Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer the new rep level descriptions. My user rank currently fits with my rep level. Not a big deal really, but I like it.

Hmm. I would have preferred the reputation system to remain unchanged. There should be positive or negative rep votes, or none at all. I think a vote of no confidence is equally as valid as a pat on the back.

Can't say I've ever abused the system - red AND green, which is also easily abused, imo. Any red reps I've handed out has been fully deserved, and I've always tried to be constructive with my comment. Same goes with green reps. Maybe I should have spoken up when the discussion was in full swing, but would it have made any difference on the final decision? I don't think so, to be honest. Maybe I'm doing the rep thing wrong.

Can't wait for the larger avatars to roll-out because Citizen G'Kar deserves it.

I'm curious about what's going to happen to the old moderators. Are they going to be boxed up and put into permanent storage?

Overall, the things I like and dislike about the forum changes balances out for me, so I don't think I'm going to leave any time soon.

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
    We have nesses?
    I couldn't answer that one for ye Kliggs, but I know we have a Nessie in Loch Ness.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
      We have nesses?

I think I lost my nesses a long time ago.....

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        Thanks for all the changes Darren. I like them, but I do hope that the avatars aren't getting too big(70x70 would be good enough for me).
        That sounds like a nice number or maybe 75 x 75.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Darren and Co for making these changes! I also love the new ranking system

It's good to have people watch our lovely backsides

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            [LIST][*] Community Vision Statement. This is the biggest change, since it reflects the fact that we are trying to change the overall tone of our online home. Thanks again to everyone who participated in the discussion.
            Excellent stuff.

[*] User Ranks. Instead of being "Jaffa Fodder" you've now joined the ranks of the U.S. Air Force as a "Second Lieutenant." Good job! Your user rank appears on all posts (and your profile) directly below your name, and is based on the number of posts you have made (excluding the Off-Topic folder).
            I do like the new rank system. So hurrah.

[*] No Negative Reps. To the chagrin of some and rejoicing of others, we have chosen to disable the red reputation votes. Instead, we encourage you to use the Reputation system to give someone a pat on the back and a vote of confidence. (The Rep system is for fun, and doesn't affect your forum status or access to any features.)
            Well I've only redded, three times in my time here, so it's not a big loss. I'll just have to compensate by stalking those I dislike and postng letters through their door.....

(I KID!)

[*] Bigger Avatars! You asked (begged, pleased, demanded, threatened), and we heard you. Bigger user avatars are coming just as soon as we get them uploaded.
            *deep heavy breath* But... but... I LIKE my Major Davis avatar. Ah well, long as I can keep mine, I'm happy.

[*] No Character Bashing, Please. We've added a new rule for the forum:
            Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful, and avoid outright hate.
            But I REALLY hate 'third marine' from Episode 5! He's the worst character ever and MUST be bashed.

[*] New Moderators! We're still working on this one, but we're hoping to make some announcements soon.

*whistles*

Can I open a pool?

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
            One posts here for several years, and impresses the existing mods with one's thoughtfulness, level-headedness and other assorted nesses
            Level-headedness? Well that's me and half the board out then

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Thank you. These are great changes.

Comment

Hi all,

[*] Bigger Avatars! You asked (begged, pleased, demanded, threatened), and we heard you. Bigger user avatars are coming just as soon as we get them uploaded.

Enjoy 2009 at GateWorld!
                current avatar size

80X80

100X100

i thought examples would help the discussion
                post i made in another thread

Comment

Huh...

Much appreciated Major.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                    No character bashing and bigger avatars? I think I'm gonna like these changes. Oh and here's a suggestion, more Sam avatars . And is it too much to ask for some Amanda and Helen avatars?
                    Well if you get your rear end in gear and start posting more you'll be able to have your own customised Avatar

Originally posted by Lara_SGC View Post
                    Thank you Darren and Co for making these changes! I also love the new ranking system

It's good to have people watch our lovely backsides
                    I'd watch O'Neills backside any time Um, hehe* clears throat*

Originally posted by Major lee adama View Post
                    current avatar size

80X80

100X100

i thought examples would help the discussion
                    post i made in another thread
                    Personally I think 80 x 80 would be big enough...I think 100 x 100 looks too big....JMHO

Oh and onto a very important question......Will I still be allowed to hit Jel with a fish

Ooh i'm an SG team leader First the SGC, then the world
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi all,

Here's a quicky run-down of some of the forum changes we're kicking off in 2009:
                      • Community Vision Statement. This is the biggest change, since it reflects the fact that we are trying to change the overall tone of our online home. Thanks again to everyone who participated in the discussion.

• User Ranks. Instead of being "Jaffa Fodder" you've now joined the ranks of the U.S. Air Force as a "Second Lieutenant." Good job! Your user rank appears on all posts (and your profile) directly below your name, and is based on the number of posts you have made (excluding the Off-Topic folder).

• No Negative Reps. To the chagrin of some and rejoicing of others, we have chosen to disable the red reputation votes. Instead, we encourage you to use the Reputation system to give someone a pat on the back and a vote of confidence. (The Rep system is for fun, and doesn't affect your forum status or access to any features.)

• Bigger Avatars! You asked (begged, pleased, demanded, threatened), and we heard you. Bigger user avatars are coming just as soon as we get them uploaded.

• No Character Bashing, Please. We've added a new rule for the forum:
                        Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful, and avoid outright hate.
                      • New Moderators! We're still working on this one, but we're hoping to make some announcements soon.

• ... More to come? We're always open to your suggestions.
                      Enjoy 2009 at GateWorld!
                      I've got to say, those are great changes. However, I've never used the negative rep system, nor ever received any, so that one means nothing to me, but I can understand the problems some people have with it.

And we're in the USAF now? I find myself strangely pleased by this...for an asthmatic Brit who suffers from vertigo and major jet lag.

The Community Vision Statement works for me - sounds good without being too long.

Bigger avatars? I'd prefer bigger signatures! Yes, I know there's a lot of people who think they are too big as they are, but I like looking at other people's sigs as much as reading their posts.

As for the new mods, oh those poor, damned souls...I'm sure they'll do as good a job as the others have been doing.

So all in all, yet another thumbs up.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Thank you Darren, and happy new year!

That's very true, short is better. The new Vision Statement is much clearer than the previous versions, as long as people remember that not everybody enjoys Stargate the same way. There are those who enjoy praising it but there are also those who enjoy analysing it and filling the holes left by the writers.

User Ranks.
                        Well, I found the old ones more meaningful (even for me who's not a SG-1 fan), but I don't mind.

No Negative Reps.
                        Cool. While I was never a victim of red abuse, I understand how unpleasant it can be for those who are. And I'm glad I still have a quick way to express compliments that don't necessarily deserve an answer.

Bigger Avatars!
                        Cooooool! My poor Todd felt a bit cramped and you could barely recognise him. How much bigger is bigger?

No Character Bashing, Please. We've added a new rule for the forum:
                        I approve, but only main characters? I mean, I absolutely loathe Larrin but even she has her fans.
                        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                        sigpic

Comment

How very dare you do that!!... I was looking forward to advising the System Lords.

on a more serious note, a great move - wahey and well done!
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Great job Darren!!!!!

And to all the Mods, keep up the great work you have been doing. I know that there may be a few rough bumps in the road, but I know you are doing your best and in the end everything will be good!!
                            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

the old mods won't be boxed up, they'll still be here and be active. We're just gonna add to our ranks.

And, no, you can't apply to be a mod. It's more of a 'wow, have you seen how so and so has handled his/herself the past few months? wonder if they'd like to be a mod' process. the current mods nominate people that they think will be good mods and we go from there.

The no character bashing will not only apply to posts but to sigs and avatars as well. We haven't decided on a 'ok, gonna houseclean' date, but right now, if a person has a bashing sig, and you know that it's a bashing sig, please be responsible for yourself and replace it with something that fits our rules better.

As Darren has said, these changes will filter through the forum slowly. That being said, there will be some prep work. For example, one of the areas that will see the most change will be the characters and relationships area. It will also be one of the last areas dealt with.

Our plans are....over the next few weeks, to go through C&R, show by show, character by character, pairing by pairing and list the threads, which threads we have no issue with, which we think should be merged (for example, in one pairing we found 3 separate threads all devoted to a certain pairing, 1 active, 2 very inactive...do we merge them or simply close the old ones?)

Some threads simply need to be renamed to remove the buzzwords of 'pro' and 'anti', and we'd like the input of the thread participants in that renaming.

What we're planning to do is:

for example, here's a list of all the ronon threads and the ronon pairing threads. These 29 are fine and will remain untouched, these 2 we have issues with, this is what we'd like to do with them, what's your input'

along that line.

No character or pairing will be handled the same because they're all different. For example, the universe threads don't need any work, the stargate threads only need a few (this is the C&R area only), while some of the atlantis threads will need to be majorly overhauled.

In some cases, a pairing is so popular and has such a massive existing community, it may necessitate its own discussion thread. We'll assess each situation as it develops.

We'll open the threads, allot about a week per thread(s) for discussion, come up with what we're gonna do, then shut the discussion thread down and move on. The actual actions may not be taken for weeks, but people will know what's coming.

If the actions to be taken are minor - like let's say out of the 29 Ed threads, we just need to edit one of them and everyone agrees on the edit, if they're cool with it, we may just make that edit and then it's done and settled.

We'll be posting more on this as the time nears and we're ready to start the conversations.

One thing that they all will have in common, however, is within the next couple of months, all the threads will be in line with the community statement. So if you play in a thread that you know won't fit (and you're smart folks, you'll have a good idea) it might be good for you to start thinking now what you'd like to do. If you know your thread is going to have to be renamed, start thinking of something that could be considered.

We want to preserve as much history as we can, that being said, if a thread is simply not redeemable and the participants in the thread are not willing to accept the community statement and hold thier conversations in line with how we want things to be, some topics may need a 'fresh start'.

It will be a case by case issue. Every group is different and every group has its own way to do things and we'll do our best to accomodate that
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                the old mods won't be boxed up, they'll still be here and be active. We're just gonna add to our ranks.

And, no, you can't apply to be a mod. It's more of a 'wow, have you seen how so and so has handled his/herself the past few months? wonder if they'd like to be a mod' process. the current mods nominate people that they think will be good mods and we go from there.

The no character bashing will not only apply to posts but to sigs and avatars as well. We haven't decided on a 'ok, gonna houseclean' date, but right now, if a person has a bashing sig, and you know that it's a bashing sig, please be responsible for yourself and replace it with something that fits our rules better.

As Darren has said, these changes will filter through the forum slowly. That being said, there will be some prep work. For example, one of the areas that will see the most change will be the characters and relationships area. It will also be one of the last areas dealt with.

Our plans are....over the next few weeks, to go through C&R, show by show, character by character, pairing by pairing and list the threads, which threads we have no issue with, which we think should be merged (for example, in one pairing we found 3 separate threads all devoted to a certain pairing, 1 active, 2 very inactive...do we merge them or simply close the old ones?)

Some threads simply need to be renamed to remove the buzzwords of 'pro' and 'anti', and we'd like the input of the thread participants in that renaming.

What we're planning to do is:

for example, here's a list of all the ronon threads and the ronon pairing threads. These 29 are fine and will remain untouched, these 2 we have issues with, this is what we'd like to do with them, what's your input'

along that line.

No character or pairing will be handled the same because they're all different. For example, the universe threads don't need any work, the stargate threads only need a few (this is the C&R area only), while some of the atlantis threads will need to be majorly overhauled.

In some cases, a pairing is so popular and has such a massive existing community, it may necessitate its own discussion thread. We'll assess each situation as it develops.

We'll open the threads, allot about a week per thread(s) for discussion, come up with what we're gonna do, then shut the discussion thread down and move on. The actual actions may not be taken for weeks, but people will know what's coming.

If the actions to be taken are minor - like let's say out of the 29 Ed threads, we just need to edit one of them and everyone agrees on the edit, if they're cool with it, we may just make that edit and then it's done and settled.

We'll be posting more on this as the time nears and we're ready to start the conversations.

One thing that they all will have in common, however, is within the next couple of months, all the threads will be in line with the community statement. So if you play in a thread that you know won't fit (and you're smart folks, you'll have a good idea) it might be good for you to start thinking now what you'd like to do. If you know your thread is going to have to be renamed, start thinking of something that could be considered.

We want to preserve as much history as we can, that being said, if a thread is simply not redeemable and the participants in the thread are not willing to accept the community statement and hold thier conversations in line with how we want things to be, some topics may need a 'fresh start'.

It will be a case by case issue. Every group is different and every group has its own way to do things and we'll do our best to accomodate that
                                That sounds fair

Comment

Working...
                                X