This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CKO
    now why didnt i think of that... yea now that i think of it... ya it would have.
    well if you would have thought of it...they would give YOU the magic beans....

It is always the best recourse to use the Report Post function if you would like to get the best and fastest response... It goes out to all of the Mods and reaches out with those three lovely words...*You've got mail*
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
      well if you would have thought of it...they would give YOU the magic beans....

It is always the best recourse to use the Report Post function if you would like to get the best and fastest response... It goes out to all of the Mods and reaches out with those three lovely words...*You've got mail*
      Some folks may be discouraged from using the Report Post function since the following message appears under the text box.

Note: This is only to be used to report spam, vulgar messages, fighting or harassment, or other violations of the forum rules.

Comment

I have to say, that message DID give me some initial hesitation. I got over it, but I do sometimes still feel as if I'm abusing the feature by reporting stuff that needs merging or moving or whatever. I don't suppose there's any way to change that text, is there? I assume it's standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          I have to say, that message DID give me some initial hesitation. I got over it, but I do sometimes still feel as if I'm abusing the feature by reporting stuff that needs merging or moving or whatever. I don't suppose there's any way to change that text, is there? I assume it's standard.
          I think the wording of the message simply comes with the vBulletin software. I don't know if it can be changed. Definitely a question for Greg.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
            Some folks may be discouraged from using the Report Post function since the following message appears under the text box.
            well like Major Tyler says we can ask Greg if the wording can be changed...but if we are telling you that we WANT you to use it and we are the only ones getting the emails...I think you are safe

But I do understand the hesitation if you hadn't seen our messages in here...which is why we give wonderful little FYI's
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Yeah, but even knowing that you guys had said that's what Report Post is for, those words under the actual report box still come across as intimidating and I know tat initially, even with you guys saying all the "use it for this" stuff, I still hesitated and sometimes didn't report posts. I just need to keep reminding myself I'm NOT breaking the law and lighting is NOT gonna strike me down.

At least not for that.

Comment

well like Major Tyler says we can ask Greg if the wording can be changed...but if we are telling you that we WANT you to use it and we are the only ones getting the emails...I think you are safe

But I do understand the hesitation if you hadn't seen our messages in here...which is why we give wonderful little FYI's
                I realize that's how you folks want it.

I have also heard the same policy from virtually every moderator, so I was comfortable enough using it for the purpose of reporting duplicate threads, despite the text notice, because I knew you folks were all on the same page.

However, when you have a text notice that explicitly contradicts what you are stating in your FYIs, members who read that FYI may think, "Is that just TameFarrar telling me that? Will another moderator read my Report Post and think I wasn't following the explicit instructions?"

I think we have all had experiences in modern society where we were told different things by different sources, so people are naturally wary of such contradictations.

Comment

I agree with what others are saying. The one time I reported a post using a report feature, I mitigated it with about six different apologies. I tend to PM the mods instead.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    I agree with what others are saying. The one time I reported a post using a report feature, I mitigated it with about six different apologies. I tend to PM the mods instead.
                    It's understandable to feel that way when all references to the feature have a negative connotation.

Originally posted by Gateworld FAQ
                    How do I report an inappropriate post to the mods?

If you see a post that you believe violates the forum rules, click on the red and white warning icon in the top-right corner of that post. Include a personal message to the moderators explaining why you are reporting the post, and click "Send Report." The mods will examine the post and decide if action needs to be taken.
                    By the way...to whoever addressed those duplicate threads I reported...thank you.

I estimate that at least 17% of that one folder was duplicate threads. It's much easier to navigate now.
                    Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 11 April 2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Well I can understand all of your *Text-Stress* on the Report Post Feature. BUT every Single Moderator has at one point said those very words here
                      AND The very fact that we have posted it here means it does apply to all of us. We don't make to many individual decisions *For the Group* If we are stating something here as *WE the Mods* would like you to do this... then you are safe in taking our word for it I mean all of the other Mods do read things here and they would say something and beat me senseless and the information would be removed if it was untrue...

you won't be blamed if I am wrong about something btw... I will... Skydiver has that zat of hers

Comment

Clanger and her spoon, Sky and her Zat, you and your Spork.... whoever said (ex) mods were a violent bunch!?!

To make this legitimate... do you still use the spork? And what weapons do the other mods wield?
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Skydiver has that zat of hers

and if that fails then then and

and you'll really hate if if i have to resort to
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

LOL Yes I have my spork...and I stole that from Ship Mum... so count thieving as well

All of the others??? well I suspect they will tell you they use their *Superior Intellect* as their weapon of choice.... Skydiver just zats 'em for that

see above post and feel the love

Comment

On the report post text, i have to admit it's intimidating. It took me almost a year on GW to dare using the report feature for the first time, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                                the text in the report button has been updated it says

Note: This is to be used to report spam, vulgar messages, fighting or harassment, or other violations of the forum rules. (Also use this feature to notify the moderators of threads you believe need to be closed, merged, or otherwise edited.)
                                Hows THAT for some fast service

Now hopefully all will no longer be intimidated ALL HAIL the Behind the Scenes System Lords

Comment

Working...
                                X