Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GateWorld Forum Software Upgrade! (Questions & Requests)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa, big changes! Somewhat mourning the loss of the old usercp, but an upgrade must have been necessary after so long. Does vB5 provide some way to see your reputation points like the old version did?

Also, some cosmetic suggestions. In the avatar code next to posts, if you change the css for width from 100% to auto you can prevent avatars smaller than 160px from being upscaled, thus avoiding blurry avatars. I made the same suggestion when avatars were upgraded from 120px to 150px, and it was implemented.

Also the reputation hover text no longer begins with the username, which is a bit odd.

Of course, I'm sure you have a long list of issues to deal with before you get to these minor issues.

Good luck with the upgrade!

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      I've just made a Signature settings tweak that might help anyone who was having difficulting adding an image to your signature using the image button on the sig editor.

Please give it another try if you weren't able to get your image into your sig!
      Thanks a lot for that, will make it less complicated to change the pictures in the future

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
        Whoa, big changes! Somewhat mourning the loss of the old usercp, but an upgrade must have been necessary after so long. Does vB5 provide some way to see your reputation points like the old version did?

Also, some cosmetic suggestions. In the avatar code next to posts, if you change the css for width from 100% to auto you can prevent avatars smaller than 160px from being upscaled, thus avoiding blurry avatars. I made the same suggestion when avatars were upgraded from 120px to 150px, and it was implemented.

Also the reputation hover text no longer begins with the username, which is a bit odd.

Of course, I'm sure you have a long list of issues to deal with before you get to these minor issues.

Good luck with the upgrade!
        A nice To Do list, thank you!

I have decided to force all avatars to a uniform 160x160. Along with this we're opening up custom avatars to all members, and will also be uploading a bunch of new Stargate avatars for folks to pick from.

I need to look into the various issues around Reputation and its display. vB5 appears to have left this (and the forum-provided avatars section, too) in the new software, but sidelined or outright hidden it in the admin interface.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Occasional glitch occurs when viewing the forums wherein the site will just die with a 500 error "Cannot complete this request" page in chrome. This happens at complete random, no surefire way to give a direct "What I did" step by step to bring the glitch. Waiting a bit and refreshing the page fixes it

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            Occasional glitch occurs when viewing the forums wherein the site will just die with a 500 error "Cannot complete this request" page in chrome. This happens at complete random, no surefire way to give a direct "What I did" step by step to bring the glitch. Waiting a bit and refreshing the page fixes it
            This is a known issue Greg is working to stabilize. (Testing the new software here with real traffic is helping us to identify some server-side issues that didn't come up in the development environment.)

If you hit 500 error and the forum just gives up on you, wait a few minutes and try again. So far it seems as though the forum's memory cache gets full and has to purge itself.

Comment

This is a known issue Greg is working to stabilize. (Testing the new software here with real traffic is helping us to identify some server-side issues that didn't come up in the development environment.)

If you hit 500 error and the forum just gives up on you, wait a few minutes and try again. So far it seems as though the forum's memory cache gets full and has to purge itself.
              I had that 500 in the evening and could not get back on that day, it was there like 4 hours, I first thought it was something with Chrome but now it makes sense

Comment

Errm... why am I suddenly on moderation?

I just posted a reply to epg20 and it shows my post in a green color and in the upper right corner it sayd "Unapproved".
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
                Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

There seems to be a number of threads in-accessible at the moment. I can't post in any of The Expanse threads because it says I don't have permission.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Hi guys!
                    All I can do is apologise profusely for the disruption,because it seems all posts are suddenly going via moderation...and get everyone's posts through as quickly as possible.

Already e-mailed Darren ,so hopefully this will stop being a problem asap once he and Greg can get in and take a look.
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      There seems to be a number of threads in-accessible at the moment. I can't post in any of The Expanse threads because it says I don't have permission.
                      Sorry! This might be an error code thing.Are you still unable to get into thread sections?
                      ( if not ,Darren may be able to fix it.)
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Hi, folks! Growing pains are fun, aren't they?

I spent hours working through permissing settings last night (right before I went to bed, of course). I think I know what is causing this, so let me do a little research and confirm.

Meanwhile it would help to know if members (apart from those who know you are on moderation already) would let me know (PM is fine) which threads are sending your posts into the mod queue for approval, and which if any you can still post to as normal. I think the permissions error only applies to show Episode folders, but I'd like to confirm.

Comment

Alright, I hope this settings change has sorted it.

Comment

Hi all mods!
                            I think I speak on behalf of all GW users when I say we have every faith and thank all of you very much for all you are doing in ironing out all the bugs following the sites regeneration.

"A new body's like a new house. It takes a little bit of time to settle in.

Oh. As for the physiognomy. Well, nothing's perfect. Have to take the rough with the smooth."

- The Doctor, Robot, Part One

sigpic
                            THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Alright, I hope this settings change has sorted it.
                              Thanks for fixing the issue with the post approval so quickly

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              Hi all mods!
                              I think I speak on behalf of all GW users when I say we have every faith and thank all of you very much for all you are doing in ironing out all the bugs following the sites regeneration.

"A new body's like a new house. It takes a little bit of time to settle in.

Oh. As for the physiognomy. Well, nothing's perfect. Have to take the rough with the smooth."

- The Doctor, Robot, Part One

Well, you speak for me at least, too there

Comment

This is what happens when one goes poof from GW

Come back to find a shiny new layout!! Yea, I’m doing a random pop up visit

Comment

Working...
                                X