, was entirely human built. Including the hyperdrive. So I say that is one of our own. Just like the Japanese who used our latest ideas, to build an entirely new fleet, we used Goa'uld Ideas to begin ours.

Rail guns, 302, and the carter derived ARG, should be on that list. the gate bridge wouldn't though as the auto redialing program was annibus's.

As for gate computers in the very first episode Aphosis uses an auto dialer on earth even. Though our gate computer is an achievement on it's own. So is the Iris.

So My vote. The Gate computer, and the Iris are our top two most powerful technologies developed. Without those two ideas the rest would never have happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X