This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    What would people think about merging all the Stargate cast/crew Twitter threads into one big "Stargate Twitters" thread?
    Ditto that it'd be confusing, but anything to group them together would work.
    The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Given that there's the wikipedia and stargate.wikia.com, what's the point of the Omnipedia?
      The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
        Given that there's the wikipedia and stargate.wikia.com, what's the point of the Omnipedia?
        Um ... we like us?

Given that there is Yahoo, what is the point of Google?
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          Is GW's software set up or could be set up to have multiple poll questions in one thread? Thanks, I had some ideas for a thread but would only work with a multiple question poll.

The best we can offer is a single question with multiple answers/votes allowed.

Madeleine

Comment

Can you possibly move this thread to Stargate Atlantis main forum page please?
            As its relevant to more than just the 1 episode. Thanx

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=56931
            sigpic

Comment

Can we please get the negs back, before people start spamming threads with their disapprovement of posts?

I know GW wants to be happy-go-lucky, but taking away the only thing capable of non-spamming commenting is asking trouble.

Also, what use is a rep system is people can't lose rep points? It makes the whole system pointless and might as well be removed.
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
                Can you possibly move this thread to Stargate Atlantis main forum page please?
                As its relevant to more than just the 1 episode. Thanx

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=56931
                things like this are just what the report post feature is there for. Please report a post in the thread, making your request, and if the mods deem it appropriate, they'll take action

thanks
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                  Can we please get the negs back, before people start spamming threads with their disapprovement of posts?

I know GW wants to be happy-go-lucky, but taking away the only thing capable of non-spamming commenting is asking trouble.

Also, what use is a rep system is people can't lose rep points? It makes the whole system pointless and might as well be removed.
                  I'm not seeing that happen in the near future.

If, for example, 'ed' posts 'i simply cannot stand broccoli' and 5 people respond with 'dude, we love it' it engenders a bit more discussion than 'omg, he hates broccoli, red that deviant into submission!!!!!!'

The rep system was being abused. If two posters had a personal issue, more than once one of them would red that person, and then get her 10 bestest and dearest friends to do the same, creating a bullying atmosphere where those that weren't expressing the 'right' opinion were often 'picked on' to make them go away.

Thing is, we don't read minds, we may 'know' that this goes on, but could not prove it. we do not and have not and will not moderate the rep system beyond making sure that comments left were in accordance with the rules. Thus people used this to bully others. they abuse it, they lose it.

Taking it away all together would have effectively punished the 90% of the forum that was behaving because of a handful of immature posters

If you don't like someone's post, discuss it. And if that person isn't open to discussion (note i mean discussion, not 'dude, you're a freak! you're wrong!!!) then simply ignore their post and move on.

sigpic

Comment

Mods - Poll request - I put up a new thread in Lost about Matthew Perry joining Lost. Could you poll it please.

Thank you.
                    ---------------------
                    sigpic
                    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                      Mods - Poll request - I put up a new thread in Lost about Matthew Perry joining Lost. Could you poll it please.

Thank you.
                      report a post in the thread, laying out the options you want and we'll consider it.

This thread is for questions about the running of the forum, not a one stop 'i wanna' please.

A reported post gives us a direct link to the thread in question so we don't have to go searching and looking.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I thought this was the place to request a poll. It is titled "Ask the Moderators" but given the tenor of your comments I judge I misunderstood the intent of the thread. I looked for the little check box to create a poll when creating the thread but did not see it (per the FAQs). I also scanned the other thread titles quickly in Forum announcements and help and did not see a more suitable place to make the request based on the thread titles I did see.

I did request a poll in the first post in the thread as well. I would have been delighted to do the work myself were I able.

The options - it is a very simple 3 option poll, are listed in the first post.

I might add I did request politely above, and with a thank you, not "a wanna" which to me implies a more childish demand, which I believe my request neither intends or implies.

Respectfully.
                        ---------------------
                        sigpic
                        Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

We must have a Mastadge avatar! I mean come on, what screams Stargate the movie more then a Mastadge?

The situation must be remedied! I mean, we already have every thing else from the Movie in an avatar. Why not the majestic, mystic, magnificent, manly Mastadge?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post

If you've only just noticed, many many months after they went, that they're gone, perhaps the loss of them hasn't been that big a deal.

We don't agree that the system is pointless or that it might as well be removed. It gives pleasure to many people, it gives pain to no one that I know of, and if you don't like it feel free to ignore it all.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                              Sorry, I thought this was the place to request a poll. It is titled "Ask the Moderators" but given the tenor of your comments I judge I misunderstood the intent of the thread. I looked for the little check box to create a poll when creating the thread but did not see it (per the FAQs). I also scanned the other thread titles quickly in Forum announcements and help and did not see a more suitable place to make the request based on the thread titles I did see.

I did request a poll in the first post in the thread as well. I would have been delighted to do the work myself were I able.

The options - it is a very simple 3 option poll, are listed in the first post.

I might add I did request politely above, and with a thank you, not "a wanna" which to me implies a more childish demand, which I believe my request neither intends or implies.

Respectfully.
                              Esp

users are not allowed to create polls outside of the Fun and Games folder. As to this thread, I know it can be missed but the goal of this thread is for more specific forum related questions, not requests for action.

Posting in here doesn't guarantee anyone will see it in a timely manner. Posting in the thread only (the one you want the poll in) is rather futile because unless a mod happens to check out your thread (i should look up the stats some day on how many new threads get created on a daily basis, it's a lot) we'll never see it.

You put the request in here, you have to wait for a mod to see it, then, in your case, go to the lost folder, find your thread and make the poll. Something that can take a while. Whereas if you start the thread, then report the post with your poll request all the mods get an e-mail, notifying them that something needs to be done. And responding to reported posts is one of the first things that the mods do when they log onto the forum.

We have a lot of people that bog this thread down with requests for action and it just takes longer for us to go through all the posts, some of which can be very time-consuming issues, to get to something as simple as a poll.

Please make a request with the report post feature. Requests for things like this made in this thread are a low priority. Reported posts get responded to first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine View Post
                                If you've only just noticed, many many months after they went, that they're gone, perhaps the loss of them hasn't been that big a deal.
                                I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been gone for a few months. I notice it now since I've finally have some free time, and decide to spend that scarce commodity on GW.

Different question: Will there ever be a light theme for GW that doesn't have that many images to load, and will there ever be a widescreen GW theme?
                                Signed,

Gregorius
                                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                                X