Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh I don't mind them being in Parts even if they never continue it, if the first part is good you always have that, I would however be wary of leaving a cliff-hanger type ending just in case you really don't get back to it, because that does suck.

Comment

What happened to the .txt use of asteriks to separate sections of a story. Before if I used seven spaced asterisks so: * * * * * * *, then a line would appear between sections. Now just the asterisks appear and in weird places. The directions don't help. Can you please elaborate?

please see my new upload for the problem:

http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...revealed2.html

Thanks
      Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

we've had to change our uploader so that difference might be the issue. unfortunatley there are only so many permutations we can test

i will let darren know and see if it can be tweaked or not.

in the mean time i can suggest a couple of things off the top of my head.

we can leave your fic as it is or i can delete it and you can re-upload, using something else to designate chapters.

i've been burned on ff.net when they changed. i always used to use <><><> as my chapter marks, but those symbols disappear now so i have to use /\/\/\/\, an even then, half of those vanish and i have yet to find something that works with thier uploader

jsut let me know what you want me to do and i'll take care of it when i get home tonight

and if anyone else notices anything else wiggy, let us know. we can't fix it if we don't realize that there's an issue
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

i've been burned on ff.net when they changed. i always used to use <><><> as my chapter marks, but those symbols disappear now so i have to use /\/\/\/\, an even then, half of those vanish and i have yet to find something that works with thier uploader

Lines like this ____ or ---- work with ff.net's uploader. I know they used to allow this one ~*~ but no more

Comment

Hi everyone! I recently became interested in Fanfiction writing so I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.

Are we allowed to do "script writing?" Here's an example, kinda like transcripts:

Daniel: My name's Daniel, it means, "God is my judge."

Jack: And I'm Jack, which means........what's in the box?

And I also wondered if it's possible to post pictures in our stories, like at the very end or something.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
            Well, most of us were at work here...

The five J's of Stargate: Jack, Janet, Jonas, Jacob, Jackson!!!
            In memorium: Whistler84 and Atteria...may you always be remembered.

Comment

yes, you can post script format fic. no, pictures will not survive the uploader

if you use the text uploader, all formatting will be stripped from your document, but if you need better formatting, you can make a html page and upload that

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your answers! Another one came into my head, and I'm sure it's the last one, so here goes...

...if you had cursing like Jack does, such as the "h" word and the "a" and "b" words, would that get an automatic PG-13 rating? Just curious, that's all...

...and thank you so much for answering my earlier ones!!! It really means a lot!

Comment

if there was just one swear word, it could be pg, but if there were more, then it could deserve a pg-13

the hard thing about ratings is that there's no set recipe. there's not minimum number of words or amount of more adult content to guide people.

for the most part, if you'd see what happens in the fic on the show, then it's pg or pg13. if you know that the show would never show it, then it's likely rated above that. such as a fic with a lot of violence or torture/whumping

sigpic

Comment

There's also the fact that Gateworld - along with most of the other big archives - has dropped the use of the conventional US (MPAA?) cinema ratings, following the threat of legal action by the copyright holders. Check your archive's policy - GW uses All Ages, Older Kids, Teens and Mature - and apply your discretion.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

i have question: is there a phrase or actually disclaimer i can use to say that all Sg related fiction is the property of.... to avoid copyrighting etc....when writing a series that is based up on stargate itself....without like saying the concept is owned by MGM etc...??? im not good with the legalities
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

here's a general disclaimer

Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, Sci-fi and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author

sigpic

Comment

thanks alot, that helps, i assume i can just add this to bottom of anything we publish on a site etc and itll be ok, legally that is.
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

The disclaimer is an act of respect rather than a legal formality. If you use their ideas and characters, you're still committing a copyright infringement, however much you disclaim.

All fanfic is in some sense an infringement of copyright - unless it's parody, in which case it's complicated - but it exists in a strange litigious netherworld wherein it isn't worth their while chasing it up and alienating fans when all it really does is give the show some free publicity. Fanific tends to enjoy a sort of tacit approval in that the PTB generally choose not to see it. If someone reports a site, however, they are obliged to act, otherwise they would risk losing their IPR in future court cases, which is what has usually happened when someone gets a cease and desist order.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

very generally speaking, fanfic exists like this site exists...simply because it's not worth the bad press and bad pr to shut it down.

HOwever, as soon as a site does something that annoys the 'right' person or it comes to the attention of the 'right' person, then they can act and send site owners a c&d.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                very generally speaking, fanfic exists like this site exists...simply because it's not worth the bad press and bad pr to shut it down.

HOwever, as soon as a site does something that annoys the 'right' person or it comes to the attention of the 'right' person, then they can act and send site owners a c&d.
                                So are you saying that Gateworld itself is an illegal site that could be shut down if we upset the wrong people? Could the fanfic writers and the people running the site face legal action????

As writers, what can we do to make sure we don't upset the wrong people? Would posting this disclaimer on each of our stories help you out?

Comment

Working...
                                X