This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So very confused about "The Return" Part 1

How did the ancient warship Tria travel millions of light years (it was found in between our galaxy and the Pegasus one after all) in 10,000 years? Rodney said it was traveling at .99 the speed of light. If light takes millions of years to travel from our galaxy to the other one, wouldn't it take that long for the ship to reach the Milky Way galaxy?

I just don't see how traveling at almost the speed of light the Tria was able to cover at least a million light years in 10,000 years.

Can someone explain that to me? Now, I do understand that if it really took 10,000 years at almost the speed of light to be where they were between galaxies, why only 12 years had passed for the crew (time dilation effects).

Don't even get me started on food for 12 years lol

Originally posted by quasarsky View Post
    How did the ancient warship Tria travel millions of light years (it was found in between our galaxy and the Pegasus one after all) in 10,000 years? Rodney said it was traveling at .99 the speed of light. If light takes millions of years to travel from our galaxy to the other one, wouldn't it take that long for the ship to reach the Milky Way galaxy?

I just don't see how traveling at almost the speed of light the Tria was able to cover at least a million light years in 10,000 years.

Can someone explain that to me? Now, I do understand that if it really took 10,000 years at almost the speed of light to be where they were between galaxies, why only 12 years had passed for the crew (time dilation effects).

They had their hyperdrive working till about 9999 light years before the Daedalus encountered them. Rodney even mentions it when he says, that's how they were able to travel a million light years without having left a million years ago.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

ah so it would take 12 years in stasis for the million year journey. due to time dilation effects. that takes care of the food problem.

Comment

They weren't in stasis, they were alive, conscious. They were travelling so fast that to them, they'd arrive in a matter of days, not years. They were strutting around their worship thanking whomever they believed in that they got out of Pegasus and would (hopefully) come to a new Ancient civilisation.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

what i dont get is that without hyperdrive they would go to the near speed of let so... how come they didnt hit anything along the way such as a planet or a ship or something
          sigpic

Comment

ah so it would take 12 years in stasis for the million year journey. due to time dilation effects. that takes care of the food problem.
            Where did we ever say anything about stasis? All though I'll give you that they may have used it for the majority of the crew, because honestly it makes sense as they did have their WARSHIPS equipped with them.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
              what i dont get is that without hyperdrive they would go to the near speed of let so... how come they didnt hit anything along the way such as a planet or a ship or something
              Because there ain't much in the void between galaxies.

Comment

OK. They were in hyperspace when their hyperdrive broken down. They had already traveled a fair distance when it did. They continued their journey going as fast as they could, .999 the speed of light. The closer you get to the speed of light, the slower times seems to pass for you. It could be like 1 second passes for them and a year passing for people at normal "speeds". I'm not sure what the time dilation differences would be, I was just using that as an example. So in short, they started at point A, used the hyperdrive until it broke down at point B, and was found by the Daedalus at point C. From point A to B, a few minutes or hours or even days passed. From point B to C, thousands of years passed until they were found by the Big D. If they hadn't been found by the Big D, they still would have had a long journey ahead of them. In fact, if that had happened, by the time they had reached Earth, the Tau'ri (Earth) could have advanced so much that they could have rivaled the Ancients. I mean, how advanced are we gonna be in another 5,000 years? Even in real life and not the SG universe, we will be WAAAAY beyond where we are now. IF we still exist in 5,000 years from now. Which I highly doubt.

Also, since they were in the void between galaxies, there's very little chance of hitting anything. It would be like a mosquito flying around here on earth, it's not likely to crash into another mosquito.
                Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

thanks Freekzilla but jds1982 already explained it to me lol . good point though about by the time they would have reached earth it would have perhaps been as advanced as the ancients themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
                    OK. If they hadn't been found by the Big D, they still would have had a long journey ahead of them. In fact, if that had happened, by the time they had reached Earth, the Tau'ri (Earth) could have advanced so much that they could have rivaled the Ancients. I mean, how advanced are we gonna be in another 5,000 years? Even in real life and not the SG universe, we will be WAAAAY beyond where we are now. IF we still exist in 5,000 years from now. Which I highly doubt.
                    As much as we will be more advanced in 5,000 years time, I'm afraid we'd still be far from as advanced as the Ancients (Sad I know ).

It took the Ancients millions of years rather then just thousands to get where they are at this point, so in 5,000 years time we wouldn't be able to rival them. The only way we could get anywhere close in that time would be if we intergrated enough of their and other race's technology into our own and were also able to fully understand it.

Oh and also, if the Ancients could survive millions of years without dieing out completely I'm sure we could - especially if our race starts to branch out throughout the universe.
                    sigpic
                    Spoiler:
                    President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                    President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                    Forum Charmer
                    Forum Ambassador
                    Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Thats SCIENCE FICTION. Its highly unlikely that it would take millions of years to reach the level of technology of the ancients. Humans in real life have progressed more in the last 100 years than the humans over the previous several thousand years. Were advancing fast, and I don't know whats going to stop us.
                      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                        Thats SCIENCE FICTION. Its highly unlikely that it would take millions of years to reach the level of technology of the ancients. Humans in real life have progressed more in the last 100 years than the humans over the previous several thousand years. Were advancing fast, and I don't know whats going to stop us.
                        Yes it is science fiction, because Stargate is a SCIENCE FICTION series LOL.

When I talked about us advancing, I was talking about the people of Earth in Stargate, where the rules of one race has to apply to the other. If the rules of the Ancient's advancement wasn't applied to the future advancement of earth in the series then the entire chronological history of the Ancients would be questioned.
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        Forum Charmer
                        Forum Ambassador
                        Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Thing is that after a point your chances or realistically advancing become limited, its one of those curves that tends towards infinity. You can advance really quickly then end at a point where you run out of things to improve.

For the OP, its 12 years to them because the closer you get to the speed of light the more time slows down for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                            Yes it is science fiction, because Stargate is a SCIENCE FICTION series LOL.

When I talked about us advancing, I was talking about the people of Earth in Stargate, where the rules of one race has to apply to the other. If the rules of the Ancient's advancement wasn't applied to the future advancement of earth in the series then the entire chronological history of the Ancients would be questioned.
                            I'm gonna disagree with ya there. You ever hear the phrase "standing on the shoulders of giants"? I believe it was coined by Isaac Newton to illustrate how his work was based off of previous scientists. In the same way, at least in SG, Earth technology has advanced because of other races knowledge. Because others went before Earth and showed them the way, it takes less time for them to make the same advances. I imagine that because they have access to Ancient and Asgard tech, they will advace significantly faster than the Ancients did.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              I'm gonna disagree with ya there. You ever hear the phrase "standing on the shoulders of giants"? I believe it was coined by Isaac Newton to illustrate how his work was based off of previous scientists. In the same way, at least in SG, Earth technology has advanced because of other races knowledge. Because others went before Earth and showed them the way, it takes less time for them to make the same advances. I imagine that because they have access to Ancient and Asgard tech, they will advace significantly faster than the Ancients did.
                              I agree with you on that one because the earth in Stargate has managed feats that they would never of managed in the time its taken them, if they had no help.

However, if Earth didn't have the asistance they've had in Stargate, then like I said it would take millions of years for them to be equal to the Ancients, otherwise people would ask how it took earth only a few thousand years to reach that point, while it took the more intelligent Ancients millions.
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              Forum Charmer
                              Forum Ambassador
                              Prince of The Hugglings

Comment

Working...
                              X