This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmm......Cicadas!

This is mainly for those of you who live in the parts of the U.S. that are having to deal with the onslaught of those "red-eyed,noisy little buggers",mostly because everybody else might not have aclue as to what the blazes I'm talking about.Even if you don't & just feel like chiming in,go ahead,jump in & swat away
    I finally got my boys to get out from in front of the tv because they like to collect them.They don't bite or sting,they just fly around looking to mate & die.Has anybody here actually eaten any?In Washington D.C.,they had a cicada cook-off...yuck!My bag of Frito's will do just fine ,thank you very much.

A lady in the grocery store said her grandson collected a bag full of the "pupa husks" & took them home to his little sister as apresent.They named them & played with them like dolls,then claimed them as pets
    Anybody got any anecdotes,comments,....recipes....come on down!
    nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

We have them here Downunder as well and boy are they NOISY during the summer season. I can admit I used to play with them when I was little, but eating them.....NO Thanks!
    If I were a Goddess - let it be that of Love & Beauty

Comment

I am unbelievably sick of cicadas. The tv and newspapers carried cicada stories for weeks before the buggers emerged. Now we're in the midst of cicada mating with high noise levels. I've had to shut the house up to keep out the noise.

The dogs love them, though. They snap up every cicada they see, then pick a nice spot in the house to barf them back up.

Oh, yeah, I looove cicadas.
      Slainte
      "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

At least I know my dog isn't the only one that does that. Half-dugested cicada parts on my pillow. Why did I want one of these creatures again?
        *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

I grew up in Phoenix and miss those sounds. I remember going out and collecting bags full of the empty shells.

Oh for days gone by...... Living in the Pacific NW, we don't have them here.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aphrodite
            We have them here Downunder as well and boy are they NOISY during the summer season. I can admit I used to play with them when I was little, but eating them.....NO Thanks!
            I saw one once when I was walking in the Blue Mountains (and heard lots more of course).
            Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have a few dead ones in the school hallways once in awhile. Kids bring them in to throw at girls, then they get stomped.
              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Working...
              X