This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galactic Maps

I tried the search function to no avail.

So I looked through google and stuff but found nothing. Does anyone know of a Stargate map that includes the Milky Way, Pegasus, Midway etc? If an official one doesn't exist maybe a fan made one?
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

I've never found one.

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
    Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

There's that hologram of the Pegasus Galaxy in "Rising" but I don't know if that would count.

Comment

i've never found one for sg
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus 1 View Post
          I tried the search function to no avail.

So I looked through google and stuff but found nothing. Does anyone know of a Stargate map that includes the Milky Way, Pegasus, Midway etc? If an official one doesn't exist maybe a fan made one?
          i think making one would be too difficult. With any stargate able to access any other stargate within a gate-network, territories would be erratic, not definable as in Star Trek or Star Wars. Yet we still hear about "Ba'al's Territory" etc., and Replicators and wraith always seems to advance world-to-world

Also Stargate t.v. shows seem to contradict themselves a lot in this matter. Sam tells O'Neill once (sorry I can't remember the episode name) that few of the planets visible from Earth have stargates (wtf?) and Abydos is supposedly relatively close to Earth yet we're never told its sun's name. Some planets like Altair (comtraya!) are named after real stars, but maybe only accidently. Two real Galaxies are named Pegasus, but none are named Ida (much less "Ori") so we can assume they are Andromeda and possibly Triangulum (?) both of which are massive.
          Or maybe the Ori galaxy is much much further away outside the local group and maybe other offshoots of the ancients settled other galaxies (that is for SGU to address).

One thing is certain. There is no real cosmo-geographic consistancy.

i just made up a word.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group
          Last edited by DeRoest; 19 December 2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Go Green

Comment

[IMG] [/IMG]

Kudos if you can find the Ori galaxy

Go Green

Comment

So that's how squids reproduce!

Really though, we know that the Stargate Co-ords are based of constallations seen from Earth, so somebody with a lot of time and effort on their hands could gather the Gate Addresses of Planets we know, plot them on a Starchart, and you would be able to work out the planet in relation to Earth.

This could then be rendered in 3D, probably on a computer program of some sort, I'm sure there are 3D Starchart programs around.

However, that would take a lot of time and effort, and seeing as we don't know half the gate addresses of planets they visited, it's not going to be easy....

Altantis would be impossible to do, as we don't know what the stars look like from wherever the planet is that they based their addresses off look like...

Chulak, for instance, is...

Scorpius, Crater, Triangulum, Capricornus, Sextans, Sculptor.

Seeing as these Constellations lie in different Hemispheres from Earth, plotting them on a 2D Constellation Chart would be difficult, with a 3D chart being required.

Comment

The problem is, constellation look different from every perspective so which star in each constellation?

Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Rider View Post
                    The problem is, constellation look different from every perspective so which star in each constellation?
                    Earth was the ancients "reference" planet in the MWG. I guess Lantea was the "reference" in PG and Celestis in OG

Comment

I'd assume the Brightest Star, just for ease, so:

Scorpio: Antares/ Alpha Scorpii
                      Crater: Labrum/ Delta Crateris
                      Triangulum: Deltotum/ Deltoton/ Beta Trianguli
                      Capricornus: Deneb Algedi/ Scheddi/ Delta Capricorni
                      Sextans: Alpha Sextantis
                      Sculptor: Alpha Sculptoris

Using these 6 Stars, and with a highly detailed overview of the Milky Way, one could pinpoint the location that Chulak should, roughly, be.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a map of the Milky Way detailed enough with all these stars on, so :/

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                        I'd assume the Brightest Star, just for ease, so:

Scorpio: Antares/ Alpha Scorpii
                        Crater: Labrum/ Delta Crateris
                        Triangulum: Deltotum/ Deltoton/ Beta Trianguli
                        Capricornus: Deneb Algedi/ Scheddi/ Delta Capricorni
                        Sextans: Alpha Sextantis
                        Sculptor: Alpha Sculptoris

Using these 6 Stars, and with a highly detailed overview of the Milky Way, one could pinpoint the location that Chulak should, roughly, be.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a map of the Milky Way detailed enough with all these stars on, so :/
                        That makes sense. I'm gonna go search for a detailed MW map!

Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

That makes sense. I'm gonna go search for a detailed MW map!
                          Good Luck! If you find one, let me know, I've skimmed through a few websites, and Google Images didn't turn up much, best bet would be installing a Google-Earth like program where you can locate Stars, and plot lines between them, with varying scales. No idea where you'd be able to find something like that though, besides NASA... xD

Comment

Although there's no official Stargate map showing the relative positions of the galaxies, the following link might be of interest.

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/localgr.html

The diagram shows the relative positions of the galaxies in our "local group" which contains only three major galaxies--Milky Way, Andromeda and Triangulum. The rest are smaller "irregulars" such as the Pegasus galaxy (shown as the Pegasus Dwarf). Pegasus is in similar proximity to us as Triangulum, although the diagram's perspective can be a bit deceiving as both are approximately 3 million light years from us. (Think 3D). The Andromeda Galaxy is about 2.2 million light years away.

Note that the dwarfs and/or irregualrs, including Pegasus, do not have spiral arms like the big 3.

And to get an inkling as to the scale of the universe try zooming in and out on the diagram.

Hope I didn't scare anyone off with this info.
                            My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

this ought to be of some interest to you

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49576

there is a map in a spoiler tag on one of those posts

Comment

Working...
                              X