PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever get a new class of ship? (Spoilers)

StevenCaldwell
April 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Will the pegasus galixy ever get a new class of ship? we have the Daedalus and the Apollo, which are the same class.

I hurd somewere that towards the mid season break we get a brand new class of ship, that comes to the Apollo aid. The ship is aquip with an energy type wepon like we sore the asgard use, along with asgard shield and beaming tech

Saul Tigh
April 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
well carter is supposed to have her own ship ...if i understood the news correclty.

prion
April 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Why can't we just keep what we have and not keep blowing them up??

Platschu
April 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Intresting, we have spoken about this yesterday too in the Hungarian fandom. :)

We have X-302 gliders: max. 2 person
We have X-303 battleships: max. more hundred people

What is between the X-302 and X-303? The jumpers, which can bring 10-15 people and the al'kesh, which is much bigger. But my suggestion that the Earth should build more jumper type, more cheaper ship, which can go through the stargate, but can carry a group. I think the white stars was so cool in Babylon 5. They could create attack formations and change direction so easily. Sometimes I miss this ships from the SG universe, so if one ship is going to explode in the battle, than the fans could accept easier (instead of Prometheus etc.)

jenks
April 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
I would make sense for a new class of ship to be in the pipeline imo after the events of

Unending

But I don't think the writers really want us to have a powerful ship on hand all the time, JM almost sounds like he wants to get rid of them at times...

Arturis
April 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
If there is a new class of ship then we don't need to let John sheppard or Rodney McKay anywhere near it if we want it to stay both funtioning or in pieces larger than a basketball. The destroy everything they touch.

Ravroz
April 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
I would tend to agree with you but the Deddy and Apollo are still intact and operational. They just tend to destroy any alien technology or ship that they run across. IE the Wraith hive ship they got and the Orion.

monkey_man132
April 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
If there is a new class of ship then we don't need to let John sheppard or Rodney McKay anywhere near it if we want it to stay both funtioning or in pieces larger than a basketball. The destroy everything they touch. Indeed :mckayanime07:

garhkal
April 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Not everything... they have yet to destroy atlantis

AutumnDream
April 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
If there is a new class of ship then we don't need to let John sheppard or Rodney McKay anywhere near it if we want it to stay both funtioning or in pieces larger than a basketball. The destroy everything they touch.

Lee Adama Syndrome.

Wraith_Boy
April 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Not everything... they have yet to destroy atlantis

They can't destroy Atlantis since that's where the show is based around!

Not to mention they've done the next best things, lost the city to an enemy, while also blown the crap out of the control tower. As well as draining down 2 ZPM's in the space of 2 seasons.

Anytime they get near a new ship, they should have their destructive asses confined to the bridge for crimes against 'cool advanced technology'.

But I don't think the writers really want us to have a powerful ship on hand all the time, JM almost sounds like he wants to get rid of them at times...

Tbh that's simply bad writing if that were the case. In 'Disclosure' they said about Asgard weapons, in 'Memento', the order was even given to charge the primary weapon up.

They gave them uber powerful shields, & fast as crap hyperdrives. Yet conveniently left out weapons because it is supposed to give them a big advantage over everything. They have a gas that allows them to take over a Wraith ship while also cloaks that would allow them to sneak aboard a Ha'tak & take that over. So they logically have the ability to get their hands on energy weapons should they so wish. Which considering their weapons are crap currently, then that would be top of their list.

So they really don't need a new class of ship, they only need to add in energy weapons. Basically what the Odyssey has would be enough to make them formidable ships.

We know the Wraith defeated the Lanteans, they could build Drones, ZPM's, energy beams & all the rest of the uber tech, yet they were smacked down. So I honestly fail to see how humans getting a few little upgrades that they didn't even build themselves would suddenly make them the top dogs in the galaxy. Surely if the Wraith could beat Lanteans, then they'd have no problem defeating the much less advanced humans.

While McKay said no amount of weapons they had could have collapsed the Asuran sat weapon because of the power that they were able to put into it. So again, Asurans will still be massive favourites in any engagements that they have.

If they give them powerful weapons, then it makes their writing jobs harder because then they'd finally have to start writing the Wraith as the smart, devious species that beat the Ancients, instead of the jokey space vampires that they're being portrayed for the past couple of seasons.

So I'm all for the upgrades...Bring them on. This will make them be forced into making the Wraith smarter & more dangerous. While showing just how powerful & technologically advanced the Asurans are.

StevenCaldwell
April 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM
i agree with what some of you are saying, in reagard to whenever we get a new ship ie Orion, and that wrath hive ship we do tend to blow them up!
We could of kept the Orion and restord it and we would of had a powerfull ship.

i did hear that i new ship would be arriveing in pegasus aquip with new tech that the Asgard left for SG-1, wether it will be Sam's ship or a new class all together

i dont no!

The Suicidal Goldfish
April 24th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I do hope not.

I quite like Stargate as it is, or rather, as it was.

Before we knew everything, could beat everyone and could save the day with a convenient transport beam at the last second etc.

Stargate works because the gate itself is a brilliant plot device, ships have been done to death by Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG etc.

Ravroz
April 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM
While some of the other series have done ships to death. I believe that the ships that have appeared in Stargate to date have been innovative and I believe for the most part have been in a pretty good balance with the use of the gate and other technology. The only thing that they have to do with this new technology is make sure that they don't use their ships too much and make it a little too much like Star Trek.

The Suicidal Goldfish
April 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
To an extent I agree with you (and thanks for managing to disagree without having to RED me...yes you know who you are).

But in the SG universe at the minute, we have Oddyessy, Daedelus and the Apollo, not counting Atlantis itself. I think that should be plenty to keep us occupied for now.

My problem isn't with ships per se, it's that we can now jump galaxies in days, shoot fancy ray guns and instantly teleport in and out of danger. Perhaps I'm wrong but SG1 was so alluring because it was POSSIBLE! The mythology fitted in and this even went so far as to match up with Atlantis, but now we've come so far (IMHO too far) in a very short space of time.

That said, I love the show and will continue to watch for the forseeable.

genius21
April 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
it's called evolution they can't for ten season fight with sticks and stones they can defend a planet with only a stargate.

the oupost on earth has almost no drones left.

so when a ori ship comes they need to trow a rock.

the whole meaning was go to other planets find advanced technology that can defend the planet the gate will always be used becouse it is the fastest way to travel.

and even if we had a hundred ships with all the technology of the asgard we won't be able to win easy the ancients lost against the wraith and fighting the asurans is like fighting the ancients(in a sense)

Mister Oragahn
April 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM
it's called evolution they can't for ten season fight with sticks and stones they can defend a planet with only a stargate.

the oupost on earth has almost no drones left.

so when a ori ship comes they need to trow a rock.

the whole meaning was go to other planets find advanced technology that can defend the planet the gate will always be used becouse it is the fastest way to travel.

and even if we had a hundred ships with all the technology of the asgard we won't be able to win easy the ancients lost against the wraith and fighting the asurans is like fighting the ancients(in a sense)

I prefered the old way where our chances of survival where more due to our allies than our latest wanktoy.

Wraith_Boy
April 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
To an extent I agree with you (and thanks for managing to disagree without having to RED me...yes you know who you are).

But in the SG universe at the minute, we have Oddyessy, Daedelus and the Apollo, not counting Atlantis itself. I think that should be plenty to keep us occupied for now.

My problem isn't with ships per se, it's that we can now jump galaxies in days, shoot fancy ray guns and instantly teleport in and out of danger. Perhaps I'm wrong but SG1 was so alluring because it was POSSIBLE! The mythology fitted in and this even went so far as to match up with Atlantis, but now we've come so far (IMHO too far) in a very short space of time.

That said, I love the show and will continue to watch for the forseeable.

The problem with that was in the beginning they were just starting out. Over the past 10 years, they've gained knowledge & technology.

In history, people use to travel long distances across the sea that would take donks to complete. Now they use planes that can do it in mere hours. Exact same scenario!

Ships is the natural progression to this in the SG universe. What good is the gate if Wraith or whoever are attacking you via powerful ships. You can't P90 them from the ground. The Gate will always be the primary method of travel when possible in the shows. Why waste hours, days, weeks on a ship when the gate can take you their in secs.

If ships weren't used, then all the Goa'uld needed to do was block access to certain gates with their own version of the Iris. With SG-1 doing the same, then nobody could ever have gotten anything accomplished. There would have been no threat. The reason that it worked was the fact that it was known that even without the gate, they would have still come in ship. The System Lords had tons of ships. Wraith have tons of ships, Ori have ships, Asurans have ships.

The simple fact is the gate is able to be blocked. So if that happens then there is no threat, no drama, no suspense = No Show! Ships have always been used from the beginning, it was just that they weren't advanced enough to get their own. Now they are! It doesn't mean they are still able to beat everyone, Wraith could use their numbers to destroy the ship that they send, while Asurans have ZPM's to boost their shields etc.

If anything, I'd say ships have well been underused in the show up until now. I'm not really caring for new ship models, just that they begin putting energy weapons on their ships as well as a few other bits & pieces.

Then they can write the enemies smarter, such as perhaps Wraith only travelling in armadas from now on. Perhaps see them finally being forced to deploy shields on their ships etc, etc.

So for me you can never have too much ship on ship action!

StevenCaldwell
April 25th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I prefered the old way where our chances of survival where more due to our allies than our latest wanktoy.

i do agree with this, but it would be nice to have the Daedalus or Apollo on hand with the weponry to take down any threat if needed.

VSHARMA
April 25th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Don't Fix it if its not Broken

ACharmedAsgard
April 25th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Well now we have

All the knowledge and technology of the Asgard

Any ship built with these modifications already part of it will then make the ship a new class as

The Odessey had the new technology added to it rather then the new technology built into it. So at the moment the odessey is still a deadalus class vessel

But with the new tech built in, the new ship - unless it's one we already know of - should be a new class

jenks
April 25th, 2007, 08:33 AM
According to JM, new Earth vessels are a long way off, but souped up versions of the existing ones may be seen alot sooner.

Mister Oragahn
April 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Don't Fix it if its not Broken

Too late? :)
As for Atlantis, I think it's not even fully built yet!

StevenCaldwell
April 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Even if we can use the asgard tech to build a new energy wepon for Atlantis we would stand a better chance of survivle on a new planet or where they go, if the shield were to fail ( or we deplet the ZPM )

I do think we need to soup up one of our ships if not 2, we need the extra fire power agenst the wraith, its a fact that the Daedalus or the Apollo havent got the weponary to take a hive ship down.

i agree that the Oddessy should get upgraded to defend earth, and i think that the Daedalus should get an upgrade too, to help defend Atlantis!

Wraith_Boy
April 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Even if we can use the asgard tech to build a new energy wepon for Atlantis we would stand a better chance of survivle on a new planet or where they go, if the shield were to fail ( or we deplet the ZPM )

I do think we need to soup up one of our ships if not 2, we need the extra fire power agenst the wraith, its a fact that the Daedalus or the Apollo havent got the weponary to take a hive ship down.

i agree that the Oddessy should get upgraded to defend earth, and i think that the Daedalus should get an upgrade too, to help defend Atlantis!

There is no safe place to go, read spoilers for 'The Seer' to see what I mean!

With 50+ Hives ships, probably hundreds of cruisers. While millions of Asurans, then I think you might need more than 1 ship to be able to do anything in Pegasus.

You take something like 5/6 304's with energy weapons to be able to do anything worthwhile. With that amount of ships & carefully planned tactics, the Wraith would be goners. Without ZPM's to boost the power of the weapons, I seriously doubt Asurans would be troubled too much.

If Earth has been saved from the Ori & they are gone. Then Earth still has the outpost in Antartica, with a ZPM to power all the Drones.

The only real threat they would face after that is Ha'taks, so the Drones would eat them up for breakfast. However you could build energy cannons on the surface of the planet. That would function like the Tollan Ion cannons, or the Ancient one in 'Trinity' where they could be fired from the surface & would take out all enemy ships that come into orbit of the planet.

Although you could keep 1 304 back to be launched in case of emergency.

Odyssey being the most powerful, if still around, should definitely be sent to Pegasus full-time to help take on Wraith & Asurans.

StevenCaldwell
April 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM
i think it would be nice to have the advantage for a change, instead of taking on a wraith hive ship, talking down a few darts with the rail guns, and getting our shield depleted and bailing out.

it would be nice to engage a hive ship and disroy it. if we do get these up grades then we will be able to do this.

garhkal
April 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM

I agree. It seems we have gotten trekified, with the newest and latest tech off the block.. That was alwasy one of the better things about the earlier seasons.. our defeating the enemy by luck or skill.. Not just tech.

genius21
April 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
but in the early seasons of sg1 they only had the goauld now they have two major enemy's the wraith and asurans and these two make the goauld look like baby's.

you can't fight wars and protect people only with luck and some skill a enemy learns to so skills will get learned.

new battleships in season four will not happen but upgrades on the existing ships will.

new technology is evolution and the reason of the stargate programme is to find new technology's that can help defend the earth so now they do and have that and people begin to complain about it.

even if we could directly build o'neill class ships we still have to fight hard it will not make earth all powerfull.

The Suicidal Goldfish
April 29th, 2007, 02:56 AM
My personal opinion is that the happenings in Unending will damage Atlantis (as a show).

Upgrading our 304's to the point where they can wipe out a couple of Ori motherships (ergo, a fair few Hive ships as well) means we wont realy have much to fear from the Wraith.

My fervent hope is that the Asgaard energy weapons will have been created SPECIFICALLY to destroy the Ori ships and will therefore have a negligable effect on other classes of vessel.

Here's hoping, anyways...

Gen_J_O'Neill
April 29th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I don't think we'll be getting a new class of ship for a while, but suped-up versions of our existing ones are definate! But I don't think they'll be as powerful as the Odyssey. Remember, it had a zpm and an asgard power core. I don't think the Daedalus, Appollo, or any other earth ship will have either. So they won't be as powerful. Instead of us being the underdog in a fight one on one, we might be evenly matched with a hive.

On the ship issue thats been discussed a lot here, my thinking is that its the natural progression of the show. After ten years I feel it would be strange if we didn't have some sort of ship. Like they say in 'Disclosure', since we first encountered an enemy Hat'ak we have been trying to build a viable countermeasure. And thats the way it would be in real life.

Wraith_Boy
April 29th, 2007, 05:35 AM
My personal opinion is that the happenings in Unending will damage Atlantis (as a show).

Upgrading our 304's to the point where they can wipe out a couple of Ori motherships (ergo, a fair few Hive ships as well) means we wont realy have much to fear from the Wraith.

My fervent hope is that the Asgaard energy weapons will have been created SPECIFICALLY to destroy the Ori ships and will therefore have a negligable effect on other classes of vessel.

Here's hoping, anyways...

I think not giving them it would hurt the show a lot more!

In Atlantis they destroy Wraith hives, personal shields, zpm's, Lantean warships, ultimate power sources, kill off living Ancients. The same crap they did in SG-1 all those years, where anything more advanced than an Alien toaster would be destroyed to stop them using it to their advantage.

In the beginning it was okay as they were just starting out, however now they are in an Ancient city, with access to it's database & technology. You can't base a show around Lanteans & it's main city but have the dwellers run around with no advanced tech. Yet the 2 enemies are probably the most ruthless out of any that's been faced so far in the SG Universe.

The show is primarily to do with Stargates. Wraith don't seem to have home bases that they have discovered as of yet (am sure they have some, but nobody knows of them as of yet), Asurans can use an iris to block their gate, same as Atlantis can do.

Hence that nullifies the Gate parts of the show. Therefore ships now come into the equation. If Atlantis didn't have ships, then they could only sit back & wait for the enemy to keep coming to them. Which like SG-1 for all those years with the threat of Goa'uld invasion, it would be a little stale. The only thing they could do was scavenge about Pegasus for ZPM's & weapons. The ships arrive & they suddenly they destroy them, just like in 'The Lost City', 'Threads' right at the last minute when it looks like all hope is gone. Then they done it in S2 of Atlantis when Daedalus showed up with it's advanced beaming tech & saved Atlantis. It's been done to death already.

We have a race that defeated the Ancients, probably the most powerful race to ever inhabit the universe. They had ZPM's, Drones, Energy Weapons, Shields, Uber Ships. Yet they couldn't defeat the Wraith. So why would humans with a much less powerful energy weapon because of the lack of ZPM's to power them at their full potential, with a max of 2 ships ever fighting together in the galaxy at any one time be able to wipe out 50+ Hives, 150+ Cruisers & many, many thousands of Darts.

The comes Asurans with all their knowledge & tech. Asgard themselves couldn't take on the Replicators. Were almost wiped out & only saved by the humans a number of times. Yet they were limited to Goa'uld & Asgard tech. Asurans have full Lantean tech at their disposal.

So while energy weapons may be able to allow them to destroy a Hive, they certainly wouldn't be able to stand with a few at any one time & get away with it. Therefore all it means it that Hives, now travel in packs to nullify the new weapons. While they aren't the threat anyhow, they are dying out & consigned to Pegasus. Asurans are the real threat, with the strength of their weapons & shields, the 304's probably won't be able to do much against them. It drops out over Asuras, fires it's energy weapons, the ZPM's hold the Asuran shields. They launch their own weapons fire, which will destroy the 304 (Minus ZPM) far quicker than any Asuran structure.

Again rules out another gung-ho attack, what it may mean is that even though they can destroy a Wraith ship 1-1, they may actually need the Wraith numbers intact to help battle the Asurans & weaken them.

So again, all it does it force the writers to make the enemies better & smarter in their tactics. Which is a good thing for any show!

marlowe54
April 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Will the pegasus galixy ever get a new class of ship? we have the Daedalus and the Apollo, which are the same class.

I hurd somewere that towards the mid season break we get a brand new class of ship, that comes to the Apollo aid. The ship is aquip with an energy type wepon like we sore the asgard use, along with asgard shield and beaming tech

where did you hear this?

jenks
April 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
It's BS.

jds1982
April 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Anytime they get near a new ship, they should have their destructive asses confined to the bridge for crimes against 'cool advanced technology'.

Why would you confine someone to the bridge? I would think they could do the most damage there. Now confining them to the brig I can see.

Jimbo-DR
April 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm telling you we should be pumping out 303's and fitting them with new Asgard upgraded subsystems as fast as we can. But of course we won't, and we'll probably lose one or two more cool ships between now and season 5.

StevenCaldwell
April 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM
The TPTB wont give us that amount of fire power straight away, for all we know they might not give us any upgrades at all!

LookSmart
April 30th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Well were bound to get at least some upgrades from now until season 5.But i also wonder what sort of design the 305 would be.....could it be like the aceints design i.e The Orion or somthing else?

The Suicidal Goldfish
April 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Seeing as JM has said repeatedly we wont be seeing a 305 for the foreseeable, I wouldn't worry yourself too much if I were you :D

IWKYZerocool
April 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
We will most likely see these upgrades in the new series 'Stargate Universe' as TPTB want to keep Atlantis and SG1 seperate.

genius21
April 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
JM already said that the upgrades will be available in atlantis.

on his blog someone asked of we would see a new ship in altantis he said not in this season but upgrades to existing ships will happen and will be seen mid season.

and what was said they want sg-1 and atlantis separed is nonsense we have seen asgard ships from earth weapons and technology from earth and much more all come from sg-1 even a zpm came from sg-1 stargate is stargate doesn't matter of it's sg-1 or atlantis or universe can't keep it seperate.

Wraith_Boy
April 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Why would you confine someone to the bridge? I would think they could do the most damage there. Now confining them to the brig I can see.

Because the Captain of the ship & all his crew would be there. Say a badass like Caldwell or Ellis who wouldn't let them away with anything. This way they'd be right in front of him consigned to the one location, so could not get near any important parts of the ship to do something silly that would ultimately screw the ship up in the end. You know if they're left alone, they'll find part, panel or display that'll take their fancy, they'll screw around & then the ship has it's working lifespan cut down to the end of the ep.

I thought that was a nicer place to 'sentence' them to rather than the brig. :D

At least if they're kept away from it, a new crew can take over the next Lantean warship that they come across. Then we may actually get to keep it for a change.

jds1982
April 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Because the Captain of the ship & all his crew would be there. Say a badass like Caldwell or Ellis who wouldn't let them away with anything. This way they'd be right in front of him consigned to the one location, so could not get near any important parts of the ship to do something silly that would ultimately screw the ship up in the end. You know if they're left alone, they'll find part, panel or display that'll take their fancy, they'll screw around & then the ship has it's working lifespan cut down to the end of the ep.

I thought that was a nicer place to 'sentence' them to rather than the brig. :D

At least if they're kept away from it, a new crew can take over the next Lantean warship that they come across. Then we may actually get to keep it for a change.

Not a chance your plan would work. McKay would sit on the self-destruct button or something.