Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Malwarebytes,because going by the nature of some of those "ads," they're the kind that are supposed to be excluded from GW altogether.

The most ads anyone SHOULD see on GW are one at the top of the display and one at the foot of threads.

Mailed a link to Darren.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Thanks for the information, Bagpuss.

Just finished running Malwarebytes, but it found nothing. I really didn't expect it to though. I ran it at the beginning of July (routine maintenance) as well as dumped all the cookies and history at that time.

I honestly think it was just a glitch of some kind. I've never had that happen before when in a thread and I doubt I could recreate it if I tried.

Just wanted you all to see it in case anyone else has an issue. I'll let you know if it happens again though and get more screen shots so you can see what other ads are stacked. Oddly... there is no banner at the top of this thread at the moment.

Edit: Had the "no-banner" happen a few more times so I capped it... although I'm not complaining about no ads... actually not complaining about the stack of banners either.

Last edited by bailey1ak; 10 July 2014, 09:43 AM. Reason: adding info and cap
      sigpic

Comment

That's actually happened to me twice today. I haven't capped it yet and it's not all the time. I don't think I had 22, but I did have a stack of 'em.
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Sometimes Chrome users hit this glitch.Are either of you using that browser just now?

I'm getting ads at the top of this thread (mainly for Google!) ,but I'm on Firefox 30 with Win 7 and 64-bit.

Another quick q : have either of you had any Windows updates come through very recently?

Comment

I use Chrome and I'm pretty sure there's been a Windows update not long ago (not positive if in July or end of June). I do use Win 7 and 64-bit.

Kind of a weird glitch... but at least it isn't too annoying or anything. yet...
            sigpic

Comment

Might be worth checking out your Windows Updater ,just in case you've got some coming through the pipe.

FF doesn't perform well when these updates are due either.I usually end up with frozen pages or slow ads just before they arrive!

Comment

I'm on chrome, too.

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit; last update on 06.15.14 included 2 security updates.

Comment

Signed back in on Chrome.

So far no ad glitches,but that might just be luck,or my geo-linked ads are behaving themselves nicely,lol!

One thing I AM noticing again on this thread's ads : other sites are trying to get us to click to DL their "remove malware" programs.

The Program we've been advising GateWorlders to check out is the *Free* Malwarebytes version that can be found here: www.malwarebytes.org

( Or use another prog you've tried and can trust!)

Comment

Oh, yeah - I run Malwarebytes weekly on the computer I've been using today. We've got fantastic security - this is my office machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                      Oh, yeah - I run Malwarebytes weekly on the computer I've been using today. We've got fantastic security - this is my office machine.
                      I am on my office machine too.

Bagpuss... I restarted the machine and allowed it to do any updates it wanted. (I think there were 12)

Unlike Amara D'Angeli, I haven't had it happen but the once. Not sure it will again, but I'm as up to day and malware free as I can be at the moment.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the head's up, gang. This is a really, really weird glitch! It would be coming from the Google Adsense code itself -- and might indeed be Chrome-specific. (Let us know if the ad stack turns up in any other browser.)

I'll attempt to set a maximum height for the ad space and hide the overflow, so that even if it tries to display multiple ads they will be hidden. But we're in uncharted waters here, so no promises it will work.

~Darren

Comment

That Ram ad is back.

Link from when it first appeared:
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/2...1#post14119300

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Yes, and it opens by itself when you first get on GW.
                            sigpic

Comment

Really hoped that one had gone for good back in April!

Have you guys seen any clues (in the code that comes up along the base of the forum page as the ad starts off) as to whether it's coming in via googleads or a different source?

Comment

Avast Free version now has a free adblock upgrade, and I have not seen an ad since installing it.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X