This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susanne your signature seems to be fine
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I'm about to grab Susie for a siggie comission (or three depending on the sig needages atm) but before I do I wanted to know the stances on the particular rule in question regarding PG and how close I can get to that?

Namely: the art in the sigs i have in mind are of Warhammer online characters, known as Witch Elves, I was curiuous if I were to send a link to one of you mods first for clarification/review before snagging Susie for sig creation. would that be ok?

Comment

sure, send it to any of us and we can take a look and let you know if it's ok
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          sure, send it to any of us and we can take a look and let you know if it's ok
          Just sent it to Kat said she'd send it by you guys before giving a verdict. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I hope I didn't get her hooked on warhammer

Comment

I have what may seem like a dumb question and if it has already been asked forgive me, but what is the point of the green boxes under the post count? I like em, but i don't get it? lol!!

I just want to know.
            sigpic

Comment

That's your "reputation". You see the little scales at the top left of the post? If you click on that you can leave "rep" for the poster - a little note to express appreciation for their post. The more green squares the more rep you have. It doesn't affect anything to do with your rank/posts etc, it's just a fun way to tell others you've enjoyed their posts

Comment

I know that GW.net takes a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to illegal downloads, most obviously posts dealing with the how-to's and where-to finds. But shouldn't that logically extend also to mentions of software that can be used to download illegally even if the discussion is ancillary to the software?

I'm curious because this thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=71446), while a discussion of ratings and viewship using alternative methods which may be legal such as hulu.com and iTunes, explicity mentions a specific software.

I've reported the thread, but didn't see any comments or receive any private message concerning the status of the thread and if it was out of bounds.

My personal feeling is that specific names of products should be banned on the grounds that the intent is to discourage and clearly condone illegal downloads. A GW user looking to download illegally can't be stopped from doing so, however if the GW user isn't aware of a specific product, say 'NAPSTER' back in the day, the activity can obviously be discouraged. Publishing the name of a product, even in an ancillary conversation, encourages illegal downloads by communicating that the product does exist.

Even if the product is widely discussed in the media at large, shouldn't we avoid promoting it on principle?
                The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Side note: Has there been discussion of turning Ask the Moderators into a forum? If I ask a question and then can't or don't log on for an extended period of time, I have to go back looking for it. Not to mention that it would allow for threaded discussion of the question.

Comment

are you asking if we should ban words like torrent??

We will hold firm to our rules but we will not ban words with no rule violating intent.
                    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                      Side note: Has there been discussion of turning Ask the Moderators into a forum? If I ask a question and then can't or don't log on for an extended period of time, I have to go back looking for it. Not to mention that it would allow for threaded discussion of the question.
                      no, the best thing to do would be to go back to your own list of posts in *My Stats* and find your post in the Ask the Moderator* thread and click on it to go back to the post then go from there to see if it has been answered

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
                        That's your "reputation". You see the little scales at the top left of the post? If you click on that you can leave "rep" for the poster - a little note to express appreciation for their post. The more green squares the more rep you have. It doesn't affect anything to do with your rank/posts etc, it's just a fun way to tell others you've enjoyed their posts

Ok, now I get it. I've used it one or two times. I just didn't get the point, but thanks for the answer.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                          are you asking if we should ban words like torrent??

We will hold firm to our rules but we will not ban words with no rule violating intent.
                          No, what I'm asking is whether or not specifics concerning technology, including names, websites, etc, that has a high probability of facilitating illegal downloads is out of bounds. While the choice to illegally download something is ultimately up to the person, the discussion of technology that is out there (such as bittorrent) can be considered to promote it when that discussion reveals a means of downloading that was not previously known. In other words, if I create a new application that dramatically streamlines the location and acquisition of files, just mentioned the name of the application can contribute to illegal downloads as it can communicate its existence to someone without prior knowledge of it.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                            No, what I'm asking is whether or not specifics concerning technology, including names, websites, etc, that has a high probability of facilitating illegal downloads is out of bounds. While the choice to illegally download something is ultimately up to the person, the discussion of technology that is out there (such as bittorrent) can be considered to promote it when that discussion reveals a means of downloading that was not previously known. In other words, if I create a new application that dramatically streamlines the location and acquisition of files, just mentioned the name of the application can contribute to illegal downloads as it can communicate its existence to someone without prior knowledge of it.
                            if anyone is providing links or website names then report those posts....not the entire thread so we can look at it...reporting a thread is sometimes prohibitive if we have a bunch of other things going on and do not have time to find whatever it is you are reporting...but specific links to specific posts is a better way to show what you are talking about and allows to get to the heart of the issue a lot faster and determine if we need to snip, delete or pull an entire thread.

Comment

a question of personal importance - not so much forum importance: has anyone seen bagpuss around? - I need to talk to her rather urently

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shanthaia View Post
                                a question of personal importance - not so much forum importance: has anyone seen bagpuss around? - I need to talk to her rather urently
                                Real Life is taking some of her time, you are welcome to PM her or email her She does sign on but is not posting after doing her Mod duties

Comment

Working...
                                X