X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell me it gets better.....

Hi guys,

Here in Australia we have only seen episode 4 (Thirty-eight Minutes) and I have to say that the show is pretty average/terrible so far. The only highlight has been when McKay & Sheppard are playing with the shield device at the beginning of episode 3. Other than that it has been a very half hearted effort on behalf of TPTB. The scripts are very ordinary, Weir/Higginson is AWFUL and in general it just seems to be missing. I am a huge fan of SG1 and the Stargate universe and would never have suspected Atlantis to be as woefull as it has been so far. Please tell me that it gets better. Other than my complaint above I think that in general Atlantis has a very talented cast, it just can't seem to get the script right.

Well, Steve... the short answer is... yes... but I'm somewhat biased because I like Atlantis a lot... more than I like SG-1... *gulp* Thirty-Eight Minutes is actually one of my favourites...
    I suggest you persevere... many people believe that the second half is even better than the first...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well, your complaints sound exactly like the ones on this forum a few months ago when Atlantis just started, but I think a lot of people like it now.
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Yes, yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          Well, Steve... the short answer is... yes... but I'm somewhat biased because I like Atlantis a lot... I suggest you persevere... many people believe that the second half is even better than the first...
          The good episodes are Underground, The Storm, The Eye, Sanctuary, Letters from Pegasus and The Siege Parts 1 and 2. Atlantis takes a bit of getting used to as it is based on a different premise to SG1
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I agree it does get better, but I'm biased since I've loved it from the beginning.

The Storm and the Eye are great for the action and suspense and Letters is good for some laughs but has its serious moments (lots of great little moments for the cast and supporting casts, Bates, Beckett and Zelenka - I love these guys ). For a less action orientated one that IMHO brilliant is Before I Sleep.

Agree with Easter 38 mins is pretty good as well as Suspicion (if only for Bates and Shep's interaction with Steve).

Atlantis is different from SG-1, I guess because it's civilian there are more clashes between the differing opinions. Makes it more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
              The good episodes are Underground, The Storm, The Eye, Sanctuary, Letters from Pegasus and The Siege Parts 1 and 2. Atlantis takes a bit of getting used to as it is based on a different premise to SG1
              Yep best episodes there! although you missed out the Brotherhood!

Comment

Originally posted by Grin
                Yep best episodes there! although you missed out the Brotherhood!
                The Brotherhood is the only episode of Season 1 that I haven't seen so I can't really comment. But from the bits I've seen from LFP and various music vids, it looks pretty cool.

Comment

It gets good I promise... remember a lot of people didn't like SG-1 when it started either... just give it time and take the bad episodes in your stride because you *know* good ones will come along soon, as they always do
                  meh

Comment

The second half of Atlantis is excellent there is continued flow/continuity from one episode to next, great acting, some interesting twists and compelling storylines. So the answer is YES after the Rising it did go down hill for me but second half makes it up.
                    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by stevepax_2000
                      Hi guys,
                      Please tell me that it gets better. Other than my complaint above I think that in general Atlantis has a very talented cast, it just can't seem to get the script right.
                      Stick with it. . everything gets better. . .even Weir.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I actually have not seen a lot of the first half episodes, including Suspicion, Poisoning the Well, and Underground, so I cannot comment on their quality. However, I really enjoyed Home and the two parter Storm/Eye, so I recommend holding out for those before making any decisions about season one.
                        I also think Weir does quite a nice job in Before I Sleep, so try waiting for that one as well.

Comment

It definitely does get better!

I, however, did like those first eps, including 38 minutes. I'm also quite a Weir fan, so we obviously differ in taste quite a bit. Saying that though, there are some episodes that pretty much everyone seems to have enjoyed, including the middle two parter - The Storm and The Eye (especially the second half) and the finale two-parter (they're good at those on Atlantis ) The Siege parts 1 and 2. All four eps/parts are excellent with action, brilliant character moments, intriguing plots, suspense etc etc
                          Uncontrolled Destiny
                          My Atlantis Music Videos (Shep/Weir and Misc.)

Comment

Ahh now you've reminded me of "Home" yet another great episode!!!

Comment

Keep watching it turns out to be worth it. Rising was just OK as was 38 minutes. But right after that things began their uphill climb with the sense of impending doom in regards to the Wraith. There was a nice tension broken up by occasional moments of levity.
                              I really wasn't singing the praises of the show either after the first couple episodes but the second half turned out to be so much better. I still don't like Weir much but she doesn't seem as usless and boring in the last couple episodes as she did in the beginning. If this is an inclination of how things will continue, I'll be watching for a long time. Maybe they can even fix their Teyla (yawn) issues like they have done with Wier.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
                              X