This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I don't mean to take this out on you, Caprice, and apologies if it seems that way.
    Apology accepted.

But there seems to be a constant confusion on these grounds and even those who've read the FAQ don't always seem to understand it.
    Actually, I agree the FAQ makes this quite clear. As of now I had not seen the FAQ and the FAQ is the last place I would have gone looking for the site rules/policies on this subject. My apologies for asking a question with an obvious answer .

Of course, the most basic rule of thumb is, "If you think it might be a spoiler, tag it." It's better to be overly cautious than to risk ruining an episode for someone.
    Yeah, thats the thing, I'm glad I asked cos there are many considerations that hadn't come to my mind (viewers from other countries or viewers with different viewing schedules, etc.) and being I watch things multiple weeks and sometimes months late generally as it is I would have (without someone intervening) just assumed I am the last person to see it.

Thank you for your quick (albeit somewhat curt) responce and I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt. LOL

Comment

for stargate, we use tags for season 8 and 9 and all of atlantis since the first few eps are all that's been in syndication

i think for lost, bsg, etc, it's the present network season

also, when y ou use tags, you don't really need them for every discussion about an upcoming episode. The fact that Vala was in the first 6 eps of s9 isn't really a spoiler...now details as to what she did/said/her eventual fate, now that's a spoiler

some folks here are spoiler hounds. they need and want every detail about an upcoming episode. some are like me....i don't mind the vague 'characer x is kidnapped on planet y and the rest of the team has to rescue him' spoilers...but i don't want to read a play by play in detail telling me how it ends
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Addendum to the spoiler policy (this is in the thread "Spoiler policy for non-stargage shows" if anyone wants further clarification or discussion):

For shows like Firefly, Lost etc, where there are subfolders for the various seasons' Episodes, the rule for the Episode threads is anything subsequent is a spoiler.

So if Jonny gets a dramatic nosebleed in eps 2.12 and 4.15, feel free to discuss the paralells at length in the thread for Ep 4.15, but if you must mention it in the 2.12 ep use the spoiler tags.

This shouldn't be too onerous, and it will give protection both to non-americans who get the show years later, and to anyone who might 'discover' the show late - perhaps via GW

Madeleine

Comment

After re-reading the FAQs, I can't find any hard and fast rules on this, so I'll ask here. What is the policy on double or triple (or more) posting? I noticed a thread where someone had a dozen or more posts in a row.
          Earth...steaks. There's a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by skye1974
            After re-reading the FAQs, I can't find any hard and fast rules on this, so I'll ask here. What is the policy on double or triple (or more) posting? I noticed a thread where someone had a dozen or more posts in a row.
            Some people do it because they dont know that they can cut/paste quotes and make one big post

If they are done in rapid succession they dont add to your post count
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I think it depends on where the thread is (if it's in off topic it's less of an issue than it would be in a section where posts count). It probably also depends on how much time passes between posts. I know I've "revived" threads from days/weeks/months ago where I was also the last poster. But then, I've also seen people who post multiple times in a row just because they can. Or because they're too, um, excited to hit "edit" instead of "reply".

But more than three seems a bit much.

I know that one SOME boards, there's a feature that will automatically combine multiposts into one, but I think Darren had a good reason why we don't do that here. I just can't remember what. Oh. Right. Joe Mallozzi. He posts dozens of times in a row when he's answering questions and if that got combined into one post... it'd be ugly.

I think there are other, legitimate reasons for multiposts, but it doesn't hurt to have a mod look in and see.

Comment

I think there are other, legitimate reasons for multiposts, but it doesn't hurt to have a mod look in and see.
                Its a judgement call you have to decide if they are deliberately trying to up their post count/spamming or if that is just the way they do things
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

I know that I often may have several posts in a row, if I come into a thread late, and reply to something on page 1, page 3, page 6, page 9 etc, and no one else is in the thread at the moment. I never thought a whole lot about it, but then I never think a whole lot about post count anyway. Just never found it to be a big huge deal.
                  sigpic

Comment

it varies from situation to situation. we have some folks here who only play in a couple of threads and only gets on the net once a day so does a whole day's worth of posting in one sit down.

we have other people like Joe who get on once a week/month, etc and do all their answers at once

we have other threads that consist of little more than 3 people in a conversation so a lot of short posts to each other

if someone is, let's say, posting a dozen posts within minutes of each other and they're all just junk or a word or two, then we might have an issue of someone spamming to up thier post count

it's certainly something you can bring to a mod's attention however, in the grand scheme of things, unless it's a really blatant and 'in your face' example of someone spamming or annoying others in the thread, it's not something that's on the top of our 'to moderate' list.

we do want to make sure that folks aren't spamming or annoying others certainly...but there are often issues that could be more pressing such as someone with a rule violating sig or a personal arguement going on

So please, feel free to point it out....however since judging just what is and isn't a 'good' post is very subjective it's not something we're going to jump on heavily.

sigpic

Comment

Doesn't doing a whole bunch of pic in one post slow it down for those that have dia-up?

Comment

I've noticed that when I go to the list under "new posts", that when various episodes are being discussed, in the "thread" column we have the episode title and number and in the "forum" column we have "Episode #", but there's nothing to tell you what particular show it's talking about i.e. Smallville, Lost, BSG etc. Unlike Stargate episodes which I know ad nauseum, I don't always pay attention to the title of all the shows I watch.

Is there any way that something could be added in the forum column or even the thread column to distinguish the actual show being discussed?
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Mods,

I don't wanna interupt you thru PM so I post it here.

Could you update Key Episodes of Dr. Zelenka in Omnipedia?

Like:

The Brotherhood where he discovered a Wraith Dart,

The Siege where he helped tu build a nuke,

Duet which was great episode for him,

Trinity where he was right and nobody listen to him )

and maybe:

Letters From Pegasus with his great czech speach )

I'm sorry if this isn't right place for this kind of question.

BSG.CZ - Your Guide To Battlestar Galactica in Czech.

Comment

Originally posted by d3u5
                            Hi Mods,

I don't wanna interupt you thru PM so I post it here.

Could you update Key Episodes of Dr. Zelenka in Omnipedia?

I'm sorry if this isn't right place for this kind of question.
                            The omnipedia is Davids job - go here to submit your suggestions http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/contact.shtml
                            love Torri

Comment

Yes, the omnipedia is david's job.

As to the pics, we try to strike a balance. In some threads, there aren't too many, in some none...and other threads like the thunk threads is nothing BUT pictures most of the time.

HOwever, it's usually something folks want. Some people like posting pics in threads, and the folks that play in the thunk threads...well they want something to thunk over so there are a lot of pictures posted.

And i do agree with you, they do slow it down for dialup users. That's one reason that i personally rarely visit threads that i know are picture heavy. I'm on dialup and it's just too slow. But that is me personally. For other folks, it's not as much of an issue.

We try to strike a balance. such as letting folks post pictures once and and asking them not to quote them multiple times.

If you think there's a thread with too much quoting going on, we can take a look and address it if we agree that it's an issue. As to folks posting a lot of pictures, we sorta leave that up to the folks playing in the thread. If the majority is fine with it, then that's cool with us. As long as they're following the rules, only linking to pics on sites that allow it or if you have the 'owner's' permission, linking to appropriate pics - not ones that violate the ratings guidelines and the such, then we just let it slide.

Basically, if no one has an issue, then we don't have an issue

sigpic

Comment

Quasim, Skydiver: Thx for help.

BSG.CZ - Your Guide To Battlestar Galactica in Czech.

Comment

Working...
                                X