Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Serious Issues With The Ori" thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Serious Issues With The Ori" thread.

Well, I.. uh.. I've got issues with the Ori.... (bet you didn't know that)

My reasons for... disliking the Ori so, you ask? It may be just me, but I see way too many parallels with the Ori to Christianity.

-Edit- I decided I didn't need to keep these examples- ...Just as I can't ignore other things, like the fact that in "Beachhead" the prior is mumbling in something that sounds just like Latin! And there are many other things that I can't think of right now.

But I keep seeing things that strike me as either anti Christian or even sometimes anti religion! I am really disappointed with all of this and I hope they either change some things or get rid of the Ori OR even keep the Ori but also have thing to counter it, something pro religion, pro Christianity.

So far, they've been pretty good with this. Every time they had anything that seemed anti religion they did counter it with something almost pro, but I'm just not seeing it with the whole Ori plot. I've always liked the fact that Stargate was never blatantly anti religion, which was kind of a relief coming from watching Star Trek, which did have blatantly anti religion eps. But I'm starting to get worried about that.

Now, even if I am wrong and even if they aren't really doing anything wrong, the fact that I'm seeing any of this means they are at least walking a fine line. If I'm seeing these things then I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, if any of TPTB see this, please do something about it. Please clear up the confusion at least a little.

Um, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here...-Edited out unneccesary stuff- ...Yes, I know it's just a show and what they say or do doesn't really matter, but if they continue to make me uncertain and confused about this whole thing then I may just stop watching it. Because, yes, it is just a show and I am just a fan and this fan is just going to stop being one if TPTB don't do something about it!

Erm... uh.... hmm. Sorry 'bout that.... [-EDIT- What I meant by that was if the show makes me this uncomfortable then it's not entertaining anymore [scifi = entertainment] which is why I would stop watching it. -Another EDIT: But uncomfortable is something I'd rather not feel when watching something that's supposed to be entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I definitely won't stop watching it! Don't you worry about that! ....so I lied. No, actually, I was trying to make a point and got carried away. Ahem. Yeah.]

So, am I completely insane and alone or does anyone out there actually agree with me?

-----------------------
    -MORE EDITs- I've decided to add some stuff from later in the thread here so that people just reading it for the first time can kinda get cought up a little easier.

A few people have argued that Origin represents any kind of extremism.

(me answering Deevil's statement, I would never directly attribute them to Catholosism or any version of Christianity.) See, it doesn’t have to be direct... Whether TPTB were trying to or not, they definitely have reminded, not just me, but a lot of people of Christianity. And putting the Ori in a bad light could very well make people see Christianity in a bad light as well, whether consciously or subconsciously...
    But when they start making allusions to an existing religion and put the thing making the allusions in a bad light, make it evil, then they really start walking a fine line, in my opinion...

Something I did forget was: (jenks) Well isn't Latin ment to be very similar to Ancient, like it probably originated from a variation of the language the surviving Ancients were speaking on earth...

(me) Still, nowadays the Catholic mass is really the only place where they still speak Latin, so you can see how that bugged me. Not to mention that the priors look kinda like monks. And with him speaking something that sounds like Latin and holding that staff (which reminds me of bishops’ staffs) and wearing a robe with a hood like a monk, you can’t deny that it looks (to some) like a stab at the Catholic church.

(Dani347) It's the words that bother me. They're too close to Biblical words... Or if they actually tried being original and came up with their own ideas (believe me, we're not stupid we'd be able to understand the concept that these beings with an unfamiliar religion were trying to force worship) that would be better. If they had some devout people of Christian.. [or] other actual religions and made up religions fighting the Ori along with people who didn't believe in a higher power that would help. Right now, the feel isn't "religious extremists" it's "religious which means extremists."

Deevil and I then discussed how she thought I was generalizing, which took up a few pages along with some OT stuff.

(me)Well, whether or not anyone feels the same way I do in this matter, at least the fact that we've had this long discussion (or argument if you're PG15) will hopefully at very least get TPTB to thinking.

(Skydiver) to me, the extremists that lept to my mind with the Ori are the Muslim Extremists. The ones that would happily blow me to bits because i'm not one of thier own and therefore not worthy of living. That's one of hte main reasons i don't care for the Ori. They're a little too timely. A little too close to home.

(me) So, you (ParadoxRealities) are saying that you think they may be trying to make Christians (and others) think about what their religion really means and not to take their religion into their own hands and deform it to their wants and needs and to lose the whole meaning of it? That makes sense, I suppose... *ponders more*

(ParadoxRealities) not only that, but to not feel compelled to stand up for the people who use their religion as a weapon. to realize that when people say "damn insurgents/terrorists/bad missionaries/Medieval Catholic Church/Crusades/etc" they're not saying "damn Islam/Christianity/etc"

OriKiller and others discussed the meaning of extremism, where you find it today and whether or not the Ori represent it.

(Konman72) we are actually having a very enjoyable discussion about whether the Ori represent Islam alone or many/all religion. If it is the former, as OriKiller says, then the allusions to the Crusades are out of line, but if it is the latter then they are a means of condemning Christian doctrines that allow for violence, or just Christians who were manipulated into committing violence.

And I just thought I'd add these: (me) If you don't agree with me then that's fine! Just voice your opinions and I'll post mine and we'll both be on our merry way!... I didn't mean to say that they meant to "attack" anyone's religion… No hard feelings, anyone! …Please, my point in making this thread was simply to point out my reasons for not liking the Ori and for other people to think about what I have to say and maybe even for TPTB to see it and think about it. As their reason for the Ori was to make people think, it's my reason for making this thread.
    Last edited by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel; 16 July 2006, 09:31 PM.
    Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

As far as I'm concerned, the Ori represent ANY group of extremists, be them religious, christian, or...hip hop? And Extremists are bad in ANY form.

That's it. And despite what you say, I think you are taking the show a little too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel
      like the fact that in "Beachhead" the prior is mumbling in something that sounds just like Latin!
      Well isn't Latin ment to be very similar to Ancient, like it probably originated from a variation of the language the surviving Ancients were speaking on earth...

Comment

Well, I.. uh.. I've got serious issues with the Ori.... (bet you didn't know that)

My reasons for... disliking the Ori so, you ask? It may be just me, but I see way too many parallels with the Ori to Christianity, or more precisely, the Catholic church.

For example, book of origin reminds me of the bible, the guy who has Vala burned in "Avalon" says, "Blessed are those that deliver us from evil." which is like the end of the Our Father, not to mention the whole "hallowed" thing, in "Origin" Daniel says, "..on Earth, at some point, fire became associated with demonic imagery or evil. Hell, not heaven...I’m just wondering if the Ancients had something to do with that." As in... what? The Ancients made up hell? As in, there is no real hell? Sure, he says "just wondering", but I can't seem to ignore it. Just as I can't ignore other things, like the fact that in "Beachhead" the prior is mumbling in something that sounds just like Latin! And there are many other things that I can't think of right now.

Am I just being paranoid here? If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! I want to be wrong. But I keep seeing things that strike me as either anti Christian or even sometimes anti religion! I am really disappointed with all of this and I hope they either change some things or get rid of the Ori OR even keep the Ori but also have thing to counter it, something pro religion, pro Christianity.

So far, they've been pretty good with this. Every time they had anything that seemed anti religion they did counter it with something almost pro, but I'm just not seeing it with the whole Ori plot. I've always liked the fact that Stargate was never blatantly anti religion, which was kind of a relief coming from watching Star Trek, which did have blatantly anti religion eps. But I'm starting to get worried about that.

Now, even if I am wrong and even if they aren't really doing anything wrong, the fact that I'm seeing any of this means they are at least walking a fine line. If I'm seeing these things then I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Another thing, all this seems to have started around the same time as The Da Vinci Code (which is full of lies and fiction) came out. Coincidence? Or are they trying to get some of The Da Vinci Code's fans more interested in SG-1? I don't know.

So, if any of TPTB see this, please do something about it. Please clear up the confusion at least a little.

Um, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here, but I'm kinda tired and I just really felt like I had to say something... If you think I'm crazy then I guess there's nothing I can do about it. I'm serious about my faith and I can get pretty huffy if I feel like my faith is being challenged or falsely portrayed . Yes, I know it's just a show and what they say or do doesn't really matter, but if they continue to make me uncertain and confused about this whole thing then I may just stop watching it. Because, yes, it is just a show and I am just a fan and this fan is just going to stop being one if TPTB don't do something about it!

Erm... uh.... hmm. Sorry 'bout that....

So, am I completely insane and alone or does anyone out there actually agree with me?
        I see what you mean...
        I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

I share your issues (except I'm not Catholic). And, if the show had been insulting to women (on which occasion it has been, imo) or minorities, or the handicap, I believe that people would sympathize with those who found that objectionable. But, the same somehow doesn't hold with this issue.

With the Goa'uld they had the Goa'uld take names of gods, mascarade around in fancy clothes and enslave people. The enslaving was a bad thing, but they did not have them speak the tenants or the words of the gods, so it wasn't like they were saying that the actual figures they represented were evil. There was a clear distinction between them. Why couldn't the Ori absorb power through servitude and not worship? Or, if worship, why couldn't tptb actually come up with something original since they had a brand new opportunity to create something. And, I'll say right here and now that the argument that they had to use an existing religion (or religions) to base their fake gods on is faulty. Scifi fans consitently suspend disbelief, are always able to see things beyond what actually exists (or we wouldn't be able to swallow the concept of people ascending, going through Stargates, being revived by sarcaphoguses? sarcaphogi? I never know - and a host of other things.). And, the big thing is, this isn't an off shoot of followers taking anything to an extreme never intended. This is a group of faithful followers following the exact spirit and law of the Ori.

It's the words that bother me. They're too close to Biblical words. If they were all about their powers that would fine. Or if they actually tried being original and came up with their own ideas (believe me, we're not stupid we'd be able to understand the concept that these beings with an unfamiliar religion were trying to force worship) that would be better. If they had some devout people of Christian (Mitchell doesn't necessarily count since having a grandma doesn't mean he has a belief), other actual religions and made up religions fighting the Ori along with people who didn't believe in a higher power that would help. Right now, the feel isn't "religious extremists" it's "religious which means extremists."

And, I hate it because this happens at the exact same time that I'm enjoying all the main characters. Some more than I have since the beginning of the show.

Why couldn't they have an evil bunny rabbit as the enemy of season 9?
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well, I.. uh.. I've got serious issues with the Ori.... (bet you didn't know that)

My reasons for... disliking the Ori so, you ask? It may be just me, but I see way too many parallels with the Ori to Christianity, or more precisely, the Catholic church.

For example, book of origin reminds me of the bible, the guy who has Vala burned in "Avalon" says, "Blessed are those that deliver us from evil." which is like the end of the Our Father, not to mention the whole "hallowed" thing, in "Origin" Daniel says, "..on Earth, at some point, fire became associated with demonic imagery or evil. Hell, not heaven...I’m just wondering if the Ancients had something to do with that." As in... what? The Ancients made up hell? As in, there is no real hell? Sure, he says "just wondering", but I can't seem to ignore it. Just as I can't ignore other things, like the fact that in "Beachhead" the prior is mumbling in something that sounds just like Latin! And there are many other things that I can't think of right now.

Am I just being paranoid here? If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! I want to be wrong. But I keep seeing things that strike me as either anti Christian or even sometimes anti religion! I am really disappointed with all of this and I hope they either change some things or get rid of the Ori OR even keep the Ori but also have thing to counter it, something pro religion, pro Christianity.

Another thing, all this seems to have started around the same time as The Da Vinci Code (which is full of lies and fiction) came out. Coincidence? Or are they trying to get some of The Da Vinci Code's fans more interested in SG-1? I don't know.

Um, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here, but I'm kinda tired and I just really felt like I had to say something... If you think I'm crazy then I guess there's nothing I can do about it. I'm serious about my faith and I can get pretty huffy if I feel like my faith is being challenged or falsely portrayed . Yes, I know it's just a show and what they say or do doesn't really matter, but if they continue to make me uncertain and confused about this whole thing then I may just stop watching it. Because, yes, it is just a show and I am just a fan and this fan is just going to stop being one if TPTB don't do something about it!

Erm... uh.... hmm. Sorry 'bout that....

Some of the same thoughts have crossed my mind. The Ori don't sit well with me either.

Comment

I always saw the Ori as a manifestation of all extremest in any religion... I would never directly attribute them to Catholosism or any version of Christianity.

Stargate is not anti-religion, it's anti-extremism. You'll find that we have encountered many religions (like that of the people in Thors Hammer) that are peaceful people, who are not zealots. Stargate tends to focus on those who are.

I don't think Stargate have to be pro or anti-religion... I think they have to be true to their story. First, the Ori are in no way God's, they play Gods because they can. Many cult leaders have pretended to be God's before because they have the power, and the ability to use that power. Essentially, that is no different then the Ori. They have power and technology. If you were starving and someone created rice out of thin air, wouldn't you assume they were a god?

I doubt Ori were used to get fans of The DaVinci Code into the show (and I am not 100% sure everything in it are lies - but that's a question of personal belief ), because a) the davinci code is very different to Stargate and the Ori, and b) there hasn't been any promotion about the Ori. I think they are just an evolution and a step up from the Goa'uld. Simply put, it is hard to convince someone they are not a god when they can bring someone back from the dead and cure disease? You really can't, so then there's a chance you cna loose.

As for fire not always being associated with hell or that kind of ideal... It's quite true, historically speaking fire was not feared like that. It was not a manifestation of hell. TPTB are using actual historical belief systems that did exist. I don't believe Daniel ever confirmed or denied the existance of hell, only that it wasn't always associated with fire. Just like burning someone isn't a solely christian punishment. And as someone said, the Ori and Ancients are essentially the same people... Since the ancients speak a derivitive of Latin, the Ori would as well. And Latin also is not solely a Christian/Catholic language.

I am not saying you have no right to your opinion, but I am saying there is more history in religion then Christianity ever covers, and a lot of religious pomp and circumstance is not singualr to Christianity - and some of that pre-dates Christianity. And I think they have been very careful not to make it not a direct representation of any religion. Therefore, it can't misrepresent a religion.

Personally I think next season we are going to learn more about the Ori's followers, not just their religious crap. Or at least, I hope so. I don't hate the Ori because I love the idea of them, I just need other information on them.
              Last edited by Deevil; 27 June 2006, 01:56 AM.
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I think linking Ori with religious extremists is quite stupid when you think about it, they're only using religion to get people to worshipo them with allows them to sap power from them (somehow). Its about power not getting people the think the way they do, religion is just the means to get that power...

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                  I always saw the Ori as a manifestation of all extremest in any religion... I would never directly attribute them to Catholosism or any version of Christianity.

Stargate is not anti-religion, it's anti-extremism.
                  See, it doesn’t have to be direct. Yes, I know that they never directly attribute the Ori to anything really, except powerful and evil beings. It’s the fact that the Ori remind me too much of Christianity, that they draw too many parallels, that they seem to make subtle hints and reminders, little things that connect the Ori to Christianity.

Whether TPTB were trying to or not, they definitely have reminded, not just me, but a lot of people of Christianity. And putting the Ori in a bad light could very well make people see Christianity in a bad light as well, whether consciously or subconsciously.

”Distort the truth and people will think it has some basis in fact. Take a truth and phrase it in such a way that it looks suspicious, or juxtapose it with an acknowledged evil, and the mind will be tempted to draw all sorts of ill-founded conclusions.”

That’s not exactly what’s going on here, but the idea is the same. If they continue to have this religion that reminds people of Christianity and make it the bad religion, put it in a bad light, then the next thing you know people might start seeing Christianity the same way, or, at least, similarly, whether they know it or not.

And the thing about the DaVinci Code, I didn’t really mean that they’re trying to get the movie’s audience and draw them to Stargate. What I meant (or, at least, what I was trying to say) was that the fact that the movie did come out around the same time is just going to help that bad view on Christianity, and a side effect might be that people who liked the movie would like the Ori and the feeling they portray to some of us. It’s just very bad timing, I suppose...

And I think they have been very careful not to make it not a direct representation of any religion. Therefore, it can't misrepresent a religion.

I don't think Stargate have to be pro or anti-religion...
                  It really isn’t. But when they start making illusions to an existing religion and put the thing making the illusions in a bad light, make it evil, then they really start walking a fine line.

And I feel that’s what they’ve done here.

And as someone said, the Ori and Ancients are essentially the same people... Since the ancients speak a derivitive of Latin, the Ori would as well. And Latin also is not solely a Christian/Catholic language.
                  Yeah, I did forget about that. Still, nowadays the Catholic mass is really the only place where they still speak Latin, so you can see how that bugged me. Not to mention that the priors look kinda like monks. And with him speaking something that sounds like Latin and holding that staff (which reminds me of bishops’ staffs) and wearing a robe with a hood like a monk, you can’t deny that it looks (to some) like a stab at the Catholic church.

~Myn

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                    I think linking Ori with religious extremists is quite stupid when you think about it, they're only using religion to get people to worshipo them with allows them to sap power from them (somehow). Its about power not getting people the think the way they do, religion is just the means to get that power...
                    And I don't have any problem with that. I don't have any problem with the idea of the Ori or the priors themselves, I have a problem with how TPTB portray them. Or, more precisely, their religion. I know the Ori don't really care about the religion itself, as long as they have people worshiping them and giving them power. But, TPTB have the power to portray that religion any which way they please, and they happened to portray it as having quite a few similarities with Christianity.

sigpic

Comment

The Ori symbolise the worst aspects of blind religion and religious extremism. They personfy extreme religious zeal, intolerance and prosyletism. Stargate doesn't attack faith, it attacks blind religious extremeism and the dangers of forcing your religion on others.

The difference between Christianity and Origin is that the Origin followers actually know their God(s) exist, rather just than having faith.

From Origin

DOCI: (under direct Ori control) The Ori do not require blind faith. Only that you believe what you see.

From Babylon

MITCHELL: Thank you. All right, I'll make this quick. That Prior represents a race of Ancients, yes. But believe me when I tell you, they are not the Ancients you want to worship.

HAIKON: The Prior has healed our sick. Caused our crops to grow as if by magic. Why should I doubt the power of the Ori?

MITCHELL: Look, their power is not what you should question. It's how they use it. Anyone refuses to worship them, and they die. And I'm not talking about a few non-believers here and there. I'm talking about whole planets wiped out!

HAIKON: And I should simply take your word for this?

MITCHELL: You want to believe my people are godless and inferior? Go right ahead. But we have never needed proof of our gods' existence in order to believe in them. Faith. It was your faith that sustained you for five thousand years, not the Ancients themselves. Don't throw your history away for a bag full of magic tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                        The Ori symbolise the worst aspects of blind religion and religious extremism. They personify extreme religious zeal, intolerance and prosyletism. Stargate doesn't attack faith, it attacks blind religious extremeism and the dangers of forcing your religion on others.
                        Not only do I completely agree, but see many examples of this in the Stargate Universe. Examples include...

From SG-1:
                        Hathor (Hathor)
                        Seth (Seth)
                        Ra (Stargate film, Moebius)

From SGA:
                        The human worshippers of Wraith (The Hive)

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
                        The difference between Christianity and Origin is that the Origin followers actually know their God(s) exist, rather just than having faith.

From Origin

DOCI: (under direct Ori control) The Ori do not require blind faith. Only that you believe what you see.
                        Agreed. They aren't attacking religion, but blind faith.... this includes the entire Goa'uld story arc seeing as people believed they were gods, when they are infact symbiotes... living beings... who kept people as slaves, etc.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                          Agreed. They aren't attacking religion, but blind faith.... this includes the entire Goa'uld story arc seeing as people believed they were gods, when they are infact symbiotes... living beings... who kept people as slaves, etc.

Mattathias
                          Ah, but that's the key phrase there: "They aren't attacking religion, but blind faith...."

The quotes that Wraith Scientist posted seemed to indicate that the Ori don't want blind faith and that they claim to have "proof". Some might say that Christianity does reqire a lot of faith. So, clarify this for me, are you saying that Stargate is against strong faith or are you saying it's against placing your faith in just anything, willy-nilly?

Define "blind faith".

sigpic

Comment

See, the thing is, Origin is made up to be your run-of-the-mill religion, with fancy phrases and the abundant usage of "sin, judge", and other stuff. Why? Because the writers are most likly Christian. They don't know any other phrasing for the ideas they're trying to get across, which means that Origin will remind many of Christianity.

You know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                              See, the thing is, Origin is made up to be your run-of-the-mill religion, with fancy phrases and the abundant usage of "sin, judge", and other stuff. Why? Because the writers are most likly Christian. They don't know any other phrasing for the ideas they're trying to get across, which means that Origin will remind many of Christianity.

You know what I mean?
                              Absolutely! I do see what you mean and that's a good point. However, I'm not saying that writers are doing it on purpose, just that they're doing it. What are they doing? By phrasing their ideas like things taken from Christianity and using them for an evil race, they are, perhaps unintentionally, putting Christianity in a bad light.

Unintentionally...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X