• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/coleman...life-64955.htm
    Coleman on the Doctor.

Comment

Empire feature on Who

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...re-on-who.html

Some lovely non spoilery pics at the link.

The latest issue of Empire magazine has a feature on Doctor Who and an exclusive photoshoot, check out the highlights of the interviews below featuring Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, Steven Moffat and director Ben Wheatley.

Steven Moffat on Doctor Who Series 7: "Certain things we were doing a little reflexively. Some of the humour was getting a bit glib. One of the hardest things to notice is when your new idea has become your old idea and it's time to get rid of it."

Jenna Coleman on Deep Breath: "I saw the first episode and it's amazing how different it feels. It's darker. The limits feel like they're being pushed more in terms of danger and the dread. It's scarier, that's for sure."

On the new series, she adds: "Steven's changed the format quite a lot. We have much longer scenes now. "

On Clara, Coleman states: "It's like seeing a control freak out of control.
      Spoiler:
      She has a boyfriend
      and she's a schoolteacher and then she travels around the universe with The Doctor. She's trying to live those lives separately and not let them collide."

Peter Capaldi on his Doctor Who: "He's mysterious. He's more alien than he's been for a while. He doesn't quite understand human beings or really care very much for their approval."

Director Ben Wheatley says of his episodes: "For me, they're back to classic Who, or the mid-Tennant adventures, where you'd tell a story and move on to the next one, less tied up in the machinations of long plot arcs."

The director of the first two Series 8 stories also states about the new Doctor: "Capaldi's his own man but there are elements of Baker and Troughton and Pertwee. He's inherently funny but inherently brooding and complicated, as a performer and a man."

Comment

Deep Breath to be screened in cinemas across the UK and Ireland

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...uk-and-ireland

As part of BBC Worldwide’s global event celebrations to mark Peter Capaldi’s debut series of Doctor Who, UK fans will have the opportunity to see the first episode of series 8 in cinemas in the UK and Ireland, as well as on BBC One, on 23 August 2014.

To celebrate the launch of series 8, an exclusive cinema event will take place at London's Odeon Leicester Square on August 23 with some very special guests in attendance.

This one-off event will feature a ‘never seen before’ five minute video from an upcoming Doctor Who DVD release and a special ten minute behind-the-scenes of episode 1 feature*, followed by a Q&A with the guest stars that will be streamed live into participating cinemas across the UK and Ireland.

A limited number of tickets for the Leicester Square Cinema Event will be available to the public and can be purchased via Odeon.com, on Friday 1 August at 10am http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/Doctor_..._amp_A/100736/.

Cinema tickets for other participating cinemas will go on sale Friday 1 August from 11am.

More information regarding cinemas screening the episode and showing the live stream of the Q&A from the Leicester Square Cinema Event will be made available on doctorwho.tv soon.

This year’s screenings follow the huge success of the global cinema screenings for the show’s record-breaking 50th anniversary episode – The Day of the Doctor – in November 2013. In addition to the episode being simulcast on TV in 98 territories, fans were also able to enjoy the episode on the big screen in over 1500 cinemas around the world.

Stephen Davies, Director for Live Events, said “Following the tremendous success of the 50th anniversary screenings, this is another wonderful opportunities for fans to get together to celebrate another major milestone and enjoy the amazing opening episode of the Peter Capaldi era on the big screen”.

*The behind-the-scenes content will also available on BBC Red Button and BBC iPlayer.

FAQs for Leicester Square cinema event

Why are the Odeon Leicester Square tickets more expensive than other participating cinemas?
        The Odeon Leicester Square event will feature an exclusive live Q&A with special guests in person, so the ticket prices are slightly higher to reflect this.

When and where can I buy tickets?
        Tickets will be available on the Odeon London Leicester Square website from Friday 1 August at 10am.

Will it be in 3D?
        No (but it will still look incredible on the big screen!)

Will I get the chance to see the special guests?
        After the episode, the special guests will appear on stage for a special live Q&A session.

When will you release the names of the special guests?
        We will release the names of the special guests very soon.

Is this a family event?
        Absolutely – this is an event that can be enjoyed by the whole family. The episode has been given a PG certification.

Will refreshments be available?
        Your ticket for the event at the Odeon, Leicester Square will include popcorn and water, which will be found on your seat. Refreshments will also be available to purchase.

Will I be able to buy any Doctor Who merchandise?

Merchandise will be not available on the day however you can purchase Doctor Who merchandise from BBCShop.com.

Will I get to see anything extra in the cinema?
        Before the episode starts, you’ll get to watch a ‘never seen before’ five minute video from an upcoming Doctor Who DVD release. After the episode, there’ll be a special ten minute behind-the-scenes of episode 1 feature, followed by the live Q&A. The Q&A will be streamed live into participating cinemas in the UK and Ireland and the behind-the-scenes content will be available on BBC Red Button and BBC iPlayer.

What time will it end?
        The event will finish between 10 – 10.30pm.

Can I dress up?
        Yes! Grab your Fez, dust off your TARDIS dress and come dressed in your Doctor Who finery – although please do not wear masks or bring any props that resemble weapons. You may not be allowed entry into the cinema.

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...e-up-65010.htm
          Moffat on why series 8 needed a massive shake up.

Comment

Gatiss talks Capaldi

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/201...s-capaldi.html

Writer Mark Gatiss (The Unquiet Dead, The Crimson Horror, et al) has been chatting to the Ham&High Broadway about the new Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi. Gatiss, who has written the third episode of Series 8, had this to say about The Twelfth Doctor:

“I’ve seen quite a bit of him and he’s absolutely fantastic. Peter’s just got this amazing, fierce, funny, slightly alarming quality to him – he reminds me a lot of Alastair Sim, actually. You’re not quite sure where you stand with him; he’s very funny, but he’s got this glint in his eye and I think it’s a terrific run of episodes.”

“The brilliant thing about Doctor Who is that it’s always changing like the central character – not just the face of the actor, but the direction of the show. David and Matt were both wonderful, but both were very human Doctors and I think it’s time to remind people that the Doctor isn’t always like that.

He’s that sort of Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and even Christopher Eccleston style actually: it’s someone who’s not immediately going to be your best friend and can be quite abrupt and rude.”

Comment

BBC America announces "Takeover Week" / cinema presentations

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/07...ce=twitterfeed

BBC America have announced a series of events taking place in the lead-up and aftermath of the series premiere of Deep Breath in the United States.

During the week before broadcast, the channel will premiere new specials relating to the show, including Doctor Who: The Ultimate Companion on the 16th August at 9:00pm, The Real History of Science Fiction: Time at 10:00pm, and then Doctor Who: The Ultimate Time Lord on the 18th at 10:00pm, which forms part of a marathon week of Doctor Who episodes.

On the day itself, Doctor Who: Live Pre-Show will be presented by Nerdist presenter Chris Hardwick at 7:30pm before the premiere airs at 8:00pm. Doctor Who is then followed by another premiere, Intruders, before the show is once again the focus in Doctor Who: After Who Live at 11:00pm - the show aims to feature a host of guests in studio, including writer/actor Mark Gatiss, plus behind-the-scenes footage.

The day after will see Make Your Own Sunday, featuring the top episodes voted for by BBC America viewers in an online poll that opens on the 6th August.

Meanwhile, as with the United Kingdom, the episode will have a cinematic release in the USA, though this will not be simulcast. Instead, BBC America have partnered with Fathom Events to present Deep Breath in a special screening event taking place in twelve cities from midnight, with full details to be announced on the 5th August.

This will be followed by a wider cinematic release on the 25th August, with over 550 cinemas showing the episode at 7:00pm and 9:30pm, accompanied by the prequel and behind-the-scenes material as seen in the UK (no Q&A).

Tickets are now available to purchase from participating venues and also online from Fathom Events.

Comment

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...ster-65029.htm
                Capaldi and Moffat on Doctor Who stuff

Comment

Capaldi’s Familiar Face Addressed in a Low-key Way

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/mcgann-...ctor+Who+TV%29

Steven Moffat has said Peter Capaldi’s past appearances in the Whoniverse will still be addressed in Series 8 but fans shouldn’t expect a major story point out of it.

Moffat reiterated that the theory Russell T Davies came up with while he was still showrunning will serve as the basis for the explanation.

Speaking at the LFCC he said: “Truthfully I don’t think it’s something you have to resolve because audiences do understand that the same actor can play different parts.

“When Peter Capaldi turned up in Torchwood Russell said he had a plan in his head on why he looked like the guy in The Fires of Pompeii. So I emailed him and said what was the explanation and does it fit with the new Doctor? And it sort of does.

“So in a very low-key way we’ll address it. It won’t be a major deal because in the end people know the real reason is he’s played by the same actor.

“What’s really worrying me is Karen Gillan in The Fires of Pompeii. That’s just inexplicable – I’m going to get to that eventually.”

Comment

Did they ever make a mention of the the resemblance between the Torchwood worker in Army of Ghosts who got turned into a Cyberman and Martha Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                      Did they ever make a mention of the the resemblance between the Torchwood worker in Army of Ghosts who got turned into a Cyberman and Martha Jones?
                      Yes.

Good ol' Wikipedia sez -
                      "Martha refers to the spaceship crashing into Big Ben in "Aliens of London", the events of "The Christmas Invasion" or "The Runaway Bride", and the Battle of Canary Wharf against the Cybermen from "Army of Ghosts". She also recalls the loss of her cousin Adeola who "worked at Canary Wharf" and disappeared, a reference to the "Army of Ghosts" character played by the same actress."
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Is it safe to assume BBC will replay The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor during the wind up to the new season? I'd really like to watch them both again....

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                          Is it safe to assume BBC will replay The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor during the wind up to the new season? I'd really like to watch them both again....
                          Maybe on BBC3 or some suchlike, but unlikely on BBC1 or 2.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            Maybe on BBC3 or some suchlike, but unlikely on BBC1 or 2.
                            That's too bad, I only get BBC America .

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                              That's too bad, I only get BBC America .
                              You may be lucky with BBC America...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Moffat on Series 8's Smaller Story Arc

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...ctor+Who+TV%29

Steven Moffat has spoken a little about the story arc this year stating that it will only take up a small chunk of each episode in the lead up to the finale. Think Series Five, rather than Six.

Responding in EW, Moffat said: “Yes [there are over-arching plotlines], but at the same time 90 percent of every episode is a stand-alone adventure.”

On the overall setting of each episode: “We’ve got
                                Spoiler:
                                quite a lot of Earth stuff this time.
                                But it’s proper variety, and I think i’ll not tell you what’s going to be on the roller coaster in advance.”

Teasing the big two-part finale he says: “It’s not just about
                                Spoiler:
                                the Cybermen.
                                It’s a good, action-packed, mad one.
                                Last edited by Blencathra; 04 August 2014, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X