Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Fanfic 'rules'

Default Re: Fanfic 'rules'

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderqueen
    So are you saying that Gateworld itself is an illegal site that could be shut down if we upset the wrong people? Could the fanfic writers and the people running the site face legal action????

As writers, what can we do to make sure we don't upset the wrong people? Would posting this disclaimer on each of our stories help you out?
    All fan sites are 'illegal' in that they're using copyrighted material without express written permission, etc. It's when a site starts to make a profit that the studio might take interest and take it down, or posts material that is offensive. Now, slash fic exists and has existed for decades. I thikn the studios just accept it as part of the business, unless of course, you slash cartoon characters. Warner Bros. doesn't care for fans to slash its characterson sites, so some sites have gone poof.

Fanfic is a very gray area; while the studios tolerate it, they could easily shut down any and all fan sites if they wanted to simply because they have more money and more legal standing.

All fanfic should have standard legal disclaimers about copyright etc., to protect your work as well. You may be using the characters of O'Neill and Sheppard, etc. but your writing belongs to you, as well as any original characters you create.

Thanks for answering my questions, everyone. Kinda weird how fan sites and fanfiction are sort of a middle standing, though. Ah well, there's absolutely no reason on Earth I'd even consider sell my stuff, which would be so illegal to be laughable. I'll make sure to put legal disclaimers on my stuff; it's the least I can do to make sure Gateworld doesn't suffer legal issues.
    Well, most of us were at work here...

The five J's of Stargate: Jack, Janet, Jonas, Jacob, Jackson!!!
    In memorium: Whistler84 and Atteria...may you always be remembered.

Behind the *new* bar. What'll it be, stranger?

'Sir, you have insulted my honour. I deman satisfaction, I challenge you to a duel!'

Anyone planning to write any new fanfics? if so, you better use this line or I won't read it...

Question...Do we have a thread here for fanfic writers to announce their latest stories, whether they are archived here or not? Or, do we just post them to this thread?

I never bother to announce things here because I tend to confuse myself.

Chevron Re: Fanfic 'rules'

I've seen other posts lining this part of the forum advertising stories, so I'm guessing it's allowed. Anyone know for certain?
    Well, most of us were at work here...

The five J's of Stargate: Jack, Janet, Jonas, Jacob, Jackson!!!
    In memorium: Whistler84 and Atteria...may you always be remembered.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

advertise away. we have threads in this part of the forum for jsut that purpose. also, let's say you're a sam fan and play in the sam thread, let them know you've written a new story

there are a couple of caveats:

don't post the story in the forum.

when you post the fic, you need to post information about it such as

title
    author
    spoilers - what episode plots does it give away
    warnings - does it have language, violence, character death or other squickable issues in it. please tell people of this
    pairings - not everyone likes every pairing, so please tell them if your fic focuses on a pairing

also, while you are free to announce your fic here, there is no need to spam. so let's say you just wrote a sam/jack fic...you can tell folks in the thread here, and maybe in the ship famiy thread...but that's it. no need to spam it all over the place

Lieutenant Colonel

I'm having problems with finding a place to put a new little fic of mine at so would it be okay to put it on this forum???

Just wondering.

(Moderator)

darren's preferece is to archive the fic on the site.

using the forum gets too cluttery for fanfic posting. It also isn't backedup as well as the site so the fic could get lost

Lieutenant Colonel

It's not that good a fic

Erm, thanks for answering my question.

(Moderator)

hey, good is a relative term

post it and let folks read it. you might be surprised at the reaction

Lieutenant Colonel

It's not fully finished I'm just preparing for when it is finished...where would I post it...

I am dreadful at this kind of thing. Sorry about all this.

(Moderator)

go to www.gateworld.net and follow the link to fanfic and the upload instructions.

if you have any questions, snag me or one of the other mods and we'll help you out

Lieutenant Colonel

Thank you very much.

I have a question, and I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere:

Are they actually going to fix the fanfic uploader here? Or is the ff archive here more or less closed now?

(Moderator)

that is a question for Darren

it was taken off line to fix some issues, and fixing those issues are his job

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    that is a question for Darren

it was taken off line to fix some issues, and fixing those issues are his job

What a snazzy bureaucratic, "not my department" reply. Beautifully passive-aggressive, yet also completely noninformative.

I don't know who Darren is, and I don't particularly care if you can't be bothered to enlighten me. Seeing I'm in no mood to deal with hostile mods, I'll just assume this isn't something I'm suppose to ask about and go. Thanks, I guess.

that was a little aggressive, wasn't it?

Darren is the site owner and he will fix the fanficuploadinggizmo when he does.

Read the nice lady's reply - or have someone read it for you. It seemed perfectly explanatory and probably more polite than you deserved.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Second Lieutenant Cheerful Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
    What a snazzy bureaucratic, "not my department" reply. Beautifully passive-aggressive, yet also completely noninformative.

I don't know who Darren is, and I don't particularly care if you can't be bothered to enlighten me. Seeing I'm in no mood to deal with hostile mods, I'll just assume this isn't something I'm suppose to ask about and go. Thanks, I guess.
    I think Skydiver assumed you know who Darren is. Given that you only have 3 posts to your credit, that wasn't a good assumption to make. But she was not being passive-aggressive. It genuinely isn't her department.

You may not be in the mood to deal with hostile moods, but why expect other people to cope with what seems to be hostility from you?
    C-D
    Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...dragonbaal.jpg
    Sig by *E*K*R*

(Moderator)

DArren is the owner/operator of the site for those not in the know. the fanfic uploader was taken off line a while ago when the whole site was upgraded. Soon thereafer the forum had a software upgrade and there have been many bugs and tweaks associated with both upgrades.

fixing the uploader is certainly onhis list of things to do, but it's a matter of having the time to accomplish so much in a finite amount of time.

In addition, a hacking attack upon the site using the fanfic uploader last year, necessitates that we make sure that the security measures are in place, but that they also work with the two upgrades

all in all, it's kinda like herding cats

as to not my department, it isn't. I dont' have nor do i want the access codes to alter the site. the less people that know that the better and given my general lack of programming knowledge, i wouldn't know how to use it even if i had the knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post

You're extremely rude. If you had read ANY of the information about Gateworld, you would know who Darren is. But, since with 3 posts to your name, YOU are supreme and we . . .
    I can't go on. What a doof. *shakes head*

Mods - If this is out of line, let me know. Or just snip it. I'm in a snarky mood this evening.