This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that they're direct-to-video...

Am I the only one who likes the fact that we're getting direct-to-video movies? They made both fast and are getting released in the same year. Not only that, but The Ark of Truth looked very cinematic. If a small budget and a video release means more movies without waiting years for the next one, then I'm all for it. The Ark of Truth didn't feel cheap at all. From what I've read, Continuum will be even more cinematic.

Yeah, direct-to-DVD is definitely the way to go for the franchise. I didn't think "Ark of Truth" looked overly cinematic, but I thought it was great. If they can keep up the level of quality AND make it look more cinematic, then I'll be extremely happy.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Yeah i do hope they say do two for next year as well . Maybe if they do they cold say something on the next DVD about it ... Give the buys of the MOVIES an inside scoop ...

Comment

Two a year from now could be unlikely though - when they started filming these two, the cast had this as their commitments.. from this year on they will be off doing different projects.. we've heard about the Judge and Shanks project from his interview, Tapping with Santuary, Browder working on a mini-series with Farscape director and producer Andrew Prowse...

.. so they are all going to have other commitments, and any filming of future movies will be worked around their schedules. Doesn't make it impossible of course, because we see tv series stars doing movies in their 'off-season', but I would think we'd be looking at just one a year if this pair are successful. Which would be grand of course!

Comment

I believe they only did two so one could wrap up the Ori saga with the other one serving as a stand-alone story. After this year, we're suppose to expect one a year, though two isn't out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma Yksilo View Post
            Two a year from now could be unlikely though - when they started filming these two, the cast had this as their commitments.. from this year on they will be off doing different projects.. we've heard about the Judge and Shanks project from his interview, Tapping with Santuary, Browder working on a mini-series with Farscape director and producer Andrew Prowse...

.. so they are all going to have other commitments, and any filming of future movies will be worked around their schedules. Doesn't make it impossible of course, because we see tv series stars doing movies in their 'off-season', but I would think we'd be looking at just one a year if this pair are successful. Which would be grand of course!
            They only took like, three weeks to film, I doubt scheduling would be too much of a problem. Hopefully next time they'll get some more cash to work with since The Ark Of Truth is selling so well.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              They only took like, three weeks to film, I doubt scheduling would be too much of a problem. Hopefully next time they'll get some more cash to work with since The Ark Of Truth is selling so well.
              That's good news. I didn't realize we already had data on it. Where'd you find that out?
              Theoretically spoilerish:
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I agree.

but then...

I disagree.

Long story short, I think it was the right move bringing Ark of Truth to DVD and not the cinema. As a direct continuation of a storyline from the series it was best suited to such a release, with a big screen release simply confusing newcomers and not looking very appealing to the masses...

However.

I see no reason why Continuum shouldn't be big screen. If Star Trek can have 11 movies in the cinema, why can't SG1 have one? The thing about Continuum is it IS epic. Far more so than Ark. It has REAL fast jet aircraft and a REAL nuclear submarine. It's shot ON location, and above all, it has a storyline easily accessible to newcomers and without it being a MAJOR series continuation storyline.

Sure, it's about Ba'al, but then... you don't need to see SG1 to understand he's the last major goa'uld, just the first movie to know what a goa'uld is.

I think not bringing Continuum to the big screen is a major waste considering the involvement and effort of the US armed forces in creating this film.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The Ark of Truth was released to DVD for one obvious reason: It was too weak to have performed well on the big screen.
                  There's no:

1) Exposition:Unless you are a fan of the show,even watching the prelude gives you no idea of what's going on...

2) Character strength: I know nothing from watching the movie that I couldn't have learned by watching any of the previous shows.

3) Special effects: They weren't particular 'special."

4) And, finally, w/o profanity,excessive violence or any nudity or adult content, what would the "lure" in putting the movie in cinemas to compete w/ movies that HAVE those items?

If the want to keep SG-1 going..then straight to DVD movies are the only way I can see that being done.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
                    That's good news. I didn't realize we already had data on it. Where'd you find that out?
                    No figures are out yet, but so far we'd got this quote from Joe Mallozzi:

To all those of you asking - the preliminary sales performance of The Ark of Truth has taken everyone here at the production offices by surprise. We were hoping for a strong showing, but the response to this point has been nothing short of amazing. Still the #1-selling DVD at Amazon.com the last time I checked, and early reports have it doing extremely well at other outlets. Congratulations to Robert Cooper, the cast, and crew.

Comment

Originally posted by cocytus View Post
                      The Ark of Truth was released to DVD for one obvious reason: It was too weak to have performed well on the big screen.
                      There's no:

1) Exposition:Unless you are a fan of the show,even watching the prelude gives you no idea of what's going on...

2) Character strength: I know nothing from watching the movie that I couldn't have learned by watching any of the previous shows.

3) Special effects: They weren't particular 'special."

4) And, finally, w/o profanity,excessive violence or any nudity or adult content, what would the "lure" in putting the movie in cinemas to compete w/ movies that HAVE those items?

If the want to keep SG-1 going..then straight to DVD movies are the only way I can see that being done.
                      You make it sound as if they made The Ark Of Truth and then the decision to release it only on DVD came later. From the beginning this was a direct to DVD movie, the whole was to wrap up the Ori arc, this film was produced exclusively for the fans who wanted to see an ending to seasons 9 and 10, the reason there's no exposition is because it's not aimed at anyone else.

Comment

I am so happy with the direct-to-DVD format. Of course, I would rather have the show as a series.......but if we can't, this is the way to go. They got more time, more money and I think it was worth it, I loved The Ark of Truth.

If they were to release even Continuum on the big screen I would be nervous that it would go the way of Serenity. Not make enough and they would stop production all together. This MUCH less expensive format means that the movie can actually make money, thus getting us more movies!

Plus, DIRECT-to-DVD is nice because, unlike the Farscape mini-series, the first time I see it is when I OWN a copy! I don't have to see it on Sci-Fi and then wait to buy it. Perfect for someone as impatient as me!!

Comment

For the record, I watched it with a friend who knew very little about SG-1 and was still very confused. That said, I still don't think the theater is necessary, and I like that this is pretty much a very profitable direct infusion of cash from people all buying it the same week.
                          Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

I love Stargate to death, but a cinematic release would be horrible. The storyline would have to be so waterdowned that there wouldn't be any real backstory to it. Also, it probably wouldn't do well in the theaters.

Comment

Feature films are a whole different critter than direct2dvd movies. The polotics and finagling are just absurd. SG1 has a awesome amount of content control and story leeway they wouldnt have from a feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X