X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GateWorld
    replied
    Automatic redirects certainly should never be caused by advertising on the site.

My first recommendation in this case is to install MalwareBytes, or a comparable program, and run some deep scans for malware. Redirects (or pop-ups) away from the site suggest some sort of browser hijacking, and are unlikely to be caused by an ad served from GW's provider.

~Darren

Leave a comment:

• jelgate
    replied
    I got an automatic redirect to this site while visiting a thread on the forum

Leave a comment:

• Platschu
    replied
    Thanks for suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• ScifigirlSG
    replied
    I use AdBlock Ultimate that's an extension of Microsoft Edge on my desktop. I also use ScanGuard and PCProtect that scan websites.

Leave a comment:

• Platschu
    replied
    The most agressive advertisements are on GateWorld. Even if I use my PC or my tablet or my mobile, it is truly shocking and not really a fun experience. I use AdBlockPlus, but these rubbish still show up. They are really annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did try what you suggested but Adblock Plus 3.5 has no block an ad on this page only block element, so the block an ad option must be with Adblock or another version of Adblock Plus.
    Ah yes... it's Adblock -- sorry. Though I also have Adblock Plus, so I just didn't look to closely at which program I was opening.

Leave a comment:

• planet_tv
    replied
    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    That's not an ad, so much as a video that will start autoplaying whenever you switch to a different page.

I find it highly annoying but at least it's muted and you can click it away and it will stay away until you go to a different page.

If you want it gone, you'll have to tell adblock plus what you want to block on the page (and I just tested it, and it won't make a reappearance on any page when you do):

(I have a Dutch menu so err... I'm winging it with the translations)

Go to Adblock Plus and choose to block an ad on this page. A pop-up will appear which will ask you to point the ad you want to block out by clicking on it, then it will ask you to move a bar to make it as invisible as you want it, and it will tell you what tag you just blocked from displaying. Hit the block button several times until you've made it through all the steps and you'll be scotfree.
    Thanks for the reply. I did try what you suggested but Adblock Plus 3.5 has no block an ad on this page only block element, so the block an ad option must be with Adblock or another version of Adblock Plus. What I did end up doing was was to add two custom filters, one whitelisted only the forum, @@||forum.gateworld.net$document , and the other, ||cdn.playwire.com , blocked the video. When the video has run its course I will disable Adblock Plus on the main page.
    Last edited by planet_tv; 04 May 2019, 03:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon Horus
    replied
    That's not an ad, so much as a video that will start autoplaying whenever you switch to a different page.

I find it highly annoying but at least it's muted and you can click it away and it will stay away until you go to a different page.

If you want it gone, you'll have to tell adblock plus what you want to block on the page (and I just tested it, and it won't make a reappearance on any page when you do):

(I have a Dutch menu so err... I'm winging it with the translations)

Go to Adblock Plus and choose to block an ad on this page. A pop-up will appear which will ask you to point the ad you want to block out by clicking on it, then it will ask you to move a bar to make it as invisible as you want it, and it will tell you what tag you just blocked from displaying. Hit the block button several times until you've made it through all the steps and you'll be scotfree.

Leave a comment:

• planet_tv
    replied
    There is this super annoying ad that appears in the lower right hand corner. It doesn't appear on the forum at all just all the pages that start with www.gateworld.net like news articles, the main page and the Omnipedia, for example. Now I only turn AdBlock Plus on when there is a super annoying ad that is outside the chosen designated areas for ads and then I turn back to disabled, when that ad has run its course, to let ads in chosen designated areas do there thing. This ad even appears when AdBlock Plus is enabled. I know this because I went to turn it to enabled for a short time, some months ago, and realized I had forgot to disable it after the last super annoying ad. Since there was no point in me doing my usual thing with super annoying ads, I turned it back to disabled. Now I don't know if this is a Chrome, Gateworld or Gateworld in Chrome issue and I'm not sure if it happens in other browsers, but I thought would finally mention this ad.

GateworldAdProblem1-1.JPG
    Last edited by planet_tv; 03 May 2019, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jelgate
    replied
    Got another redirect while I was on main forum page to the link below

http://bsw.4398.com/xy2/index.php?pu...e50ab52df4898a

Leave a comment:

• planet_tv
    replied
    After I made a post, I was redirected to a site warning about flash being out of date. I didn't click on anything expect the back button to get back to Gateworld. While I was trying to get a screen cap of the urls, I accidentally hit the forward button and that time it said something about Windows 7. I just hit the back button to get back to Gateworld. I don't know if this is the same one Jelgate mentioned.

Here is an image of the urls from my Chrome history:
    GateworldIssue1.JPG

I did run Malwarebytes and it picked up anything which is good.

Leave a comment:

• ScifigirlSG
    replied
    I'm seeing all kinds of ads from PayPal to Sprint. Avast online security has stopped working. Will have to search for another ad blocker for Windows 10 on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• GateWorld
    replied
    I've seen this ad, too -- I'll contact our advertising network and see if we can get it squashed.

~Darren

Leave a comment:

• jelgate
    replied
    I very been getting a lot of pop ups on GW the past few days. Even a few minutes ago when I clicked this thread from the Forum Help folder I was redirected to this ad

http://ad.t78.net/20180918/index.php...7e9c202b29566#

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    When I type my login name and my password to the forum, then it doesn't cover the characters with stars and it always swallows it as a first failed attempt. Then a new window shows up, where I can log in as usual. Has anyone else noticed this glitch? Just I was worried my browser was hacked or something.
    Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
    The exact same thing happens to me. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
    Hola!

Just answered in Ask the Mods: Link
    I don't think this problem is ad-related.I remember this glitch happening years ago,but I can't remember whether it was a coding problem or a browser fail.
    Hopefully Darren/Greg will find out for sure!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X