X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Wouldn't that be considered a spoiler?
    No more so than having a "General Landry Appreciation Thread" or a "Cameron Mitchell Thunk Thread." Character names (along with titles) are almost impossible to suppress without having a jarring and pervasive spoiler policy, so pervasive as to halt all discussion.

In my opinion, at least.

Would simply removing the rank and just having the name be an acceptable compromise?
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Perhaps drop the rank and warn "spoilers for all aired eps"?
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
        No more so than having a "General Landry Appreciation Thread" or a "Cameron Mitchell Thunk Thread." Character names (along with titles) are almost impossible to suppress without having a jarring and pervasive spoiler policy, so pervasive as to halt all discussion.

In my opinion, at least.

Would simply removing the rank and just having the name be an acceptable compromise?
        Sure... No problems. You're the bosses here.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

This may seem like a stupid question but ...

Darren,
          Do you think Gateworld will become, should become, will need to become a board you'll have to pay for? There seems to be so many problems of late, or at least that I never noticed before, with server overload etc. If you had more money to work with, I don't even know how it works but I saw you say 'budget' in your Blog, so if you had more money could Gateworld run smoother. Even if you just had half the members fork over $5 a year you'd have more than you do now. 'You' could fork over $5 and get all the privileges 'you'd' if you had 1000+ posts.

Another board I'm on, that doesn't even have half as many members as you have, decided to go pay as you go and a good number of people signed up just to pay the organization for their time and the privileges it got them.

Seriously, maybe you should think about it. I've got $5 I can give you.

Another idea ... Maybe you could have a little something on Gateworld's main page that tells people when there's forum problems so we'll know and stop waiting for a page that's not going to load ...

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
          It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Noticing the Member:Guest ratio on the forum home page, it seems like there are twice as many guests as members. I thought we were temporarily restricting guests? Or maybe that idea was scrapped right away?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
              This may seem like a stupid question but ...

Darren,
              Do you think Gateworld will become, should become, will need to become a board you'll have to pay for? There seems to be so many problems of late, or at least that I never noticed before, with server overload etc. If you had more money to work with, I don't even know how it works but I saw you say 'budget' in your Blog, so if you had more money could Gateworld run smoother. Even if you just had half the members fork over $5 a year you'd have more than you do now. 'You' could fork over $5 and get all the privileges 'you'd' if you had 1000+ posts.

Another board I'm on, that doesn't even have half as many members as you have, decided to go pay as you go and a good number of people signed up just to pay the organization for their time and the privileges it got them.

Seriously, maybe you should think about it. I've got $5 I can give you.

Another idea ... Maybe you could have a little something on Gateworld's main page that tells people when there's forum problems so we'll know and stop waiting for a page that's not going to load ...

Adrianne
              I'd be more than happy to give GW €5 or maybe more, i think thats more in US dollar
              The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                Noticing the Member:Guest ratio on the forum home page, it seems like there are twice as many guests as members. I thought we were temporarily restricting guests? Or maybe that idea was scrapped right away?
                the guest access has been restored. it was only a temp fix

now, given the influx of traffic the site experienced last week, it might be implemented again this fri/sat if we have traffic issues
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

offering to pay is a nice gesture, and i'm not saying that darren will never do it, but in the past his opinion has always been to keep GW free and open. Just as his personal preference is to allow whomever that wants to lurk to come and lurk thier little hearts out, without having to sign in or register.

last week's little issue was a temp thing and a work around.

If darren happens to change his mind, he'll be the first to speak up

It is very kind of folks to offer though, and i'm sure he apprecaites it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    offering to pay is a nice gesture, and i'm not saying that darren will never do it, but in the past his opinion has always been to keep GW free and open. Just as his personal preference is to allow whomever that wants to lurk to come and lurk thier little hearts out, without having to sign in or register.

last week's little issue was a temp thing and a work around.

If darren happens to change his mind, he'll be the first to speak up

It is very kind of folks to offer though, and i'm sure he apprecaites it
                    Okay well I'm experiencing problems now with lag and things not loading at all ... Which is why I brought it up.

And this other board I speak of ... You pay if you want. You don't have to to join though. You pay and get bonus things that those that 'don't payers' don't get ... Like if you pay you don't get banners and you get an avatar -- incredible for this other board!

I'm not saying making this board pay only because I know a lot of people won't want to pay.

The worse, I think, you'll come across is "Why do you have x number of posts and a special avatar?" "I pay." " Oo he's a payer. EXCUSE ME! I'm too cheap to pay!" (or my parents won't pay)

Adrianne
                    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

The guest access restriction was lifted after the weekend. We may need to temporarily reinstate it again before our new server environment is up and ready (hopefully next month), especially if traffic goes as bonkers as it probably will with the season finale airing this week.

What we've been experiencing are, quite simply, growing pains. We implement a new hosting / database strategy, the forum kicks #ss for several more months, and we're in need of another upgrade. Upgrades and computers ... 'tis the way of things.

Fortunately, thanks to the ads you all put up with and the DVD sets you buy, GateWorld is not in financial straights. I hope and plan to never need to take donations. It's not a matter of finding the money to pay for what we need, it's a matter of finding the hardware.

We've pushed our current set-up to the limit, and then some (like running a cargo ship's engines at 125% capacity). The new set-up that Greg is planning for April will come with an additional server ... and the doubling of our monthly costs. To help off-set this, I am again strongly considering a paid forum membership tier.

As those of you know who have been around long enough to remember the last time we talked about this, it would change nothing for non-paying members. The forum will never be pay-only. What it would offer is a chance to get some bonus forum goodies (custom avatars, more PM space, etc.) and an ad-free forum experience in exchange for as low a monthly cost as we can make work.

Right now the challenges are: 1) coming up with a list of goodies to make it "worth it" to subscribe; and 2) setting a cost that doesn't hurt GW more than it helps. Our most active members generate thousands of ad impressions per day all by themselves, and giving them an ad-free forum will reduce what we get from advertising.

Stay tuned!
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Darren you rock.
                        Thanks for replying so quickly and giving us (me) the scoop. Much appreciated!

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Why was the thread "All you ever wanted to know about Enlightenment and Ascension Theory" moved to General Discussion? The topic is firmly grounded as a scientifically grounded process in Stargate. The point of the topic was not to discuss the philosophy of enlightenment, as much as it was to describe the "HOW" it might be possible within the realm of our limited science.

As I said in one of the post, the 'Science and Tech' forum is for speculating about fictional sciences and tech in the the Stargate universe, and ascension clearly falls under a 'fictional science' in the Stargate universe. If it is decided that I have a point, I would be grateful if the thread is returned to the Science and Tech Forum. Thank you...

edit: Also... why was the title changed? I didn't see how it provided any spoilers for 'Crusade'. I've seen that episode, and it didn't have a whole lot to do with ascension. It did mention the whole emmaculate conception thing... but again not really anything to do with ascension. ???

Seastallion
                          Last edited by Seastallion; 08 March 2006, 10:06 AM.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                            Right now the challenges are: 1) coming up with a list of goodies to make it "worth it" to subscribe; and 2) setting a cost that doesn't hurt GW more than it helps. Our most active members generate thousands of ad impressions per day all by themselves, and giving them an ad-free forum will reduce what we get from advertising.

Stay tuned!
                            I don't know how much ads bring in, but an ad free environment would be one of my top reasons for paying. Also, maybe give people a choice of items to add. I don't PM alot so I wouldn't pay for anything extra, not sure if I'd pay for a custom avatar, but I would pay a few bucks to get rid of/change that stupid super soldier designation under my name. 2 other things I would like/possibly pay for - ability to see older reps received, and reps given to others.

Maybe you should start a thread or poll to see what are the most popular or what amount people would be willing to pay.
                            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                              Why was the thread "All you ever wanted to know about Enlightenment and Ascension Theory" moved to General Discussion? The topic is firmly grounded as a scientifically grounded process in Stargate. The point of the topic was not to discuss the philosophy of enlightenment, as much as it was to describe the "HOW" it might be possible within the realm of our limited science.

As I said in one of the post, the 'Science and Tech' forum is for speculating about fictional sciences and tech in the the Stargate universe, and ascension clearly falls under a 'fictional science' in the Stargate universe. If it is decided that I have a point, I would be grateful if the thread is returned to the Science and Tech Forum. Thank you...

edit: Also... why was the title changed? I didn't see how it provided any spoilers for 'Crusade'. I've seen that episode, and it didn't have a whole lot to do with ascension. It did mention the whole emmaculate conception thing... but again not really anything to do with ascension. ???

Seastallion
                              the spoilers warning was about the mention of a direct plot point of crusade in one of the posts

as to moving the thread, my rationale is, there is, to the best of our knowledge, no machine or technology that allows one to ascend, rather it is a choice presented to a person and that person has to be willing to change thier physical state and release their burdens

there's no technology or magic button to make this happen, it is a decision

because of that i moved it into general discussion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                the spoilers warning was about the mention of a direct plot point of crusade in one of the posts

as to moving the thread, my rationale is, there is, to the best of our knowledge, no machine or technology that allows one to ascend, rather it is a choice presented to a person and that person has to be willing to change thier physical state and release their burdens

there's no technology or magic button to make this happen, it is a decision

because of that i moved it into general discussion
                                I agree.

If the thread was titled "Artificial/Technological Means of Ascension" it might be different, but there is no machine that can provide philosophical and personal enlightenment.
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X