This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks:
    I just want to know if crossover tales are allowed or do the fanfic stories have to be pure Stargate either SGC/ SG-1 or Atlantis based. I have been working on a tale that involve two of Sci-Fi channel's Friday line-up, but only one of the backgrounds is Stargate relates and it is not the Atlantis Expedition.
    KSTreadhead

Comment

Originally posted by KSTreadhead
      Folks:
      I just want to know if crossover tales are allowed or do the fanfic stories have to be pure Stargate either SGC/ SG-1 or Atlantis based. I have been working on a tale that involve two of Sci-Fi channel's Friday line-up, but only one of the backgrounds is Stargate relates and it is not the Atlantis Expedition.
      KSTreadhead
      I'm curious myself if Gateworld is cool with crossover fics. There are tons on ff.net, of varying quality.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by KSTreadhead
        Folks:
        KSTreadhead
        we accept crossover fic, just make sure they fit the other criteria, R or less and label them appropriately (tell folks what they're crossing over with)

I believe there is a box you can check on the submission form for crossovers
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          did you do the word thing 'save as' and choose text?

if so and it is a text file, try contacting me via e-mail and i'll try. there may be an error with the uploader that we haven't discovered yet
          I uploaded my 1st fanfic 2 days ago & had no problem getting my document to do the 'save as plain text'...

But.... I did see after it was uploaded that the 'underline' function described in the upload steps didn't work on my chapter titles... I did what the rule said to do to get it to underline. (I tried to keep it in basic formatting when I wrote it, keeping in mind different sites have different formatting rules.) But*groans* worse yet... the uploader apparently dropped the letter 'e' off the word fiancé... I didn't realize it had done that until someone told me I'd misspelled the word & I knew I (& my beta) had been careful to do the right spelling & accent mark & sure 'nuff what's on GW now has 'fianc' instead of 'fiancé.' I guess I should have figured it wouldn't have accepted the letter with an accent mark, but being a newbie ficwriter & uploader I guess I assumed too much on that one.

*glares around VR room*

*giggles*

Yes..... for the record I *do* know how to spell fiancé!
          Edited to add: Thanks for the help Skydiver. I made the e a regular e, as well as the c in facade & took your advice on the chapter caps thing. It's uploaded again & fixed now. ((((Skydiver)))
          Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 16 April 2005, 01:44 PM.
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

shimmering

if you want to pm me or mail [email protected] with the title and author of the fic, i can delete it so you can re-upload it.

i'm afraid that there's no way to edit existing pages, but i can make them go away.

if the underlining doesn't work and you want to use it to accent a word, maybe using ALL CAPS could be a way to accomplish the same thing in a way that text can handle

sigpic

Comment

Another little question about the uploader.
              Is there a specific way of making the special formatting work? What I mean is, are there definate instances where the uploader will get confused?

I've just uploaded a fic, and I can sort of see why in 2 instances the italics didn't work - had brackets within the italics, but the one at the beginning has thrown me. Does the uploader notice lack of punctuation?

Not a big deal, but I'd quite like to know before I attempt something bigger.

Comment

can anyone give me a step by step on how to upload a fic?
                Save us from danger, save us from evil
                Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy
                  can anyone give me a step by step on how to upload a fic?
                  To GW specifically, or in general?

Comment

to gateworld

Comment

to gateworld
                      1. Make sure it's been run by a beta reader.
                      2. Put the story in a plain text file.
                      3. Go to: http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/upload01.shtml and follow the directions.

I'm on AIM (my1cutie2) and MSN IM ([email protected]) if you want to contact me. I'm not sure I can get to all the steps without actually submitting something.

Comment

hey, thanks . now it makes sense. now i just have to finish my story.

o, and can people comment on them?

Comment

hey, thanks . now it makes sense. now i just have to finish my story.

o, and can people comment on them?
                          I have received feedback for my stories, usually by email.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            if you want to archive it at gateworld, you can't post a link, but you can upload the whole fic here. the posting interface takes text documents and uploads quite easily

heliopolis is the exact same way

THe posting guidelines are simple, R or less, Gen or Het

If your fic doesn't fit that, then there are other places to archive it, such as Area 52, which is the biggest slash archive around.
                            Could someone show me to Area 52 please?
                            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Live life for what you have and those you love.

Comment

Area 52

pretty much the fandom's oldest and biggest slash archive

http://www.area52hkh.net/pairmenu.php

sigpic

Comment

~raises hand somewhat meekly~

So, if slash fic isn't allowed here, firstly: is het? (Because, yknow... that seems a bit mean to me - here in the UK we have equal rights) And secondly: does that mean there's a forum-wide slash banning? I mean, my sig isn't exactly in your face, but it's created with a view to the characters being wuvved up (and subsequent angst, obviously).

The forum's a great place and I wouldn't like to have to leave on principle.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                                ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Working...
                                X