Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, now on to my problem. Though it's not really a problem, per se. Just a curiosity.

On some of the GW pages, the ads at the bottom are coming in either German or Swedish (not sure which.)

Comment

Just how the ad company serves them up. We really don't have any control over it beyond Darren telling them 'not these topics please'

They usually trigger off key words in the page.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

For me it seems like the ads are more based on previous google searches than anything else. For instance, I was car shopping the other day and now all I'm seeing are auto ads.
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          Just how the ad company serves them up. We really don't have any control over it beyond Darren telling them 'not these topics please'

They usually trigger off key words in the page.
          Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
          For me it seems like the ads are more based on previous google searches than anything else. For instance, I was car shopping the other day and now all I'm seeing are auto ads.
          Thanks for the info. However, I haven't looked up anything in German or Swedish. Just French and Russian.

Comment

but if it's based off the cookies on your computer, foreign language sites, then that could trigger it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              but if it's based off the cookies on your computer, foreign language sites, then that could trigger it.
              Okay. If you say so. But it only just started. Not that its a big deal.

Comment

It can be a combo of based off cookies, and then when the ad campaign runs. Some advertisers just pay for a month or certain weeks, etc.

sigpic

Comment

Got a question...

Where do you guys stand on the use of swears in fan art that is being post here on GW? I'm making a sig and using a quote from SPN but it has the word b1tch in it and I want to make sure I abide by GW's rules. And, is there a way to write/represent that word that is acceptable?

Like b1tch, b*tch, b!tch... or should I just go with @#*%&.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME.

Comment

B**** or plain ***** would be within the GW rules for pics,posts,VM etc.

@#*%& is also something we'd class as self-modding,though a bit dubious and a grey line depending on the context.

Like any other words that hit the asterisk barrier,less usage is better in general terms.

Darren's parameters.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 31 January 2014, 10:36 PM.
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Got it, thanks Bagpuss.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

through the years, i've saved avatars that i've seen (and got permission), but *so* many of them are supposedly too big to use on the forum.

is the limitations going to be changed any time soon? out of my 20 something avatars, i can't use 15 of them...
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Hi Sal.No changes in the pipeline via Darren or Vbb,but if you know which ones need to be resized,ask in the Art threads or your other fave threads and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you out!

Edit to add.
                          There are other graphics threads but these are the most recently posted to:
                          Artwork for All

The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack Ship family
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 February 2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

This may be a weird question, but I just noticed that when I access the forum's mobile version on my phone, other users' signature photos and text show up but I don't see my own. I'm just curious as to whether this happens to others and why it happens?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I can't see your sig just now,either.It's still in the buffer and in your "About me" on your Profile - just not displayed.

Maybe the Mobile version automatically switches it off.

If anyone reads this post and is currently using the Mobile Skin-can you check it out too in your posts,please.

Might be one for Vbb and Greg to take a look at!

Comment

Okay, I see what you mean. Weird. REALLY weird.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                                sigpic
                                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Working...
                                X