Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Moderators

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    i can't answer your questions on the news front. I can only presume that things will be up when they're up. I know that the boys are always working on things behind the scenes and that there are a couple of really cool interviews coming sometime in the relatively near future (and no, i won't hint who they're with)

    as to the contests. that's always an option, but there are a lot of logistics involved.

    first of all coming up with the idea, setting up the rules, submission process, etc. finding a judge or way to judge, all of which are time consuming but not horribly difficult

    prizes would be the hardest part. In a perfect world, we could give out tons of stuff...but there's this nifty thing called money and the fact that buying prizes and shipping them off could be a bit tough, especially when you take the international nature of the forum into consideration.

    I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that it would be a time consuming effort so not something taken on lightly
    Where in the World is George Hammond?


    sigpic

    Comment


      Hi I find this prob every time I want to start a thread and cause of it the last one I tried to start got deleted. When I chose to submit a thread, I get a message saying character has to be more than 1 when it is so I went back a page to try again cause that worked before but instead my incredible long message was deleted and I'll have to type t all again, can anything be done about this. It worked fine until 2 upgates ago.
      sigpic

      Comment


        Originally posted by Dr Weir
        Hi I find this prob every time I want to start a thread and cause of it the last one I tried to start got deleted. When I chose to submit a thread, I get a message saying character has to be more than 1 when it is so I went back a page to try again cause that worked before but instead my incredible long message was deleted and I'll have to type t all again, can anything be done about this. It worked fine until 2 upgates ago.
        its a comon problem, look back a few pages and yourll find the answer.
        when it comes up with the message, click back, then resubmit and itll be fine.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me




        Comment


          Originally posted by Skydiver
          i can't answer your questions on the news front. I can only presume that things will be up when they're up. I know that the boys are always working on things behind the scenes and that there are a couple of really cool interviews coming sometime in the relatively near future (and no, i won't hint who they're with)

          as to the contests. that's always an option, but there are a lot of logistics involved.

          first of all coming up with the idea, setting up the rules, submission process, etc. finding a judge or way to judge, all of which are time consuming but not horribly difficult

          prizes would be the hardest part. In a perfect world, we could give out tons of stuff...but there's this nifty thing called money and the fact that buying prizes and shipping them off could be a bit tough, especially when you take the international nature of the forum into consideration.

          I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that it would be a time consuming effort so not something taken on lightly
          on the prize front i was thinking of just novelty forum things, e.g. special titles like furling of the month or a custom avatar thats not avalable ( if the user is below 1801 posts).
          also competitions IMO would really give me a reason to become more active in Gw, not that im not but if i was just a casual member it could be a great incentive for new members.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me




          Comment


            Someone has started YET ANOTHER Furlings thread which should probably be merged with the existing Ultimate Furlings thread.

            Also this thread contains a spoiler in the subject line AND is redundant. A link has already been provided to the appropriate (and spoiler warned) topic.

            Are you SURE this "report post" problem is a glitch on VB's end? I find it amazing that something as big as this can not only get screwed up but can STAY screwed up for so long...
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 10 December 2005, 08:57 PM.

            Comment


              Apparently I'm not the only one discovering a problem with "report post" (I've never had occasion to use it before, so I don't know how long it's been here). It just timed out on me three times in a row (I keep trying to submit for this one post).

              In my experience, timeouts, like the one I had three times in a row with that one page, usually happen when there's an infinite loop somewhere somewhere in the code. More importantly, I've been having sporadic timeout issues with this one site all day - which also supports the "infinite loop" theory, if it's causing the servers to overload.

              It just seems odd to me that this would be caused by VB, or any compiler, as opposed to being caused by a logic error in the code. Unless that one page has a fundamentally different way of working than every other submission page on the website...

              (ETA: Although, in retrospect, it's probably best if the report I sent didn't go through. I reported somebody on suspicion of being a troll, based on his behavior in two threads I'd seen. It now appears that, while the person has been spamming with repeated one-line posts, that his posts in those two particular threads were uncommonly troll-like, and his posts in most the other 60 threads were not particularly troll-like at all. My bad.)
              Last edited by Katerine; 10 December 2005, 09:31 PM.

              Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Someone has started YET ANOTHER Furlings thread which should probably be merged with the existing Ultimate Furlings thread.

                Also this thread contains a spoiler in the subject line AND is redundant. A link has already been provided to the appropriate (and spoiler warned) topic.
                These have been dealt with.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

                Comment


                  There is a poster that's constantly posting 2 posts (or more) in a row for no good reason. His name is RA the sun god and he's basically in every GenGateDiscussion thread.

                  I hope this is the right place to put this.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by PG15
                    There is a poster that's constantly posting 2 posts (or more) in a row for no good reason. His name is RA the sun god and he's basically in every GenGateDiscussion thread.

                    I hope this is the right place to put this.
                    Noticed that too. He/she posts multiple times in a row, often to add on to what he/she said in the last post.

                    PG15, you may have wanted to PM a mod about this rather than publicly posting here, but you did put your concern in the right spot, as the Mods will see it here in this thread.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                      Noticed that too. He/she posts multiple times in a row, often to add on to what he/she said in the last post.

                      PG15, you may have wanted to PM a mod about this rather than publicly posting here, but you did put your concern in the right spot, as the Mods will see it here in this thread.
                      I've gone and merged posts that are directly-related.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by immhotep
                        also is gw goig to get any news soon, i know you have baby thing to deal with but what about david, is he planning anything to put up?
                        I was actually about to do a very, very very big news story but we realized that the information behind it had changed and would now be incorrect. Plus, my goose may have been cooked.

                        Aside from the Omnipedia anything, and I mean anything, that I do must go through Darren in order to get to the site. This is not because he doesn't trust me but is mainly out of technical issues. Anything I do to the site would be erased when he went and did something. Don't ask me why.

                        Until a content management system is established for the entire site I won't be doing anything to create something on the site on an immediate turn-around level. And a CMS could easily take a year to construct -- and that's when Darren decides on one he wants.

                        Until then, the baby is going to make things both interesting and difficult on all the staff. It may be very apparent in the weeks and months ahead, like it is now, or Darren will have time to get back into the thick of things. There is no way to know. I can tell you that my work is already suffering as a result (and go fig, I'm now on break), but like it or not the baby is the most important thing in his life, and there's nothing anyone can do about that. Nor should they.

                        Comment


                          Thanks to everyone for your patience with the lack of updates on the main site this last week. The good news is that we got a beautiful baby boy out of it, which I'll post about in another thread.

                          I'm catching up on news and e-mail now. We have a number of contests for which we hope to have deals nailed down very soon, so we may even run a few at the same time. No plans for contests with forum-related prizes like custom avatars, but that's a good idea! Send all such good ideas to our new forum manager, Skydiver, whose job it is to brainstorm things like that.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

                          Comment


                            thanks for the update darren, we are were all prepared to have patence, and all we hope is that you enjoy your new fathering duties, which i hope you are.
                            Will be Glad to have you around again none the less. congrat on the baby.
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me




                            Comment


                              Originally posted by immhotep
                              Darren,
                              do you have any plan in the making to spice things up on Gw? not changing the look just make it more fun. for Example some competitions, with forum related prizes. IMO gw could be alot more fun than it already is and i think it could make gw alot better, any plans for this type of thing in the future.
                              also is gw goig to get any news soon, i know you have baby thing to deal with but what about david, is he planning anything to put up?

                              immhotep
                              Now I know I shouldnt post in here if I don't have a question but when has that stopped me

                              It came to me, and was helped by a thread called it, that we neecd some kind of GateWorld Awards, awarding winners with something, David closed a thread called this and I was wondering if it was ever going to happen, so I guess I do have a question and now Im confused and off to watch The Simpsons

                              Comment


                                Thread redundancy:

                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21196
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21198

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X