Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first post in ANY forum, and don't know what I'm doing. Any suggestions on how not to do dumb stuff that annoys everybody? Thanks for your help.
    EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITIES, ONE STARGATE AT A TIME

Comment

Hi and welcome,star !
      Best advice I can offer,is to read the Forum F.A.Q.,http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?as all the rules and netiquette are in there.
      Also we've got a "Welcome" thread for new members you can introduce yourself in :
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=359

Main thing is to relax,get comfy and enjoy posting,so good luck !
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

thank god for this post
        RADEK ZELENKA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok. I'm struggling and need to do a test post to see if I have this spoiler tag figured out. Please overlook me.

Spoiler:
          This is a test.
          -girlgater

Comment

Probably need more techie help for this.
            I'm having a really bizarre problem in trying to post to an already existing topic. Sometimes I can post, if I only post one message per log-in session and disconnect.

Tonight, I can see my "welcome..." message, only on the page and topic that I am able to post. If it disappears, which it has, it's like the system (vbb) just lost my log-in, and I still have to start all over again (and again, and again).

Once the box switches back to "User ID" or whatever, I know the system has lost my log-in again.

And another problem is that sometimes I can see my name logged in at the bottom, and other times, it's not there when I've already logged in. Very Strange.

As of this posting, this is the first time I've also actually seen the "My Controls" and "Log-out" buttons. I tried logging out, and got a system error message with an alternative "click here to log-out" link. Weird.

I did have a rather lengthy post I wanted to add to the Atlantis Season One forum, but the topic or forum won't keep me logged-in or something is malfunctioning somewhere....

Still Clueless. If one of the techie people can figure this out and let me know what else to do (I've cleared the cookies several times, too), it'd be greatly appreciated.
            Thank you.

Comment

I've never used a chat thing at all so I'm totally lost. How do I get my post reply to come up on this screen? (I mean the main thread screen.)
              where do I see replies?

Comment

Originally posted by gater20
                I've never used a chat thing at all so I'm totally lost. How do I get my post reply to come up on this screen? (I mean the main thread screen.)
                where do I see replies?
                Usually you can spot a direct reply to your post by the use of a quote from a post of yours; like this one. There isn't any other way to reply directly to an individual, except by naming them at the start of the post (but if you're going to do that it's usually worth quoting them anyway).

There's nothing that flags up when someone quotes you or replies to you. In the list of threads in each sub-forum there are envelope icons at the side, and if the icon has an arrow on it then it's a thread that you've posted in and so it might be worth checking for replies.

See also How to Subscribe to Threads.

Madeleine

Comment

I still don't understand how to quote two different posts. Is it necessary to actually retype in the information from the second post?

Comment

Right-click on quote on the first one left-click quote on the second one, copy/paste the text from the second one into the other box compose your post and woot!!!!!
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                      Right-click on quote on the first one left-click quote on the second one, copy/paste the text from the second one into the other box compose your post and woot!!!!!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Your welcome
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Can I just post this here to see if I've got it right before maaking a fool of my self when posting

Test

Comment

Originally posted by lizabeth39 View Post
                            Can I just post this here to see if I've got it right before maaking a fool of my self when posting
                            no problem
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              Generally speaking, with vBulletin you reply to the thread -- not to a specific post. In "threaded mode" for reading threads, however, the reply architecture is visible -- so if you are replying to one post in particular rather than to the topic in general, use the "Quote" or "QR" button on that post.

"Quote" will automatically include the post in your editor, which you can edit to indicate which specific statements you are replying to!

How do you figure out which posts are to you? In normal "linear mode," replies are not directed toward one person, but to the thread itself. Look for replies that quote your post and/or address you by name.
                              You forgot the part about the snark requirement
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X