Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging from the response to the RPG forum, i think it made perfect sense to make everything available in one folder. Essentially, Proxy and Col. Sharp oversee the RPG, however, they don't have obvious modding capabilites like the regular Mods. As more threads sprang up, it was getting to be a task and half to search for all the RPG threads in the General Discussion folder. I lurk pretty regularly in the RPG threads, so it made sense to group everything together.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to start up your own RPG, if you wanted to. You'd have to make clear thread titles so things don't get too confused, or maybe ask the mods to group your RPG in a sub-folder.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
      or maybe ask the mods to group your RPG in a sub-folder.
      That wouldnt work as everyone would want their own subfolder
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

We could easilly accommodate a second RP gang without any need for extra folders.

Looking in the RP folder, one thing that has not been utilised at all is the nifty little mini-icons that can be attatched to any thread title to make it stand out from the rest. It's all just the piece of paper icon. If a second RP game was to start we could ask the current RPers to keep on using the piece of paper, and tell the new lot to use, say, the DHD icon. Easy then to distinguish at a glance.

There's probably other ways of doing it, but that's the one that comes to me.

Madeleine

Comment

Ugh, thinking of anothercompletly different RPG in our folder just gives me a headache. Though the icons would help keep it organized, if someone was in a hurry they would see 'The Control Room' thread and quickly click on it, reading all the new posts. Then after a minute relizing that they clicked the wrong thread and they have to go search for their thread...

Yeah, as you can probably tell I expained that like crap, so if you dont understand it, it's ok
          sigpic
          Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

I just hope folks aren't already being discouraged from trying to start any alternate RPGs...

The use of icons would probably help. And just think up different names for things. It doesn't HAVE to be called "Control Room" for the other game(s). Or tag all the threads with the RPG name. Bulky, but distinguishable.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 11 October 2005, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I just hope folks aren't already being discouraged from trying to start any alternate RPGs...
              Of coruse not! *hides dagger behind back*

(gtg for now guys, I'lll be on in an hour or two)
              sigpic
              Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

how about coming up with something in the title?

such as the existing rpg threads are labeled one way....well if there's a second one....i dunno, maybe P3X: Control room

or something like that.

if you uses that in addition to your own little icon, that should differentiate the two games
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

There is no official GateWorld RPG.

Do we have a group wanting to start a second RPG? If not, let's not clog the Ask the Mods thread with hypotheticals.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hello Darren,

Is there any chance that you would/could enable the feature that allows posters to create their own subheading/rank, instead of having "Jaffa Fodder," Death Glider Pilot," "Super-Soldier," etc.? I've used this feature on other vBulletin forums and I love it!

It would be great for things like the RPGers who could put their character name below their handle, or for people in groups like my own F.O.R.D. to put "Member of F.O.R.D." or "RSF Fan" below their names.

I know this would mean getting rid of the Goa'uld themed ranks we have now, but I cannot think of anyone who is really emotionally attached to them. We already have the post-count to identify how active a member is, so the ranks are not fulfilling a unique purpose. Maybe the traditional Goa'uld ranks could be the default for people who do not choose a subtitle.

I sincerely hope you consider this enabling this feature. It allows your posters a greater deal of self-expression, and a greater sense of community and "ownership" in this forum. In my mind, the more people are allowed to personalize and invest in their online experience, the more they will appreciate and respect it.

I hope I've been convincing, and thank you so much for this amazing community.

Sincerely,
                    Matthew Tyler

EDIT: I've noticed that you have allowed some GateWorld members (such as the Stargate: Horizon staff) to change their subtitle, so I am curious if there is some means of requesting a custom subtitle in place now. If so, how do request that my subtitle be changed to "Director of F.O.R.D." (without quotation marks)?
                    Last edited by Major Tyler; 11 October 2005, 08:58 PM.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka
                      Here's an image of what Hatusu's posts would look like (I really hope you don't mind, Hatusu): http://hometown.aol.de/SGEureka/screwy_signature.JPG

(I know I could just disable signatures but since there are so few users who provide me with this problem, it's easier to just put them on ignore. I've nicely asked a few users if they could put a space after the URL but they didn't bother so I don't bother anymore.)
                      I'm just scrolling through here while I'm listening to the news and you're talking about me! What have I done?

I tried to tighten the space, but it always goes back. Now you are saying that I should add a space? Where? Why? Half the time, I don't understand what you all are talking about in here anyway. You use tech speak instead of saying press this button, then that button...except for Q, of course.

So SGEureka, are you ignoring me?
                      Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                        EDIT: I've noticed that you have allowed some GateWorld members (such as the Stargate: Horizon staff) to change their subtitle, so I am curious if there is some means of requesting a custom subtitle in place now. If so, how do request that my subtitle be changed to "Director of F.O.R.D." (without quotation marks)?
                        Custom titles are disabled as they would have to be modded and I doubt they will be done on request as then everyone would request a custom title

You should know by now that the SGH people are 'special'
                        Originally posted by Hatusu
                        .except for Q, of course.
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          Custom titles are disabled as they would have to be modded and I doubt they will be done on request as then everyone would request a custom title
                          why wold they have to be modded, sorry if sound like a noob, this vb stuff keeps changing and its all very confusing.
                          If any1 here uses msn then they would know about the little message thing you can do now, next to ur username. I think that is what MT is meaning. Then again i could b wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                            why wold they have to be modded,
                            Because people would write stupid things
                            love Torri

Comment

Maybe, like in another vb forum I'm in, they can give you the possibility of a custom title only after a certain number of posts, just like they do here with the avatars.

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtrish
                                Maybe, like in another vb forum I'm in, they can give you the possibility of a custom title only after a certain number of posts, just like they do here with the avatars.
                                Who's to say Darren hasn't implemented that feature already? Maybe no one's reached the requisite mark yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X