Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All. I'm new here and also an outsider, so do go easy. In fact, a bit about me... Male, 34, UK. Currently involved in several writing projects (screenplays). Don't be fooled, I'm not a professional (I work 9-5 in a regular job) and am looking to change careers in the medium term to earn a full time income from writing. That's a concise zero bullsh-- summary of my circumstance, now let me tell you why I'm here.

Tonight I received a blessing. One called Stargate SG-1. This might seem lame to you, that I have neither watched it before nor seen the preceding movie. A channel called Pick TV here in the UK screened the first episode of the series and I was blown away. I am not into science fiction much (even though 2001 is my favourite film) but I wanted to register amongst Stargate fans what a fantastic debut for me that was. You already know it is, you also know all the plots. I am looking forward to seeing more... consuming more of the series and immersing myself in it. I could go on and on so I suggest you read no more... But I'll carry on anyway.

You may think why this of all things had such a draw and success on an outsider. I'm happy to say. Three things:

1- science fiction. The essence of science fiction was perfectly encapsulated in that episode. Military science fiction is accessible to many "outsiders" such as myself who are kind of lost with the more "out there" type space operas and movies. The almost... analysis and representation of a modern US military in charge of such a thing as a Stargate was absolutely spot on. It had everything necessary as a taster even though I should have watched the film prior to that.
    2- I was left wanting more. Sure, of course if it's good it will be written like that. It was. I won't bore you with story theory or screenwriting theory but that initial episode followed a certain blueprint that was of a superb standard. On a basic level it ticked so many boxes.
    3- I was actually ashamed at the end of the episode that I hadn't bothered with it before, that I had missed something I had never much noticed before, I ended up on the Internet googling certain aspects of Stargate on the whole, I then found this site.

I'm minimal when it comes to the Internet so I wanted to post here and have access to the many posts written by members of the site. I also wanted to just celebrate that episode and say that I'm looking forward to consuming more and I realise there is so much more.

I probably won't post with full regularity but I will check in and read. If you read this far I hope it's sort of nice to know that something so established and "old" can impact upon someone as this has, I haven't been as impressed with something since seeing the Swedish film 'Let The Right One In' which fascinated me with such big impact. Membership here may also help in minor ways with my writing projects. To wrap up this long rambling post, seeing this one episode... was like falling in love with a woman after an accidental first date... and I want to marry her already (own all box sets and films)!

Im not too savvy with the internet and the only other forum i observe relates to the football team i support, my point being sorry if i have broken some internet etiquette or this message should be placed in another section of the site. Best wishes to all you anointed to Stargate, see you around, T.

Comment

Many welcomes!
      I love the excitement of a brand new fan discovering this gem for the first time. So glad you decided to join the insane folks the community here at Gateworld. Welcome aboard!
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard T78,
        Welcome to Gateworld.

Be very careful from whom you accept cookies from. Some have been known to have side effects. Also watch out for the monkeys...!
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Thanks Nolamom I have so much viewing ahead of me.... I'm really looking forward to it. Haven't read anything with spoilers on here. See you around matey.

Comment

Thanks Star fist. Pass any cookies this way but not the monkeys

Comment

Ey up. Need to learn how this site works thanks for the other message I'm not used to options and site stuff. Great site, thriving activity. Half one uk time so see you soon... T, name's Tom by the way, but T , Tom whatever you like... Byeeeee

Comment

The cookies are perfectly safe, in fact they keep those pesky monkeys away *feeds monkey a cookie*

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to more new people!

Isn't it great to see that there are people discovering Stargate for the very first time?!. T78 you reminded me about how I felt when I saw my first episode of Stargate so long ago it seems now!

Comment

No feeding the monkeys!!

*leaves trays of cookies*

safety not guaranteed
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

It's on! Episode two, I have been looking forward to this all day telling everyone at work what they missed!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        Welcome to more new people!

Isn't it great to see that there are people discovering Stargate for the very first time?!. T78 you reminded me about how I felt when I saw my first episode of Stargate so long ago it seems now!
                        Yeah I'm trying not to read anything that reveals anything I don't know, which... is virtually everything. I'm gonna maintain my innocence and not read ahead in anyway.

All these things like Lovefilm or Net Flix... I might look into.

Yeah I'm hooked already after one damn episode... Fifteen mins into episode two on this British channel called Pick TV. Seems at 8pm it's Stargate! Thing is I can't be in every night at 8 to watch it,,, and don't want to miss anything or watch episodes out of sequence so I might have to break my continuity. I can watch it tomorrow if its on, episode 3 so I might look into watching this at my convenience.

I like this site and will setup profile etc. cheers all. It doesn't get much better than this. I only look out for this channel as at this time they usually put Star Trek Next Generation on... Looks like it's Stargate they've gone with.

I don't wanna sound like a perv but Amanda Tapping? Hello Amanda!

Comment

a perv? You'd be one if you *didn't* admire Amanda She's terrific, and the character of Sam is a great package - brains, tough, and easy on the eyes to boot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Two episodes down, I want more.

Are there any rich women on here (with ALL the box sets and a big tv) who want to shack up with a genuinely enthusiastic newbie?

Apply within

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              a perv? You'd be one if you *didn't* admire Amanda She's terrific, and the character of Sam is a great package - brains, tough, and easy on the eyes to boot.
                              If you can ignore a few of her early quirks
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T78 View Post
                                Two episodes down, I want more.

Are there any rich women on here (with ALL the box sets and a big tv) who want to shack up with a genuinely enthusiastic newbie?

Apply within
                                LOL, I'm too late! I moved to Vancouver from the UK 7 years ago, and stuck with a hubby with no interest in Stargate whatsoever. So, I'm destined to be on my own with the big TV, all the Stargate box sets, and the authentic Stargate scenery. I don't qualify for the rich part either!

Comment

Working...
                                X