Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GateWorld Forum Software Upgrade! (Questions & Requests)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT
    COME ON!! How ridiculous is this... it's showing up in previous pages, but not when I post this... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!

EDIT 2
    OH no... wait, there it is again...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!! SIGPICS ARE BACK!!

At least mine is... only took me a gazillion test tries and VBForums were incredibly unhelpful but in the end I found a way...

Edit signature in your account settings only seems to work when you attach an img from an URL. Trust me I tried with an attachment from my computer but that didn't work at all.

Once you've linked to your image -- in my case: https://i.imgur.com/W9gWoXW.jpg
    It will show you a thumbnail and the words Thumbnail and Remove right next to it, and below the name of the file --> W9gWoXW.jpg

In your editor, choose the first icon on the first menu bar... next to the T with an x -- on its left. That'll get you into the BBcode source editor.

Choose the spot where you want your sigpic to go and drop the filename in between the BBcode [ sigpic ]W9gWoXWdotjpg[/sigpic ]. Hit save, and you're done.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for getting us back up and running today, Greg! Everyone, thank you for bearing with us through the learning curve. I promise the stability issues will get better and we'll also be able to fix some of the UI issues you are missing.

If you click the smiley icon in the top-right corner of the reply box you'll find all our smilies. I can look into why typing the shorthand isn't working.

TEST: :McKay:

VERDICT: If you manually type these, they are case sensitive -- all lowercase.

There are things we can fix and change, which is what I want to use this thread for. Please help me to identify what you'd like to be different, and if it's a styling issue (as opposed to how the software is coded) we can accommodate as much as possible. As for labels like "New Posts" and "My Controls," it's super easy to change the text ... though obviously whatever we change them to needs to match what the link actually takes people to.

I for one am confused by the "New Topics" and "Today's Posts" at the top, and want to change them. They appear to pull up the same threads, though the latter also includes my own posts. "New Topics" doesn't limit itself to brand new threads. So I'm tempted to change "New Topics" to "New Posts" and delete "Today's Posts." Thoughts?

I wish vBulletin hadn't simply eliminated a bunch of features, like separate profile pictures. I'm also struggling to find any built-in avatar system to offer to new members. I think that after 10+ years of adding bells and whistles onto their forum software they built a new system from the ground up with v5, and in their infinite wisdom just decided to leave out a bunch of things they thought were not important or widely used.

Be glad our avatars look as good as they do! That really took some doing. vBulletin sets avatars to tiny, 64x64 squares, and offers NO customization options.
      Last edited by Darren; February 2, 2021, 03:58 PM.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
        Apologies for the instability - this is definately still a work in progress.

The main issue appears to be Vbulletin's cache - every so often it decides it needs to 'clear' itself, and this seems to co-incide with someone attempting to do an action (i.e. write a post, edit their profile, and so on) which results in that user getting a 500 error or some other kind of unexpected behaviour. Even the admin control panel is prone to randomly breaking.

VB's documentation is also full of terrible inconsistencies which makes getting the right configuration really... really difficult!
        *Sends hugs and snuggles to Greg* Thank you Greg for the work you do! I am now able to edit my signature, but I still cannot access privacy or notifications controls.

Otherwise things are smoother, and I still miss the direction of new posts

Darren: Is there a way to bring back Post direction or did vB entirely remove that ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

How do you post a message without adding a link, or converely, what link do I need to add each time?
          GateWorld Forum (powered by vBulletin)
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Looks like I worked it out, but boy oh boy it is a lot of extra work.

​ ​

Comment

there's a llittle quote button so you wont need to link firectly to the message

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Don't know if this is the quote you are telling me about. Using the quote button from your post does not work
                Still asks for a valid url.

​ ​

Comment

Awinita: I had no idea that vB4 let you sort newest episodes to the top. Offhand I don't see any way to do that in vB5. I would think it would be up there next to the Filters, but there does not appear to be any sort order.

Who Knows: Sorry, I don't know what you are asking.

~Darren

Comment

Is there no chance of Inbox and Sent Items being restored? All messages are gone except for five random messages from November last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                      Still asks for a valid url.
                      I can hit the little " mark on your post and it will quote you just fine

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                        Awinita: I had no idea that vB4 let you sort newest episodes to the top. Offhand I don't see any way to do that in vB5. I would think it would be up there next to the Filters, but there does not appear to be any sort order.

Who Knows: Sorry, I don't know what you are asking.

~Darren
                        Yeah, vB4 allowed to sort the newest post first, or oldest post first {old post first AKA first page is default apparently in vB5} all inside User Settings, that odes not appear there now anymore unless vB is working on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Yeah, vB4 allowed to sort the newest post first, or oldest post first {old post first AKA first page is default apparently in vB5} all inside User Settings, that odes not appear there now anymore unless vB is working on it ?
                          Hmm ... there is a "Latest Activity" tab at the top of each thread, which shows the newest posts at the top. But it's formatted differently, without the user postinfo box on the left (avatar, username, etc.).

There is a "Display mode" user setting that seems like it ought to make this default for your forum browsing. But it doesn't seem to work.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

I can hit the little " mark on your post and it will quote you just fine
                            Yes, I can quote a previous poser (in this case you) but when In try to post this answer it wants the 'Add Link' filling in with a valid url
                            GateWorld Forum (powered by vBulletin)

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

Hmm ... there is a "Latest Activity" tab at the top of each thread, which shows the newest posts at the top. But it's formatted differently, without the user postinfo box on the left (avatar, username, etc.).
                              I had this setting set up first, and I had an inverse list -- newest to oldest -- so newest posts were showing up on page 1 instead of on the last.

I found it confusing so I set it back... but maybe this is what you are looking for Awinita.

Comment

@Darren

I seem to have stumbled on something small... but posts aren't counted anymore.
                                They weren't in Off-Topic, but they are also not counted in On-Topic.

I posted here with 35455 posted, which should have then jumped to 35456 and +1 in the Sparky thread, in off-topic it should have stayed at 35457 and this one should have made it 35458... but it stays at 35455.

Also, have you changed the online - offline status?
                                I'm definitely online but my dot in the sidebar says I'm offline, and I didn't change any settings to get there.

I also notice now that using the edit function only gives you trouble when you have smileys in your post cause they are recorded as image -- not just as code.

Comment

Working...
                                X