This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul McGillion leaving.... to new show?

is his leaving apart of a new story arc from the writers?

have the run out of ideas for him?

or perhaps will he be apart of this new rumoured stargate spinoff to be created ad produced after sg1 finishes??

im wandering this because his character is incredibly likeable and would fit easily into a new series bringing a new dynamic, and again we know a little about his character so would bring in audiences

any thoughts please comment

Nobody knows the real reason behind this turn of events.

That's the only thing we know about it.

Comment

I'm pissed off to say the least. Cancel Sg-1, whatever, but make my favorite charater a full timer to just get rid of him!?! I'm pissed!!!

Comment

It's not really surprising that Beckett's leaving Atlantis. He was always a minor character, usually around only to serve as a foil to Rodney's shenanigans. Even when they bumped him from recurring guest to actual cast member (and they gave him a "__" as "__" in the credits, no less!) he was still only ever a minor character.

I'm disappointed that they didn't bother expanding his character. His sensitive side made him a good contrast to Sheppard's and Weir's toughness, and his grounded practicality played well off Rodney's eccentricities.

Plus he was cute and I love his accent. I'll have to rifle through my DVDs and see if I can find Atlantis season 2, so I can re-watch Duets.
        sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

First they get rid of Ford, now Beckett. Not a good move at all IMO. Such a shame too. Personally, I really liked Paul as Carson on the show.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

He will be much miss. Beckett is second to McKay for me on the show. No more Beckett/McKay banters is going to really sucks, big time.

I hope they can write for others interpersonal moments like these two. It is the highlight of the show for me.

And I truly wish Paul the very best in whatever he does in the aftermath of this rather unjustified action by TPTB.

Comment

Originally posted by furiousfurling View Post

or perhaps will he be apart of this new rumoured stargate spinoff to be created ad produced after sg1 finishes??

im wandering this because his character is incredibly likeable and would fit easily into a new series bringing a new dynamic, and again we know a little about his character so would bring in audiences

No one knows. I suspect the writers are like 'oh gee, we don' tknow what to do with him, let's get rid of him and get in a new character.' It wouldn't be the first time it's happened on a show.

If a character doesn't work out, 99.9% of the time it's because the writers weren't doing their job.

Comment

Originally posted by furiousfurling View Post

I don't think Atlantis will be the same without Beckett because that character was like the only other one who had the ancient gene the strongest and naturally on Atlantis and had more usefulness then just being a doctor because of it.

It would take the new doctor a while look over everything that Beckett has discovered since coming to Atlantis and the new doctor may not know how to handle a typical Atlantis emergency like alien virus or something where Beckett would more then likely know what to do. What if the new doctor has to go to the mainland for some medical reason then they would have to get someone to fly the doctor over if they didn't have the gene where Beckett could have just flown himself.

The one think I don't like about them getting rid Beckett is that say in a top ten list of people on Atlantis who have the the ancient gene naturally he would be like #2 on that list if was #1 and I just don't like them getting rid of a character who on a list like that is very high up.
                Why give him the ancinet gene if this was going to be the end result because I thought Atlantis needed as many people who had the ancient gene as possible and to me this is saying they don't.

I'm hoping they do Star Trek: Next Gen thing where they bring in the new doctor for a season and then bring the original doctor, in this case Beckett, back when they realize what they've done didn't work out. Then maybe have the new doctor move to the 3rd Stargate series where the character might work out better.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

This is really too bad. They seem to be headed down the SG-1 path, where they get rid of or lost one character after another until finally the show sinks. I think producers and writers have no clue about how much of fan attachment to a series depends on the actors/characters, and the interaction between the characters.

(I'd still watch SG-1 if miraculously it gets renewed, it just isn't must see any more. In my reality RDA and Teryl come back, Carolyn Lamb is never seen again, and RDA is actually used as opposed to having walkons. I'd like Don Davis back as well, although Bridges does a great job, but I gather Don has health issues.)

McGillion and Rodney are the only two characters I watch Atlantis for.

Comment

I blame them for over-using him in the second series.
                    Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-o.
                    O'Neill: ...Call Daniel.

Comment

If characters were entirely THAT important, shows like ER and Law and Order wouldn't have made it 1/10th as far as they have.

Comment

Stargate however, is Character-driven, the writers have said so themselves.

It's the usual crap from TPTB...We screw up...blame someone else and start all over again so...

Aiden Ford becomes Ronon Dex
                        Carson Beckett becomes Dr. Keller
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

It's the usual crap from TPTB...We screw up...blame someone else and start all over again so...

What a pity that T.V doesn't work like professional sports where, if the team doesn't do well, they get rid of the coach (i.e. writers/producers) and keep the players (actors).
                          Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                            What a pity that T.V doesn't work like professional sports where, if the team doesn't do well, they get rid of the coach (i.e. writers/producers) and keep the players (actors).
                            Agreed. When the producers/writers go "well, this charcter just isn't working" it's because the writers AREN"T DOING THEIR JOBS RIGHT!

To quote Homer Simpson : "DUH!"

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

All shows are character driven. If the audience doesn't connect with the character you need to tweek the character or writing to make that connection. (I hated that they let RF aka Ford go just because his chacter was neglected. Franks was really into the series and sounded like he wanted to stay)

In this case--the veiwers are very connected to Beckett. He is a well loved character. Which brings me to the question: Is his departure on his own doing or is he being forced out because TPTB think it will be a great arc?

If PM is leaving for his own reasons and the writers decide to use it in the story arc that's okay. There is nothing that should stop Pual from taking another job or leaving for personal reasons if he wants to go.

If the writers are using his character just for a story arc and are actually letting him go solely for the benifit of a story arc--well, no the writers should be ashamed and fired.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                              X