This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why didn't the ancients go back

I know that the ancients were a peaceful race. but how could they abandon all those countless worlds to the wraith. if this alleged great alliance of the four races was established for doing good things . Why would they not help the ancients design better weapons to kill large groups of wraith. IF they refused to help then why didn't the ancients make it their mission to go back to pegasus after they rebuilt their society

It's simple really. When they left they were defeated. The Wraith had every world in Pegasus and their resources at their command.

What did the Ancients have left? What little of them were left, left their last great technological resource behind and returned to a planet with little technology. Even if they scrapped together a couple of ships and ZPMs and returned to the Pegasus, they'd already had their butts handed to them and I don't think they were planning to lose all over again. Chances are they just never found a far-reaching solution before they died/ascended.

They didn't abandon, they fought and lost. Atlantis was probably one of their highest acheivements, since we aren't exactly running into intact Ancient cities everyday. When you've lost that, you don't exactly have much of a chance of building something better in time for it to matter, especially if you're starting from scratch.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

one word:

acension
      come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Originally posted by keppiezbt
        one word:

acension
        I agree dont the ancients have the power to control the weather - they could easily kill all the wraith - but i believe the only reason they dont is because they are ignorant.
        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by oragans
          I agree dont the ancients have the power to control the weather - they could easily kill all the wraith - but i believe the only reason they dont is because they are ignorant.
          Ok the ancients can control the weather but their not storm from the xmen they can't just target certain things with lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
            Ok the ancients can control the weather but their not storm from the xmen they can't just target certain things with lightning.
            no but they could make a planet -50 degrees i guess, but the wraith have to be on a planet for that, and as far as we know wraith exist in space

Comment

Originally posted by 4574
              no but they could make a planet -50 degrees i guess, but the wraith have to be on a planet for that, and as far as we know wraith exist in space
              Hive ships are made for the vaccum of space. Im sure they would be fine seeing how they hibernate in the hive ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                oh no i believe oma managed it in the episode Maternal Instinct Season 3.
                i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

if the ancients knew they would never return because they had no chance at winning then they should have just taken atlantis back to MW.

Comment

Maybe they can't help the people in Pegasus because of the Orii.
                    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by jsw
                      I know that the ancients were a peaceful race. but how could they abandon all those countless worlds to the wraith. if this alleged great alliance of the four races was established for doing good things . Why would they not help the ancients design better weapons to kill large groups of wraith. IF they refused to help then why didn't the ancients make it their mission to go back to pegasus after they rebuilt their society
                      Realistically, they could abandon everybody there because they were in a position that they could no longer help even themselves, so they had to flee. Not a fun thing to do, and I'm sure at least some of them felt guilt over it, but had they stayed, they merely would have died along with the rest.

The best laid plans and all that, y'know....

Comment

Originally posted by Acropolis
                        if the ancients knew they would never return because they had no chance at winning then they should have just taken atlantis back to MW.
                        That's one thing that's always puzzled me, why didn't they take atlantis with them. I'm guessing that atlantis has far superior enhines then the Wraith, so I'm guessing being pursued wasn't the reason, so it did make me wonder.

The only suggestion I could make is that Atlantis is more vulnerable when in flight. Maybe the shield becomes weaker, making them a better target, or the shield under atlantis is weaker or summin. But other then that it really made no sense to abandon atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by tomchris45
                          That's one thing that's always puzzled me, why didn't they take atlantis with them. I'm guessing that atlantis has far superior enhines then the Wraith, so I'm guessing being pursued wasn't the reason, so it did make me wonder.

The only suggestion I could make is that Atlantis is more vulnerable when in flight. Maybe the shield becomes weaker, making them a better target, or the shield under atlantis is weaker or summin. But other then that it really made no sense to abandon atlantis!
                          The Wraith had a pretty big blocade on the planet (see 'Rising II'). Atlantis probably wouldn't have made it out of orbit before it was surrounded and destroyed.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by jsw
                            They could have also gone back when the wraith went into hibernation and taken out a bunch of hive ships with synchronised strikes, but I guess they just gave it up as a lost cause and went back to the MW to hide. It just seems there were a lot of things they could have done different, instead of ascending to get above it all and past their own mistakes.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

by the looks of things to me the ancients were a bunch of wusses that was all high n mighty till they got wasted by somethin they might of created

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                              X