Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GateWorld Forum Software Upgrade! (Questions & Requests)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkenLycht
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren View Post

Az'ryel, are you looking at the Message Center > Inbox?

I don't have any access to review or trouble-shoot private messages. We did lose some Group topics, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that some PMs were lost as well. I hope that isn't the case. vB5 has integrated a new instant messenging system with PMs, and the Inbox is supposed to show both together.

You can also try the Search Messages box there in the Message Center, and see if you can dig up any of the messages you think may be lost. Let me know how it turns out.
    Yes, that and I also did the search as you suggested.
    No result, the inbox stays blank. all I still have are very old sent messages

Another question though, how can we upload a pic as a signature? I do not see the insert image in the editor that comes up when I click "edit post signature" Also tried to just copy/paste a link with the IMG code, will only show that and not the image

Leave a comment:

• BruTak
    replied
    Is this going to be like "new" Facebook? Can we go back to the old look if we prefer it, or are we stuck with this no matter what?

Leave a comment:

• Platschu
    replied
    I still have to practice the new functions. It is hard to choose as it feels like a dog with new bones.

1. The login was really hided on the top. I could hardly find it at first.
    2. I can finally edit my comments on my tablet as the previous version erased them.
    3. I wouldn't put the mini avatars of the users in the last comment and in the last active thread.

But it is so far so good. As the Zerg would say in StarCraft : "evolution complete".

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Thanks for the removal of the FB and Twitter links.
    I instantly tested the "like"-button on your post. I guess that's replacing the "green" message.

That's gonna make season's greenings fascinating next time.

FYI: Now that we are open for business on the new software Greg is working his usual magic on server stability.
    Which probably explains the slow response times too.

Anywho... no more multiquote?
    Or did that go away? Without ever coming back.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Awinita
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg View Post

I would try to log out and back in at a first point. There has been alot of changes and tweaks in the last 12 hours since the forums went live so a fresh session may help things.
    I have been logged out twice. Just getting to my Subscriptions alone redirected me to the main forum page

Leave a comment:

• Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    Ok so, I tried to go to User Settings -> Account tab, and it redirected me to the main forum page. Hopefully this bit of information can be useful in this weird glitch now that I have been able to properly replicated it and now report it here of what I did
    I would try to log out and back in at a first point. There has been alot of changes and tweaks in the last 12 hours since the forums went live so a fresh session may help things.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Awinita
    replied
    Ok so, I tried to go to User Settings -> Account tab, and it redirected me to the main forum page. Hopefully this bit of information can be useful in this weird glitch now that I have been able to properly replicated it and now report it here of what I did

Leave a comment:

• Princess Awinita
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg View Post

Given the GateWorld forums are almost two decades old, a migration to another platform is nigh impossible. The old version we were on - vbulletin 4 - only supported PHP 7.1 at a maximum. This too, is end of life as of December 2019 - meaning any new exploits or security vulnerabilities put end-user data at risk as well as the suvivability of GateWorld as a whole.

I would not call VB5 perfect, but it is unfortunately the best path forwards for the community, and Darren will continue to push VBulletin hard to bring in improvements and tweaks to make the forums more user friendly and welcoming
    I was not aware of this, this alone is amazing. I will however hope the user settings {sig editer, toolbar editor, forum direction {I used to have the posts threaded in such a manner the newerst post was at the top}}

Trying to get to the settings in order to edit a signature or even post direction results in a 524, or 522, or 521, or worse, a 404 error notice {that last one ends up being "Bad Gateway 404" while the other three are cloudfare issues}

Overall the look feels streamlined, but alas I will miss the profile picture and avatar spreator. that made the user profiles feel more unique. Now its all uniform. But when the site does work, it is quite streamlined

Leave a comment:

• JT-2
    replied

Hmm ... under your profile you can view your subscriptions and then sort them by those with newest posts:

https://forum.gateworld.net/member/4...ort=mostactive

Did the old software show a new posts flag?

Edit: I think as new posts are added to threads you are subscribed to, you should also receive new notifications on the strip at the top of every page. You might keep an eye on this and see what turns up under "Notifications."

Edit 2: You can also find the "Subscribed" tab under your profile, which I think only displays threads if there have been new posts since you last viewed it.
    Thanks, Darren! I'll try those ideas out.

Leave a comment:

• Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    ALSO: Accessing anything under User Setings to make edits or even get to the signature controls will cause a cloudfare error 524. Refreshing will automatically redirect to the main forum page.

Personally I like Invision Community forums, much more stable. I am unable to edit my signature or even get signatures to show up
    Given the GateWorld forums are almost two decades old, a migration to another platform is nigh impossible. The old version we were on - vbulletin 4 - only supported PHP 7.1 at a maximum. This too, is end of life as of December 2019 - meaning any new exploits or security vulnerabilities put end-user data at risk as well as the suvivability of GateWorld as a whole.

I would not call VB5 perfect, but it is unfortunately the best path forwards for the community, and Darren will continue to push VBulletin hard to bring in improvements and tweaks to make the forums more user friendly and welcoming

Leave a comment:

• Princess Awinita
    replied
    ALSO: Accessing anything under User Setings to make edits or even get to the signature controls will cause a cloudfare error 524. Refreshing will automatically redirect to the main forum page.

Personally I like Invision Community forums, much more stable. I am unable to edit my signature or even get signatures to show up
    Last edited by Princess Awinita; 01 February 2021, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Awinita
    replied

Some of this we'll all have to get used to, as vBulletin changed a bunch of stuff around on us. By and large what you used to access via "My Controls" is still there, just relocated. Note especially the tabs on most pages -- Profiles, Messages, Settings, etc.

See my post to JT-2 on thread subscriptions. We can keep digging if neither of those links is providing the display you are looking for.

Profile customizations are still available, but we haven't done any testing as to whether they survived the migration. Members can also find a setting to enable or disable others' customizations for their own view. Please try customizing your profile page and see if the changes stick.
    Turns out "My Recent Posts" will indeed be the new My Controls page with all the recent threads one has posted in fully viewable as they always were

Leave a comment:

• imzadi35
    replied
    Not liking the new format, but I, too, will have to slowly get used to it, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    FYI: Now that we are open for business on the new software Greg is working his usual magic on server stability.

If you receive an error when posting or editing a post, or the server times out on you, please wait a few minutes and try again.

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Just a thing that probably can't be changed, but I'm not a fan of the FB and Twitter share buttons. I don't need my forum posts freely shared outside the realm of Gateworld (not that they would be out of anyone's line but my forum-speak is not aimed at random FB or Twitter users).
    Yeah, I'd have to agree here. I've done ahead and removed the big Facebook and Twitter share buttons. All they really did was insert a link to the post ... pretty useless given the visual prominence of those buttons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X