Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick one. How do I quote part of a post? I try and delete the parts I don't want to reference but then it doesn't post in the special 'quote box' thing. Cheers
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      This is a bit of a delayed reaction, but it's been nagging at me since someone mentioned it.

Chuck was moved to OT for not being "science fiction" right? And yet the threads for Prison Break and 24 continue to be allowed in the SF&F folder even though they have even less to do with scifi than Chuck? I'm sure I reported the PB thread a long time ago and recently did so again and it's probably the same with 24, but in the off chance that those threads are NOT moved I'd like to hear the reasoning behind their being allowed to stay. And if they ARE going to be allowed, then shouldn't Chuck go back to SF&F? He has a computer databse in his head. That's a bit more scifi than guys escaping from prison or some dude hunting down terrorists.
      In this case, moving it to off topic would result in folks losing hundreds of posts. If they were going to be moved, we shouldhave moved them when they were in thier infancy. I'll take a look at chuck.

we'll also look at the other threads and see what we want to do with them.

I'm sure, however, someone's opinion of what to do might be different if those someones had their post counts effected by it

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      Quick one. How do I quote part of a post? I try and delete the parts I don't want to reference but then it doesn't post in the special 'quote box' thing. Cheers
      do the quote thing, then, when you're snipping, just leave intact the {QUOTE} and {/QUOTE} and it'll work just fine.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

There is something I wondered about for some while now...the post count per day, which is found inthe statistics - does it include all postes (on and off topic) or only the on topic posts?

sigpic

Comment

Posts count through all the forum folders ,except for those made in the "Off-Topic Chatter" section.
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I think Shan meant the "Posts: 5,764,416" bit in GateWorld Forum Statistics on the main page, next to the number of Threads and Members... which I think does include the off topic posts.

Or maybe the average post count (Posts per day) in the member profile under Statistics.. which doesn't count off-topic posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
              I think Shan meant the "Posts: 5,764,416" bit in GateWorld Forum Statistics on the main page, next to the number of Threads and Members... which I think does include the off topic posts.
              Just checked the front page,and the answer appears to be a "yes".

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep
              Or maybe the average post count (Posts per day) in the member profile under Statistics.. which doesn't count off-topic posts.
              Personal averages don't count the OT posts .
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Would there be any reason changing your email on your profile would erase stuff in your profile? Like albums and sigs and such?

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
                  Would there be any reason changing your email on your profile would erase stuff in your profile? Like albums and sigs and such?
                  If you change the email on your account. you need to let us know to send you a new activation for the new email address. I am not sure if it *removes* all that you are listing above or just restricts access until the new email has been confirmed and activated

Hopefully those this has happened to will let us know

Edit: This is to ensure that the person actually changing the email is the account owner and they are the one that changed the email. That a little brother or unknown hacker has not decided to mess around and change your info
                  Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                    If you change the email on your account. you need to let us know to send you a new activation for the new email address. I am not sure if it *removes* all that you are listing above or just restricts access until the new email has been confirmed and activated

Didn't happen to me. I'm just trying to help out a fellow member who had this happen. I would hope it doesn't erase everything.

Edit: Seems the issue has been resolved. And nothing gets erased.
                    Last edited by DuncTK421; 19 January 2009, 07:46 AM.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Edit: This is to ensure that the person actually changing the email is the account owner and they are the one that changed the email. That a little brother or unknown hacker has not decided to mess around and change your info
                      Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
                      Didn't happen to me. I'm just trying to help out a fellow member who had this happen. I would hope it doesn't erase everything.

Edit: Seems the issue has been resolved. And nothing gets erased.
                      Just to FYI this for folks

If you change the email on your account you do need to request a new activation email.
                      You may notice some of the *special* things you might have done on your account are not accessible as well as who left you rep comments and such. So please PM Skydiver or myself and request a *Activation Email* if you change your email address
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Just to FYI this for folks

If you change the email on your account you do need to request a new activation email.
                        You may notice some of the *special* things you might have done on your account are not accessible as well as who left you rep comments and such. So please PM Skydiver or myself and request a *Activation Email* if you change your email address
                        Is this a new thing? When I changed my email not a long time ago it sent me an automated activation email...
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                          Is this a new thing? When I changed my email not a long time ago it sent me an automated activation email...
                          the system should automatically send out an e-mail to the new address...however if someone 'oops' and typos that new address, you'll never get the activation and the account will be locked until an admin unlocks it for you

Also, your ISP's or your own spam filter can 'eat' the mail, so you never get it. That's when you turn to one of us to fix things for you
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

While we always appreciate folks input in the threads regarding various issues.....

Folks THIS is the Ask the Mods thread and is to be reserved for questions, not your opinions nor your passing thoughts on our answers.

So please do not be surprised when your posts disappear. If they are not a question we are going to try and be more diligent about removing them as folks are not finding the answers to commonly asked questions.

Comment

The e-mail is automated, yes. It often gets lost in spam / bulk mail folders, though.

vBulletin (and GateWorld) requires you to use a valid e-mail address. So when you change your e-mail address, vBulletin sticks you back into the "Waiting for E-mail Validation" usergroup, which means you lose posting access and access to some site features until you are re-validated.

It shouldn't ever delete anything from your account (you won't have to recreate your sig or reselect your avatar, or anything silly like that), but if you continue to browse the forum before re-validating you will notice that some things aren't available to you any more.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

If you cant access you email but your email adresse isnt changing or anything will GW shut you out at anypoint? For instance i cant access my Yahoo email account for some reason but im not changing my email so will anyting happen.?
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X