This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 343_Guilty_Spark View Post
    I been told it was "removed by accident." but i am not sure hopw a Bug can remove a profile. and the way the server was glitchin earlier it looked like a virus to me. any ideas tame?
    None whatsoever that I want to speculate on I would prefer folks give Greg a chance to review the issues and please be patient
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
      None whatsoever that I want to speculate on I would prefer folks give Greg a chance to review the issues and please be patient
      The exact same thing has happened to me (this is a new account i registered under the exact same name)

It's oddly reassuring to know i'm not the only one it happened to

I'm patiently awaiting an answer (i'm guessing it has to do with the new server)

If the old accounts are not recoverable, would it be possible to adjust post count or rep back to what it was before? (Privileges you know!)

As long as i know the problem is being looked at, i'm content to wait for now.
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

we had a bit of a server 'meltdown' last night. Greg knows about it and is working on things. He'll fix all he can, but there may be some stuff that's just plain lost.

We'll have to wait and see how it shakes out
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'll create a folder for older eps of SGU in the next few weeks. I do usually wait till the mid-season break, but the seven- or eight-episode mark would be fine.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

just so people know, those of you who have been reinstated, regardless of your postcount you wont get your custom avatar priveledge back for now, due to your registration dates. im not sure when you will however.
            2020 so bad I wanna go back to 2007. Hey guys.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by susanne View Post
              just so people know, those of you who have been reinstated, regardless of your postcount you wont get your custom avatar priveledge back for now, due to your registration dates. im not sure when you will however.
              We would ask that the members affected PM Skydiver or tamefarrar and we will see if we can't help you still

Susie please try PMing the IMG tags for the avatar to Sky or myself
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

There is only so much we can fix. VB isn't big on individual editabilty of accounts

The offer to help fix those caught in the server crash, it does only apply to long time members. Newbies that joined last week, for example, well you'll just have to start over and 'them's the breaks'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  There is only so much we can fix. VB isn't big on individual editabilty of accounts

The offer to help fix those caught in the server crash, it does only apply to long time members. Newbies that joined last week, for example, well you'll just have to start over and 'them's the breaks'
                  Out of curiosity, doesn't GW create regular back-ups of the database? If that's the case, can't Greg load a back-up onto a different server (even his own localhost would do), dump the info of the affected members, then insert the dump into the GW member database and run the post count rebuild script?
                  Signed,

Gregorius
                  Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                  Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

waits for greg to answer that one

and maybe he's going to do that.

sigpic

Comment

Another question for Greg: If the dump isn't possible, shouldn't it be possible to set the id_field of the new accounts of the old members to the value of the id_field their original account had?
                      Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                        Another question for Greg: If the dump isn't possible, shouldn't it be possible to set the id_field of the new accounts of the old members to the value of the id_field their original account had?
                        and that ladies and gentlemen has gone over a lot of heads. including the mods i shouldnt wonder
                        2020 so bad I wanna go back to 2007. Hey guys.
                        sigpic

Comment

and that ladies and gentlemen has gone over a lot of heads. including the mods i shouldnt wonder
                          As it should, as it's a question for Greg.
                          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

its the SQL and its Greg's domain so we let him handle the questions

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                              As it should, as it's a question for Greg.
                              Didn't go over my head

That's why i'm not too worried. the post count should be modifiable by the administrator (Greg i'm assuming) and if the old backups are still in place, a dump should be possible.

Just the fact that all my old posts are still there, just under a "guest" account leads me to believe that just the account information has been lost. VB is just doing the best it can with the lack of data it has (i.e. It sees that i've posted, but it doesn't find my account info, so it automatically deduces that it must be a "guest" post.)

Sigh... and there i was patiently awaiting the chance to add a custom avatar Guess it doesn't really matter, but it's kinda hard to PM Sky or Greg when i dont' have that privilege anymore
                              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

you're no longer a probie, so you should be able to pm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X