Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if an individual finds a username offensive, that user could have to change it. So Shipper, get to changing. Of course I'm kidding

Can we also ban people that aren't strong enough to deal with offensive ideas and think Darren should take away the freedom he so generously gave us all equally so that a few people get elevated above the others? I personally find their ideas offensive.
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The problem lies in that what is offensive to some is not offensive to others. When we start judging posts/threads that don't break forum rules by different standards that when we start getting in to censorship.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        The problem lies in that what is offensive to some is not offensive to others. When we start judging posts/threads that don't break forum rules by different standards that when we start getting in to censorship.
        Speaking seriously though, to take Lissa's example, "Is Sheppard whipped?" would be a damn sight more acceptable to the majority than "Sheppard is whipped", no?

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
          Speaking seriously though, to take Lissa's example, "Is Sheppard whipped?" would be a damn sight more acceptable to the majority than "Sheppard is whipped", no?
          It might be if it was any different However, the title in question IS written AS a question hence the numerous *???* at the end of it

As Shippahoy has just said one member's offensive is not another's. However, you do have the option of either actually reading the first post and deciding whether or not the thread is something you want to be part of. If not ...then scroll past it.

Unfortuantely there are going to be threads AND posts that you will not agree with and that you will find offensive for any and all reasons. That is why we enforce the guidelines. THAT is the leveler for the playing field
          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
            It might be if it was any different However, the title in question IS written AS a question hence the numerous *???* at the end of it
            I didn't know that, though. IAW the rest of what you said, yeah.

Comment

There should be an option to make invisible threads with the word "kill" in the title.
              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                and a option to ignore certain mods
                nope being Omnipotent has its perks and as we always say if you have a problem with one Moderator please ask another Mod to look into the issue
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                  There should be an option to make invisible threads with the word "kill" in the title.
                  This might be better served if stated as a *Suggestion* in the suggestion box

and I willjust re-state that no one is MAKING anyone read any of these threads. If you choose to do so that is a CHOICE YOU MADE

We will moderate what is violating Forum Guidelines NOT things just because they annoy anyone because they don't agree with the sentiment

Comment

I thought you guys were gonna temporarily do away with all the re-direct markers since they're taking up a lot of space. Were people screaming too much about their missing threads or is it a matter of playing catch-up?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      I thought you guys were gonna temporarily do away with all the re-direct markers since they're taking up a lot of space. Were people screaming too much about their missing threads or is it a matter of playing catch-up?
                      If the re-directs are within the same Folder AND taking up more than 1 page (as has been the case recently) then yes we are not leaving them

However, if the thread is being moved to an entirely different folder OR it is only one or two redirects (as has been the case today) we are leaving them

With the large number of re-directs it has been kindof crazy and if they start piling up and taking the place of actual threads on the first page we will probaly remove them again ...just to keep things moving for all discussions as well as keeping the first page tidy

Comment

'offensive' is in the eye of the beholder.

to some, sam and jack ship is offensive. to others jack/daniel slash.

we cannot and will not moderate to everyone's sensitivities.

While i acknowledge that there are certainly some threads that are not paletable to all - i know there are some that i simply cannot stand - unles we want to descend into total censorship folks are gonna have to accept that, just like out in the 'real world' you're gonna be exposed to things you don't like.

That's life.

If you never want to read anything that you might feel offensive, then you m ight be more at home on a segregated list, such as one for claudia fans only, one for ship fans only, one for slash fans only, etc, etc, etc.

As to the redirects, if the threads are being merged across folders - such as a thread going from general to fanfic, we'll leave the redirect. It's the massive within the folder mergings that we're not redirecting
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                          And if an individual finds a username offensive, that user could have to change it. So Shipper, get to changing. Of course I'm kidding

Can we also ban people that aren't strong enough to deal with offensive ideas and think Darren should take away the freedom he so generously gave us all equally so that a few people get elevated above the others? I personally find their ideas offensive.
                          no, we cant' and we won't

It woudl behoove folks to learn a little tolerance.

stop getting offended at the drop of a hat and simply move on with it.

and if someone wants to take offense at every little word, that's their issue, not yours. you can only take care of yourself.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            no, we cant' and we won't

It woudl behoove folks to learn a little tolerance.

stop getting offended at the drop of a hat and simply move on with it.

and if someone wants to take offense at every little word, that's their issue, not yours. you can only take care of yourself.
                            I did not mean to seriously imply that such people actually be banned, but rather to show the logical followthrough of the ideas proposed.

I suppose you could consider it off-topic and just send it on its merry way into oblivion.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i do think we need to get this thread back on topic though

sigpic

Comment

Alrighty Folks

Lets get this thread BACK to the Topic at hand if you don't mind

Questions for the Moderators regarding the Forum SYSTEM, if you have any commentary or would like to voice a personal complaint please do so in PM

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X