Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good place to search for all those answers to questions is The FAQ section of the forum.
    sigpic

Comment

There's always that too Thanks SeaBee for being helpful.
      sigpic

Comment

Hello there !

I'm a newbie and already got into trouble with the forum *shame on me*
        If the problem had already been dealt with, please don't be mad at me, I'm a newbie (and French, which explains my poor english)

I'm having difficulties changing my profile and even send a pm to a member. This is the message I get :

Sorry, Nickki! You do not have access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

If you've recently signed up, your new account may still be awaiting activation. Have you received your validation e-mail?
        Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
        Only advanced members may add items to the Calendar. Check the FAQ for more info.
        Is it because I'm a newbie ? I've activated my account and did everything right (or so I thought xD) but I can't put a shiny new avatar and edit my signature...

Thanks for any help you can provide !

(And please forgive my awful english)

Comment

Originally posted by Nickki View Post
          Hello there !

I'm a newbie and already got into trouble with the forum *shame on me*
          If the problem had already been dealt with, please don't be mad at me, I'm a newbie (and French, which explains my poor english)

I'm having difficulties changing my profile and even send a pm to a member. This is the message I get :

Is it because I'm a newbie ? I've activated my account and did everything right (or so I thought xD) but I can't put a shiny new avatar and edit my signature...

Thanks for any help you can provide !

(And please forgive my awful english)
          Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but until you come off the Probie status access to those parts of the forum are blocked from you.
          This is because of spam attacks on the site using those routes to avoid the controls placed on new members.

Have a look at The FAQ Section for more details.

Have a read of your Welcome email as well as that also gives information about what you can and cannot do as a new member.
          sigpic

Comment

Ok, my mistake !

Thanks for the quick answer !

Comment

I am new and I think it's good to be very careful.
              I've visited many other forums and understand the problems - my homepage got spammed twice.
              Fortunately this is a moderated forum so I'm patient and looking through the avatars.
              Hm, are there any Janet Fraiser avatars??? Love her ...
              sigpic

Comment

*tries to access her profile*
                Uh uh. No go.
                *hunts for reason*
                Ah hah.

I've got a probie badge.

OK, Just posting here for a first post so when I go post elsewhere I don't have to shyly admit First Post! I was surprised at the lengths you had to go to to halt spammers, but anything has to be better than the wonderful forum Gateworld taken over by the scourge of the internet. Yes, looooong time lurker here - Gateworld has been my go-to site for anything 'Gate for years. I look forward to actually contributing!

Comment

Yes we have avatars with Janet Fraiser and let me wish you a big welcome to all new members
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                  StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                  GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleKitten View Post

OK, Just posting here for a first post so when I go post elsewhere I don't have to shyly admit First Post! I was surprised at the lengths you had to go to to halt spammers, but anything has to be better than the wonderful forum Gateworld taken over by the scourge of the internet. Yes, looooong time lurker here - Gateworld has been my go-to site for anything 'Gate for years. I look forward to actually contributing!
                    Welcome to the forum.
                    The Probie status wasn't always as tough as this, but a series of attacks by committed trolls and spammers, mostly caught early by the mods, have forced the site owner to introduce harder security. GW is one of the more popular sci fi websites, and it sometimes attracts the pond slime dwellers who get their kicks out of disrupting or crashing sites.
                    It can be a pain for some posters, and some complain that they can't have all the rights and posting abilities of established members, but, as you say, better a little security now than a lot of problems later. I have been to unmoderated or low secuity forums in the past and they are usually stuffed full of nasty pics and viruses.
                    sigpic

Comment

Greetings to all and sundry!

I am new here, and I am glad to see the rigorous moderation of this forum. I look forward to many interestign discussions and enlightening information!

Comment

I just joined up yesterday and can't edit my profile at all. Is this part of the probie status, or am I having an unrelated problem?

Comment

Originally posted by AnneMcSommers View Post
                          I just joined up yesterday and can't edit my profile at all. Is this part of the probie status, or am I having an unrelated problem?
                          Yes that is all part of the probie status. As always good people need to pay the price in inconveniences for a very small minority that "has no good intentions".
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I am okay with the needing approval and such. I would just like to be able to choose an avatar, and fill in my basic info. Even if it was just all dropdown from a list until you werent a probie.

Comment

Can't wait to add my avatar!!!

Comment

Well 2k posts and you will have your very own custom avatar
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                                StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                                GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Working...
                                X