Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't post much here, but i enjoy reading other peoples posts.

I welcome these changes. It must be hard work to keep a site like this.

Big thumbs up

Comment

So far I can just say that I like the idea of more threads for new people, it is nice to have the feeling of being welcomed somewhere you are new at.

Also, the new forum home is looking good to me.

As for the other changes about the political threads I cannot say anything since I have never taken part in any as it's not my kind of thing to talk about

Comment

Combining everything that was grouped together previously makes sense, but combining high activity with low activity forums might further limit responsiveness to the low activity ones.

I'm not personally interested in the "Character and Relationship" forums and instead used to just go to the main page and, with one quick scroll, scan whether a new post had been made in the "General/Episodes" and "Science and Tech" forums for each of the three shows. Merging/grouping just those doesn't make this any harder for me to do that, but the inclusion of the "Character and Relationship" forums does. Because the relationship subforum dominates the main page's last post list, I now have to click on Sg-1, scan for last posts, go back, click Atlantis, scan, go back, etc. Consequently, I'll probably see new posts published under Sg-1, Atlantis, and SGU less often now as I'm likely not going to click through all of them to check for new posts as often as I was inclined to just visit the main page and scroll down.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 24 January 2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Maybe:
          General Stargate Discussion
          All things Stargate (that don't fit elsewhere)
          Could be something like this:
          General Stargate Discussion
          News, Merchandise and All things Stargate (that don't fit elsewhere) as well as Gateworld Features

I do think that the Stargate Novels thread should be sticky thread so it doesn't get lost amongst the threads.

What about making a sticky thread in Forum and Announcements/Welcome, Announcements, and Help! board where it contains an index of links to all the archive boards. That way no permissions need to be changed on those sub-boards. since the are accessible if you have the direct link and in the event that someone needs to look at an archived thread they can just go to the sticky thread for the sub-board link. In example:

Title: Archive Boards Index

Stargate Merchandise Archive
          SG-1
          SGA

Quick question did the Science and Tech threads just just get moved to the root of the series board they were for?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
            Hi, Everyone!
            Hello

Thank you for being a member here at GateWorld Forum -- whether you have been around these parts for years, or you are brand new to our community. A new decade means that it is time for a fresh start, and time to make some changes that will streamline the forum and make GateWorld welcoming to a new generation of Stargate fans.
            No actually thank you for making this place a home for stargate!!

First up: You'll see that we have shortened the stack of topic folders on the forum's home page and shifted sections and threads around. This will make it easier for new members and regulars alike. Forums that don't get much traffic these days have been moved inside a larger folder (or sunsetted altogether). (If you have favorite active threads in an archived folder, ping the mods and we'll move it back out.)
            FINALLY! and I cant say this enough! the front forum page was a huge thing to scroll down on mobile and desktop together! This is much cleaner

Next: We'd like to get back to the feeling that everyone and anyone is welcome to come here to discuss Stargate, and other science fiction and fantasy and other current TV shows, in an environment that is friendly and welcoming.
            Does this mean removal of probie status ?

-//-

Ground Rules: When each member signs up they agree to play nice, according to what we think are some sensible and straight-forward rules meant to govern the conduct of our shared space. Today's changes will affect every part of GateWorld Forum, including the closure of some threads. The forum rules have been revised, with two especially notable changes:
            (1) Topics that, at their core, fall under politics or religion are banished. There are plenty of places to take these conversations online, but after years of tolerance we've found that they too often sour this community and spill over into other threads.

This does not, of course, impact discussions of religion and politics as they appear in our favorite genre shows. Religion and politics are a part of life, and are ripe for the social commentary of science fiction. But let's keep those sticky and contested real-world issues off the forum from now on.
            WELL FINALLY!! I had been waiting for this, I have noticed that certain threads got out of hand, even with mods stepping in to cool things down it just didnt work out. having such thing elsewhere is the best option.

I am happy with these changes!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

One thing that still annoys me a little is that on the front page, the icons of the subforums (below the titles of the main forums, next to More:) have been broken for a long time, showing the "missing image" icon instead. It just makes the forum seem... unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                What about making a sticky thread in Forum and Announcements/Welcome, Announcements, and Help! board where it contains an index of links to all the archive boards. That way no permissions need to be changed on those sub-boards. since the are accessible if you have the direct link and in the event that someone needs to look at an archived thread they can just go to the sticky thread for the sub-board link.
                Good suggestions! This is really our first foray into the idea of having archived areas of the forum. I'm open to having an index that links to them, though since they are so hidden now I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to allow them to be open for posting. No one other than those subscribed to those individual threads are likely to come across the new posts being made.

Note that these archived folders are still searchable.

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                Quick question did the Science and Tech threads just just get moved to the root of the series board they were for?[/FONT]
                Science and Tech folders were closed to new posts and moved under the specific show, yes. Our plan is to identify any active threads that folks are currently using, and simply move them out to that show's main folder. (This is part of the housekeeping still to be done in the days ahead.)
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                  Does this mean removal of probie status ?
                  Not presently, no. Probie status was introduced first and foremost to help combat spammer registrations. New members simply need to show that they are a Real Human who is here to talk about Stargate / sci-fi.

We are planning a membership drive in a few weeks' time, and we might temporarily pause the probie restrictions for a time just to lower the bar of entry for new members.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                    One thing that still annoys me a little is that on the front page, the icons of the subforums (below the titles of the main forums, next to More:) have been broken for a long time, showing the "missing image" icon instead. It just makes the forum seem... unfinished.
                    You're right! I'll have to look into that.

Chrome does not display the broken images for me at all, so I didn't realize something was failing to load there ...

Comment

Thanks for considering my suggestions. Please change the SGU to Universe on the main page of GW as well. I know it is trendy to abbreviate it, but then it also looks too modern next to SG-1 and Atlantis.

But back to the forum. I believe the Stargate Origins - Catherine should be considered as a "movie" now, so it is not worth of keeping the episodes folder on the main page as only the merged digital version exists. Maybe make a Stargate movie folder, then make Ark Of Truth, Continuum, Children Of The Gods - Final Cut, Stargate Origins Catherine subfolder.

The merchandise folder could have the following:
                      - Action figures
                      - Audiobooks
                      - Novels
                      - Comic
                      - Stargate : Worlds
                      - Stargate SG-1 : Unleashed (episode 1-2)
                      - Stargate : Infinity
                      - other games
                      Maybe the mods could open a thread for every Infinity episodes, comics and mainly for novels. Maybe there would be only a few comments in every thread, but then it would be seperated. The summary of the novels could be linked from wikipedia pages, so if they are half-canon or canonish, then the events should be presented to the fans.

Maybe start a Stargate book article series about the 1-2 books every week lik÷ a new feature which would be supported by the new threads here.

It would be nice to see an article series about the mythology of star constellations (glyphs) or any mythological refernces (planet or episode names). Like a little education article series where we could learn a few new things.

If the server can have enough space then make some threads where fans could post their SG art without limitation. Or make a fan art section of the GW outside of the folder, where anyone could upload pictures. But then this step would also cause problems which one was stolen, modified, controversial subjects etc. which is harder to manage.

There are no SG emoticons on the mobile or tablet version of the forum. Maybe I am blind to see it.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Hmmm, I tend to sub-conciously get into politics, I even managed to get into politics. However, even if politics is natural small talk and debate topic for me, some others simply can't debate it in a civil manner without resorting to spewing pure non-factual hate. It's a problem. I don't agree with the ban, but I do understand it. I actually like heated debate, as long as ppl stay factual and can back up their claims.

Comment

Several suggestions for the main page.

Star Trek and Star Wars are major Sci-Fi franchises, they deserve a place there.

Marvel and DCEU are CBM/Fantasy franchises, I don't know were they belong. Many of the current shows are DC and they should be together.

All the franchises include movies, so it's misleading to put them under TV shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            Ok, politics isn't your thing. Or maybe the constant arguing would get to you.
                            . . .
                            Just put a big "Beware of Dragons" sign on the door and everyone's happy. =)
                            To be honest, politics AND religion have always been the 2 hottest subjects I'd prefer to avoid, except when having to defend some particular issue. I am surprised you stayed in those topics as long as you (Annoyed) did with all of the nonsense commentary going on against whatever you were saying. eeeek!

As for the door sign's *warning* notice... when I started a new topic and did that as a joke (because I was surprised to see lots of lurkers already reading into the topic) in my revised "tracking earth" topic, it seemed that it got taken the wrong way. Oh well. Not looking back at the moment.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            I fear I'm gonna loose the people that I loved chatting with here -- and that includes every single one of those who posted OPPOSITE views in the Politics and Religion thread. I wish these people a happy new year, and miss them when I haven't heard from them. I get worried even if we're on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

We are a dysfuntional family and you just broke that up! So no thanks...
                            Nah... Still got plenty of other places to chat. Maybe some healthy new topics can pop up and get some solid ideas into them, such as when "Art imitates life" and "Life imitates art", which seems to be more frequently now than years ago.

Finally, we'd like to take this opportunity to clarify a few other things:
                            • Old and obsolete threads will be closed. (In some cases those topics might be relaunched elsewhere, as needed.) Many stickied threads you're used to cluttering up your favorite folders will be un-stickied.
                            • A few of our software technical problems are still works-in-progress. One of these is the "Report Post" feature, which seems to reach the mods only most of the time. We know we don't get every report, but Sgt. Siler and his team ARE trying to repair that permanently. If an issue you reported persists, please send a follow-up PM to Skydiver and Bagpuss.
                            • If you spot a broken page template, or something else that doesn't seem to be working right, please let Darren know by e-mail ([email protected]).

. . .

Now, we want to hear from you!
                            I have a question. If a new topic is started, and somewhere within it describes a reference to a previous topic that is now closed, but had those "bad gateway" messages... on them, is it advisable to avoid linking back to those older/closed topics or okay to link to them? I wasn't sure if there were bad links within that might cause the new topic to go all screwy or what, so knowing NOT to link would be helpful tidbits to know ahead of time. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                              I have a question. If a new topic is started, and somewhere within it describes a reference to a previous topic that is now closed, but had those "bad gateway" messages... on them, is it advisable to avoid linking back to those older/closed topics or okay to link to them? I wasn't sure if there were bad links within that might cause the new topic to go all screwy or what, so knowing NOT to link would be helpful tidbits to know ahead of time. Thanks!
                              The "bad gateway" errors were a system-wide issue that affected any thread at any time, sorta random. No correlation with the closed/open/whatever status of any individual thread. And since the closed threads are still accessible, you would be able to link to them.

Whether or not that will violate the "new order" would depend on what is linked, I would think.

As far as hanging around in spite of the opposition, I expected opposition.

Comment

You'll see that we have shortened the stack of topic folders on the forum's home page and shifted sections and threads around.
                                This looks great for SEO. Search engines want to see recent dates on relevant topics and this move accomplishes both. It appears Darren is either engaged in keeping up with SEO trends or has hired a consultant—either way, demonstrable commitment to Stargate.

Topics that, at their core, fall under politics or religion are banished. There are plenty of places to take these conversations online, but after years of tolerance we've found that they too often sour this community and spill over into other threads.
                                Thank you! Again, this is for the good of SEO for Stargate and is also proactive if a family-friendly company (such as Apple or Netflix) buys MGM. It also will help to keep the peace among fans. Truth be told, even as an adult, my family wants me out of Stargate and does not even want me posting here for how bad things have gotten with politics and bullying. I’ve had to unfriend some folks because what they had posted in off-topic politics threads bashed me, my family, and my friends in turns. This bashing was showing up on my profile’s activity board, even without me visiting those threads and made me ashamed to be associated with such meanness aimed at loved ones.

A new decade means that it is time for a fresh start, and time to make some changes that will streamline the forum and make GateWorld welcoming to a new generation of Stargate fans.
                                And that brings us full-circle: Reorganizing the topical folders and updating the rules are both aimed at creating a friendly and welcoming environment for a new generation of fans.
                                Thank you for making GateWorld a real home! We're excited about what the next generation of this fandom is going to bring.
                                Fingers crossed and hoping this points to new Stargate material coming soon. But, yes, I have experienced all of the points mentioned about frustrations of new people and still keep seeing those types of posts discouraging new discussions.

One of these is the "Report Post" feature, which seems to reach the mods only most of the time.
                                Suggestion: Send an auto-reply for reports which have made it or have mods write back something such as “Thanks, the mods will keep watch on this.” Or “Thanks, the mods will discuss this.” Or “Thanks, the mods are watchfully waiting at this time.”

If any of you want to vent in detail, simply use PM or e-mail to contact Darren, Skydiver, and Bagpuss.
                                I see Darren’s webmaster email. Is there an email which reaches all three of you in one address?

Comment

Working...
                                X