Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would say if the rule you're worried about is making private messages public...the message was sent to you and it's up to you what you do with it.

we as moderators do not peer into others' private messages and that is the only real level of 'privacy' that they have. They're just like any other e-mail in that once they're 'sent' they're sent

if you're concerned about your posts, you can delete them, but i really see no rule violation
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I would like to add though Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
      If you are *conveying* information for a poster that is on Moderation then you are in violation. Since you (general you) are the only one who *knows* then you are on an honor system to not circumvent the rules by posting *for* a member so they can *get around* the moderation.
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
        I would like to add though Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
        If you are *conveying* information for a poster that is on Moderation then you are in violation. Since you (general you) are the only one who *knows* then you are on an honor system to not circumvent the rules by posting *for* a member so they can *get around* the moderation.
        It was not my intent to circumvent moderation nor did BigGator5 ask me to do so.

Rather, the other members on the thread had questions left unanswered, which BigGator5's PMs to me addressed.

I thought that by conveying his intent and not quoting him directly, I was not breaking the rules.

However, I shall delete those two posts to be on the safe side.

Thank you both.

Comment

what tame is referring to is if....Ted is put on moderation for violating the forum's rules and ted's friend Ed continues to post Ted's words for him, thus allowing Ted to keep breaking the rules using Ed's access

that's bad and will get Ed in as much trouble as Ted is in

Now if Ted's victim, Martin, complains about Ted in such a way that mentions but doesn't bring the private dispute public - like Martin talks about how he's received nasty pm's from someone but doesn't incite others to riot, as long as Martin doesn't bring his private dispute public, he'll be within the rules, even if he's dancing on the edges of them

Private messages are called that because they are private communication between two folks. they're not called that because they're secret. There is no promise of privacy beyond the fact that two people can communicate via a system that's similar to e-mail instead of posting it out in the open where all and sundry can read it - like a post in a thread.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            what tame is referring to is if....Ted is put on moderation for violating the forum's rules and ted's friend Ed continues to post Ted's words for him, thus allowing Ted to keep breaking the rules using Ed's access

Now if Ted's victim, Martin, complains about Ted in such a way that mentions but doesn't bring the private dispute public - like Martin talks about how he's received nasty pm's from someone but doesn't incite others to riot, as long as Martin doesn't bring his private dispute public, he'll be within the rules, even if he's dancing on the edges of them

Private messages are called that because they are private communication between two folks. they're not called that because they're secret. There is no promise of privacy beyond the fact that two people can communicate via a system that's similar to e-mail instead of posting it out in the open where all and sundry can read it - like a post in a thread.
            Okay, thanks. I think I understand now. Neither BigGator5 nor I intended to circumvent moderation together.
            Even still, those two posts have already been annotated and deleted.

Comment

Hey mods.

I know it's an old thread, but wouldn't this:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4168

belong in GenGate?

Also, what about the SGA guess the quote thread in the SGA season 1 folder? Surely it would have more traffic if it was in the GenGate folder?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Skydiver said it exactly the way I meant to get it across. Thanks Sky!!
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Moderators, I need help. I would like to do something in the Roleplay section which I am not sure is possible.

Can I create a thread, put only a few selected posts into it, have it closed for posting and turned into a 'sticky'? And can the original posters, Colonel Sharp and / or Gen Blue edit their posts in this thread?

What I want to put into this 'Closed' thread is the Rules for the RPG, the steps to follow to join, and a few helpful tidbits. I know this info is already in the FAQS thread, but no one goes back to the first page to read it.
                  This would be so the information could be there, in one place, at one click with a very obvious title.
                  "So you want to learn about the Role Play?" or something to that effect.

Is it possible and would you let it be done?
                  Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
                  sigpic

Comment

Well...we can close the thread for you and make it sticky after you've put in what you want to put in but what I'm not sure about is if regular members can edit posts on a closed thread. I know that I, as a moderator, can make posts and/or edit posts on a closed thread but I don't know if everybody else can. It might have to be a case of trial and error. Either that or, if you can't edit posts in a closed thread, you may have to PM a mod with what you want to add and have one of us do it for you.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Merci beaucoup, Madame Shipperahoy. *bows* Once the posts are posted, there should be no changes. Or very few.

Now I need to work up exactly what the posts should say and whether Sharp or I should do the posting. Shall I contact you when we're ready to go? Hopefully late next week.

One quick question, I can't find this. When do I get more than 30 PM's storage?
                      Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
                      sigpic

Comment

Du rien.

Yes, go ahead and contact one of us when you're all set. As far as PM storage goes I'm not actually certain any more since Darren last changed the posting level requirements for stuff. Somebody with a high post count probably knows though

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                          Well...we can close the thread for you and make it sticky after you've put in what you want to put in but what I'm not sure about is if regular members can edit posts on a closed thread. I know that I, as a moderator, can make posts and/or edit posts on a closed thread but I don't know if everybody else can. It might have to be a case of trial and error. Either that or, if you can't edit posts in a closed thread, you may have to PM a mod with what you want to add and have one of us do it for you.
                          In most forums, posters cannot modify anything in a closed topic. The only ones who can work with closed topics are mods and admins. This includes editing a post i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                            In most forums, posters cannot modify anything in a closed topic. The only ones who can work with closed topics are mods and admins. This includes editing a post i believe.
                            It's just good sense. If "commoners" could edit their posts after a thread was closed, than any on-going war could simply be continued by people continually editing their posts. Not that anyone would EVER do that, of course.

Comment

Hey mods, can I get someone to correct the spelling of the thread I just started so it reads "Nothing Like A Good Scotch!"

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=24111

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

Comment

Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X