Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't the Wraith go to the Milky Way?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the Wraith go to the Milky Way?

Did the Wraith know where the Milky Way galaxy was, because my understanding was that they knew where it was but did not have the means to get there. If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry for creating a useless thread!

Secondly in Enemies the Ha'tak SG-1 + Jacob were on would take 125 years to travel 4 million lightyears back to the Milkyway. My question is why didn't the Wraith make the 3.5 million light year journey to the Milky Way in search of a new food supply, because the Wraith in the Defiant One was probably on that planet for 10,000 years surviving from the ship he was on which was absolutely full of men. If he could survive for 10,000 years on the supply he had available, then surely it is possible for at least one Hive ship to survive on a full cargo of humans for 100 years or so.

And even if they did not know where the galaxy was, surely they could harvest as many humans as possible and put them in stasis and send a Hive or two out into space to try and find a new food source. Was not the risk worth the potential gain?
    sigpic
    If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
    I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Originally posted by ashman2 View Post
    Was not the risk worth the potential gain?
    No it wasn't. The Wraith had no idea there were humans in the MW, so why would they go there? As far as the Wraith knew, there was no gain to be had. Although I can see the Wraith sending ships now, or possibly one hive abandoning Pegasus with a crapload of humans to start over in a new galaxy. They could start over with no competition from the other Wraith.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Well it is too late now.

Likely, the Earth ships have got the most advanced ship tech in the universe. Those Asgard beams will dissect a Hive. And also Earth battlecruisers should have gotten Asgard ion cannons installed, Asgard shield upgrades, faster hyperdrives (?), Asgard power core(?), more advanced Asgard sensors (?).

Not to mention 1 Hive would be destroyed by a Jaffa fleet.

With those Asgard upgrades, Hives are toast, considering they are much fewer on them with the Asuran annihilating the Wraith.

Plus with the Asgard upgrades, Earth ships can hunt out Aurora's. Sneak attacks. Now that Earth knows the location of every single Aurora. Those Asgard beams will shred Aurora's.

Comment

I doubt it's as simple as going in a direction & they arrive in a hundred years. It's been shown that their hyperdrive is inefficient for real long range travel. It would have taken 3 million years for the Trea/Tria to reach the MW on standard drives. So the Wraith hyperdrive has to be a number that they simply couldn't sustain the journey. Be that the Wraith themselves or their organic ships.

So I'd say it's probably a few thousand years worth of travel time!

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
          Now that Earth knows the location of every single Aurora. Those Asgard beams will shred Aurora's.
          Care to prove that?
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
            I doubt it's as simple as going in a direction & they arrive in a hundred years. It's been shown that their hyperdrive is inefficient for real long range travel. It would have taken 3 million years for the Trea/Tria to reach the MW on standard drives. So the Wraith hyperdrive has to be a number that they simply couldn't sustain the journey. Be that the Wraith themselves or their organic ships.

So I'd say it's probably a few thousand years worth of travel time!
            Sorry should have used multi-quote. I think the Wraith could make it to the MW in a couple hundred years if they really wanted to. They just never had a reason to leave Pegasus, and embark on a journey into unknown territory. It's unlikely they knew human life existed elsewhere, so why would they leave their home galaxy when they have abundant food and are unchallenged for dominance? In short it's not because they couldn't, it's because they had no reason to.

Comment

Plus, they need to know which direction to travel in and if they're off by even the slightest bit, they won't arrive at the intended location.

Vala,

Comment

I thought though that they knew the Lanteans had abandoned Atlantis to go back to Earth and that, along with the fact that Atlantis was deep under water where they could not reach it, were the two reasons why the first seige ended. I thought it was the whole point that the Ancients had gone somewhere they felt the Wraith couldn't follow.

Also, I get the point about if they go in the wrong direction then they risk getting lost, but from the Midway station both galaxies can be seen quite clearly, so surely you can't get that lost?! But obviously I understand not knowing which galaxy is which, but they could take the risk that all galaxies are inhabited, which obviously isn't all that intelligent, but there's a chance that the galaxy is inhabited.
                sigpic
                If ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people?
                I love you like a fat kid loves cake: you were great at the time but you ruined high school for me.

Comment

"Care to prove that?"

We will all see what the Asgard beams can do soon.

The Asgard beams took out a Ori shield in about 5-6 shots. I do not believe they are just made for Ori shields. I think they are made to penetrate all shields efficiently.

Scenario: Assuming these Aurora's can fire dozens of drones at once, if the Asgard beams have little impact=easy destruction of both Earth ships. Thus in a few shots the Aurora's will be destroyed.

Now if the Aurora's fire only 1-4 drones at once, they you may see that it takes 12-24 Asgard beams to take out an Aurora and it will be a prolonged affair. This scenario is unlikely. The Aurora's should be capable for firing many many drones at once, and those Asgard lasers are incredibly powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                    "Care to prove that?"

We will all see what the Asgard beams can do soon.

The Asgard beams took out a Ori shield in about 5-6 shots. I do not believe they are just made for Ori shields. I think they are made to penetrate all shields efficiently.
                    1. Yes I suppose we will.

2. Your speculation is a possibility, but at this point it is only speculation. Until we see them actually used on anything but an Ori ship, we have no idea how they'll perform.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      Sorry should have used multi-quote. I think the Wraith could make it to the MW in a couple hundred years if they really wanted to. They just never had a reason to leave Pegasus, and embark on a journey into unknown territory. It's unlikely they knew human life existed elsewhere, so why would they leave their home galaxy when they have abundant food and are unchallenged for dominance? In short it's not because they couldn't, it's because they had no reason to.
                      You mean other than the fact that after the Lantean war they were all forced to put themselves into hibernation because there wasn't enough food to go around them all.

Doing some calculations on their minimum food requirments, how much of a Wraith population that needs to be fed. Then the last factor of how fast the humans would be able to reproduce etc.

There were 1000 worlds full of life before the Wraith went mad on the eating habits. 1000 worlds compared to Wraith that could number in the millions. Who all need to eat regularly etc.

In real-life we can detect other galaxies. In Stargate land, the Wraith defeated the Lanteans. They can break people down to energy & store them, they can fly about the galaxy, they can create energy weapons. They even created a jammer straight away to block beaming technology from around their ships. In MC, we saw the Wraith was far better with the nanites than McKay etc. In 'Reunion' they created some sort of energy field to contain an Asuran etc, etc.

We saw them get to the edge of the Pegasus galaxy in 'Aurora', so obviously they have wondered just what's out there in the stars. Yet they've never went out in a ship, sent a probe, developed sensors or scanners to try & see if there is anything in the void between galaxies. Yet we are to beleive that they are stupid enough to just go to sleep & hope when they wake up, billions of humans are around for them to eat. A little basic maths would have told a child that the humans in Pegasus would not be enough to sustain their dietary requirements long term. Yet they sleep for 10,000 years instead of trying to get to or spot a new feeding ground. Especially when it could only be a couple hundred years or less in travel time away!

Comment

Even if the Wraith knew where Earth was I think they'd still be hesitant about going. The Wraith so far have encountered a very small group of Earthlings and we've been a tremendous pain in the butt for them, I think they'd hesitate about going to an entire galaxy full of the same kind of humans. I know they didn't have a problem taking on the ancients but I think their numbers were much higher then and they were very confident about overpowering them. Considering how much damage we've done to the wraith in the short time we've been in pegasus I really think they'd be hesitant and only go through sheer desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                          Even if the Wraith knew where Earth was I think they'd still be hesitant about going. The Wraith so far have encountered a very small group of Earthlings and we've been a tremendous pain in the butt for them, I think they'd hesitate about going to an entire galaxy full of the same kind of humans. I know they didn't have a problem taking on the ancients but I think their numbers were much higher then and they were very confident about overpowering them. Considering how much damage we've done to the wraith in the short time we've been in pegasus I really think they'd be hesitant and only go through sheer desperation.
                          well at the moment they r desperate coz there getting wiped out by the asurans. maybe that will happen soon

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Perhaps the wraith knew they wouldn't be able to make the journey, also there are many galaxies around PG. The ancients probably didn't want them knowing that there was a galaxy teaming with human life. If you don't look you won't see, by that I mean they probably never looked in another galaxy for humans.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

all they wold need to do would take a massive stock of food in transport ships and most of the wraith go into hibernation

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                              X