This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate and Wormhole questions..

1. When people walk into the Stargate, and their foot goes beyond the event horizon, what could they possibly be standing on, considering that their foot now has no substance?

2. If the gate doesn't reintegrate the object until all of it enters the wormhole, then how was Teal'c able to shoot that grappling hook through the wormhole and have it attach to the cave ceiling in the episode where O'neill gets trapped?

3. If energy can travel through a wormhole bi-directionally, then why not use some of that fancy asgard teleportation technology to recover the team from planets that have not been visited due to lack of DHD? (or why don't aliens use it to get past the IRIS?

4. What happens if you try to enter the stargate from the back side?

5. The metal ramp in the SGC goes up and over the bottom lip of the gate. Is there a gap there, where the wormhole forms?

6. How do the 8 and 9th chevrons activate offworld (or on atlantis) when the gate is embedded in the ground?

7. Since the puddle jumper console can dial a gate, how does the operator know what symbols to push, given that they don't match the ones on the gate or the DHD?

8. Why does the Amazing Time-Travel jumper have the "Pyramid" Point of Origin symbol, when the Ancients were using the Antarctic gate? Shouldn't it have the "Circle and Line" symbol which is the Point of Origin printed on the Antarctic gate?

9. Why doesn't the Promethius have a gateroom? It would come in super-handy, I'd think, and there are tons of extra gates around.

10. What happened to the ice crystals that appeared whenever someone went through the gate? Was there an "excuse" given as to why the makeup people don't have to do this every episode?

Originally posted by Klaitu
    1. When people walk into the Stargate, and their foot goes beyond the event horizon, what could they possibly be standing on, considering that their foot now has no substance?

2. If the gate doesn't reintegrate the object until all of it enters the wormhole, then how was Teal'c able to shoot that grappling hook through the wormhole and have it attach to the cave ceiling in the episode where O'neill gets trapped?

3. If energy can travel through a wormhole bi-directionally, then why not use some of that fancy asgard teleportation technology to recover the team from planets that have not been visited due to lack of DHD? (or why don't aliens use it to get past the IRIS?

5. The metal ramp in the SGC goes up and over the bottom lip of the gate. Is there a gap there, where the wormhole forms?

6. How do the 8 and 9th chevrons activate offworld (or on atlantis) when the gate is embedded in the ground?

7. Since the puddle jumper console can dial a gate, how does the operator know what symbols to push, given that they don't match the ones on the gate or the DHD?

8. Why does the Amazing Time-Travel jumper have the "Pyramid" Point of Origin symbol, when the Ancients were using the Antarctic gate? Shouldn't it have the "Circle and Line" symbol which is the Point of Origin printed on the Antarctic gate?

9. Why doesn't the Promethius have a gateroom? It would come in super-handy, I'd think, and there are tons of extra gates around.

10. What happened to the ice crystals that appeared whenever someone went through the gate? Was there an "excuse" given as to why the makeup people don't have to do this every episode?
    1. the gate has some sort of resistance and support to it, when teal'c put apophis' body in it held it up in mid air when it got half way in.

2. there are many different explanations, part of it is a velocity thing, im not 100% sure of the whole explanation

3. only certain kinds of energy like radio waves can travel both ways, a teleportation energy stream is probably to much to go both ways.

4. general consensus is you die, but its never been addressed in the show.

5.there is a small gap, yes

6. you punch them into the DHD, it wouldnt matter if they were covered up or not as long as it had enough power and your adjusted the programming

7. the symbols do match they just look different because on the pegasus gates they are dors, but the jumper console has them drawn with lines

8. it doesnt, watch moebius part 2, there is a clear shot of the PoO button in the time-jumper and it is not the pyramid, it looks like a targeting recticle or something, an oval with two intersecting lines through it

9. since prometheus' primary mission is earth defense its going to spend most of its time in near earth space, a gate on prometheus would be redundant and a waste of space. maybe on some future model of exploratory ship.

10. the rough ride and ice chrystals were do to the inaccuracy of calculating stellar drift, once we got better at it we were able to get more stable lock and now they arent frozen and thrown out of the gate.

Comment

7. The Puddle Jumpers button is a universal button, it will count as the point of origin. im sure they ancients are capable of doing this as they did build the system
      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

1. the gate has some sort of resistance and support to it, when teal'c put apophis' body in it held it up in mid air when it got half way in.
        Alright, I'll by that one.

2. there are many different explanations, part of it is a velocity thing, im not 100% sure of the whole explanation
        I'm pretty sure it's one of those "whoops" moments.

3. only certain kinds of energy like radio waves can travel both ways, a teleportation energy stream is probably to much to go both ways.
        What episode is this mentioned in?

7. the symbols do match they just look different because on the pegasus gates they are dors, but the jumper console has them drawn with lines
        What episode specifically shows the atlantis jumper buttons?

8. it doesnt, watch moebius part 2, there is a clear shot of the PoO button in the time-jumper and it is not the pyramid, it looks like a targeting recticle or something, an oval with two intersecting lines through it
        Actually, it IS the pyramid button. The button they push after the pyramid is the "activation" button, much like the big red button on a DHD.

9. since prometheus' primary mission is earth defense its going to spend most of its time in near earth space, a gate on prometheus would be redundant and a waste of space. maybe on some future model of exploratory ship.
        Waste of space? You could instantly transport people and materials directly to the ship, or back to earth no matter where in the galaxy you are. Sure, the promethius is usually near earth, but when it isn't, an extra gate would come in handy.

10. the rough ride and ice chrystals were do to the inaccuracy of calculating stellar drift, once we got better at it we were able to get more stable lock and now they arent frozen and thrown out of the gate.
        Actually, the ice crystals were do to "the decompression of your molecules as the gate reintegrates you" according to Carter.

Comment

I think the ice crystals were written out of the script to save money and hassles with makeup.
          As for the back side of the gate, I bet there is a scientific explanation that says you could walk through either side. I am going to go talk to my old physics prof about that one.
          Of course the writers probably don't think about this stuff as much as we do...
          Embrace your dorkiness.

Comment

The ice crystals can be explained away by saying that Carter assumed that they were a normal part of the process, before she knew that Earth's starate was out of sync with the rest of the gate network. Once the discrpency was corrected, the crystals ceased to be an issue. After all, why would the Ancients build a gate network that covered you in ice every time you used it?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilM
              As for the back side of the gate, I bet there is a scientific explanation that says you could walk through either side.
              Maybe. But then you'd probably have to conclude that (somehow) the outgoing gate ensures that you still come out of the correct end of the receiving gate, so that you can't bypass the iris so easily. Just make sure that you don't enter the wormhole from behind at the exact same time someoone else enters it from the front....
              Originally posted by VBach37
              The ice crystals can be explained away by saying that Carter assumed that they were a normal part of the process, before she knew that Earth's starate was out of sync with the rest of the gate network. Once the discrpency was corrected, the crystals ceased to be an issue. After all, why would the Ancients build a gate network that covered you in ice every time you used it?
              ^ What he said. Exactly.
              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Questions, questions. I'll see if I can answer a few.

1. Technically speaking, when you stick your foot into the Event Horizon, it's being de-molecularized and converted into a data stream that will be transmitted by the origin gate to the destination gate. So if you want to look at it this way, your foot is actually a binary sequence stored in a computer memory buffer. It stays that way until you either withdraw your foot from the Event Horizon, or you step all the way in, which will allow the gate to trasmit you to the destination gate.

2. This observation has created much conjecture here at GateWorld. But in my opinion, i think it's a plot hole.

3. To use most types of transporter technologies, you need to establish some sort of lock on a target. Attempting to lock on a target through a womhole may be difficult or impossible. Yes, sensors maybe able to detect stuff on the other side of a worm hole, but attempting a transport lock on a target through a wormhole may be far more difficult. (But it may not be impossible, though).

4. More than likely, nothing. Most stargates are erected in such a way that it is hard to access the back side of the gate anyway. If there's an active wormhole in the gate, there is probably some force field or shield that will prevent you from walking from the back side of the gate to the front side.

5. I never really noticed that. It may just appear to hanging over the gate due to the camera angles. Obviously if the gate were obstructed, the worm hole wouldn't form. I believe there is about an inch of so between the edge of the ramp and the gate itself, so there should be room for the worm hole to form.

6. The chevrons may not be visible, but they will probably activate normally. It's just the way the gate is erected on platforms and stuff. There are probably spaces in the platform mount that allow the chevrons to move and activate.

7. The PJ console probably has all 36 known gate symbols of the Pegasus galaxy. If the operator presses the right symbols, he will connect to the right stargate address, irregardless of symbols marked on a DHD or a Stargate.

8. Sorry, brain freeze on this one...

9. Two reasons:

A). The Prometheus is constantly moving. In order for a wormhole to lock onto a gate, the gate's coordinates must remain relatively static. Since Prometheus is always moving, it's coordinates in space would be constantly changing. No wormholes would be able to lock onto the Prometheus (unless the ship wasn't moving) gate.
                B). Security. Having a stargate on a ship is an immense security risk, as almost anyone capable of dialing a gate could conceivably access your ship. Not a good circumstance if you ask me. Also, it would be a huge power drain on your ship's systems if you wanted to dial out.

10. More than likely it was getting too expensive and time consuming for the costume department to prepare everyone.

Comment

1. Technically speaking, when you stick your foot into the Event Horizon, it's being de-molecularized and converted into a data stream that will be transmitted by the origin gate to the destination gate. So if you want to look at it this way, your foot is actually a binary sequence stored in a computer memory buffer. It stays that way until you either withdraw your foot from the Event Horizon, or you step all the way in, which will allow the gate to trasmit you to the destination gate.
                  That's my dilemna.. if your foot is demolecularized, then when you step past the event horizon, your foot no longer has substance, and is therefore unable to hold your weight as you step through. From how I understand it, someone stepping through the gate would just fall through, even though their entries seem to be a bit more controlled than that.

2. This observation has created much conjecture here at GateWorld. But in my opinion, i think it's a plot hole.
                  Me too, I think they forgot about Teal'c doing that when the did the Atlantis episode.

3. To use most types of transporter technologies, you need to establish some sort of lock on a target. Attempting to lock on a target through a womhole may be difficult or impossible. Yes, sensors maybe able to detect stuff on the other side of a worm hole, but attempting a transport lock on a target through a wormhole may be far more difficult. (But it may not be impossible, though).
                  Shouldn't be too hard if you establish beforehand that your "beamee" needs to be X feet in front of the gate.. or better yet, just stick some sensing device on the MALP that would provide precise coordinates.

7. The PJ console probably has all 36 known gate symbols of the Pegasus galaxy. If the operator presses the right symbols, he will connect to the right stargate address, irregardless of symbols marked on a DHD or a Stargate.
                  I don't really understand how this is possible. I realize that they like to use the cate symbols as phone numbers, but the whole thing behind the gate system is that each gate has a seperate set of symbols that correspond to constellations that can be found in the night sky of wherever the gate is placed.

If your Puddle Jumper leaves the Atlantis planet, the constellation symbols are essentially worthless.. although, who knows if those dots are actually supposed to be star constellations like in the Milky Way.

There's also the problem with the time travelling jumper, in that it had emblazoned on it the "usual" SG-1 symbols. Once they leave earth, how can they reliably dial anywhere, considering the symbols in the jumper do not match the night sky, nor do they match the gate, nor the DHD. There's no way for them to tell which button corresponds to what symbol.

This, of course, makes me wonder how Ra's Stargate even has Earth constellations on it in the first place if it was taken from some other planet.

A). The Prometheus is constantly moving. In order for a wormhole to lock onto a gate, the gate's coordinates must remain relatively static. Since Prometheus is always moving, it's coordinates in space would be constantly changing. No wormholes would be able to lock onto the Prometheus (unless the ship wasn't moving) gate.
                  Obviously you'd have to stop the ship.. but if your hyperdrive broke or something, you could just dial up some help, instead of relying on Jonas to find the buried Stargate on a foreign world. It would also work really wall for exploring planets with no stargate.. just gate the team over to the promethius, and then ring them down. That way you don't tie up your personnel for the whole journey.

B). Security. Having a stargate on a ship is an immense security risk, as almost anyone capable of dialing a gate could conceivably access your ship. Not a good circumstance if you ask me. Also, it would be a huge power drain on your ship's systems if you wanted to dial out.
                  Im sure they could whip up a portable IRIS, or somesuch. Maybe like an IRIS plug that just fits over the gate. blocking incoming wormholes doesn't seem to be a problem.. heck, they altered the IRIS once to simulate burying the gate.

As for the power requirements, you'd just have to generate enough power to open the wormhole, and then the power would come from the opposite site.. or at least, that's how I understand it to be.

10. More than likely it was getting too expensive and time consuming for the costume department to prepare everyone.
                  Well, obviously.. but let's take the "shaking" thing as an example. Originally, the gate would go crazy and start shakin the whole mountain when they dialed out, so Hammond says they installed shock absorbers to nullify that.

But they haven't come up with an explaination about the ice crystals, nor have they really explained why people don't come flying out of the gate at super-fast-stumble-around speed anymore. I was just wondering if I had missed an episode that explained these things.

Comment

Here's the reason for #10:

The problem they use to have with reentry was a combo of stellar drift and all the error signals that the SCG dialing computer ignors- which I believe is numbers around 200. I beleive in the ep Red Sky, they had a rough trip- beacuse the computer forced the gate to wormhole though a sun.

Could someone with the DVD watch the begining and confim this, please?
                    Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                    "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                    "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                    ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                    McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                    "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

The ice crystals have nothing to do with stellar drift, at least, in the dialogue. You might recall that in the pilot, Jack throws some tissues through the gate, and then hours later, Daniel throws the empty box back through. The empty box has ice crystals on it, even though it was sent through a gate with a DHD.

The ice crystals cannot be a result of the SGC's dialing computers.

Comment

The ice crystals have nothing to do with stellar drift, at least, in the dialogue. You might recall that in the pilot, Jack throws some tissues through the gate, and then hours later, Daniel throws the empty box back through. The empty box has ice crystals on it, even though it was sent through a gate with a DHD.

The ice crystals cannot be a result of the SGC's dialing computers.
                        the abydos DHD had not been hooked up long enough to recieve a correlative update thats all.

Comment

I don't really understand how this is possible. I realize that they like to use the cate symbols as phone numbers, but the whole thing behind the gate system is that each gate has a seperate set of symbols that correspond to constellations that can be found in the night sky of wherever the gate is placed.

If your Puddle Jumper leaves the Atlantis planet, the constellation symbols are essentially worthless.. although, who knows if those dots are actually supposed to be star constellations like in the Milky Way.

There's also the problem with the time travelling jumper, in that it had emblazoned on it the "usual" SG-1 symbols. Once they leave earth, how can they reliably dial anywhere, considering the symbols in the jumper do not match the night sky, nor do they match the gate, nor the DHD. There's no way for them to tell which button corresponds to what symbol.

This, of course, makes me wonder how Ra's Stargate even has Earth constellations on it in the first place if it was taken from some other planet.
                          the whole symbols being constelations thing was a movie thing and not in the show. in the show the symbols on all gates are the same except for the point of origin. the symbols on the earth gate arent constelations either because when the gates would have been made the stars looked very different and the constelations werent there. my theory for explaining this is that the ancient humans revered the gate as an object of worship, belonging to the gods, and then looked at the symbols and drew them in the night sky. the constelations come from the symbols not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                            the whole symbols being constelations thing was a movie thing and not in the show. in the show the symbols on all gates are the same except for the point of origin. the symbols on the earth gate arent constelations either because when the gates would have been made the stars looked very different and the constelations werent there. my theory for explaining this is that the ancient humans revered the gate as an object of worship, belonging to the gods, and then looked at the symbols and drew them in the night sky. the constelations come from the symbols not the other way around.
                            That sounds like a good theory. However that's making the assumption that, for example, the Orion symbol even had something in the sky that looked exactly like it. (Does that make sense? It made sense in my head. )

But if the symbols really are constellations, then...How is it that they are (supposed to be?) all the same on each gate in the system? (Except for the PoO.) Considering that the universe is such a huge place, how can all the constellations be the same on every gate. Shouldn't the distance alone dictate what symbols are on the gate? Not to mention the differences in each galaxy? It just seems to me that the further away you go, the constellations should start to change at some point. Wouldn't that make for several jumps from one gate to another in order to reach very distant places? Or are the places that they are going to just not that distant? I suppose that would seem logical. Maybe.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just unnecessarily confusing myself.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of buffer system that doesn't begin to pull you apart until you reach a certain distance from the event horizon. Maybe that's why every gate has that platform on the bottom. ???

No, there isn't. I can't remember what episode I was watching, but it showed a shot of directly over the gate, and there was no gap, no damage, no nothing. The same is true of other gates that are set in stone or whatnot. There's almost always that "platform" on the bottom of the gate to anchor it. I don't know how to explain it. In any case, I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining things. I'll have to find the episode and double check.

Ya know, I always wondered about that myself. Not only that, but... do people still get queasy when they first go through the gate? I don't remember seeing that in any episode since the first season. Or was that just magically done away with along with the 'people-frosting'?

~ I have a LiveJournal !. ~

Comment

Originally posted by GateWarrior
                              That sounds like a good theory. However that's making the assumption that, for example, the Orion symbol even had something in the sky that looked exactly like it. (Does that make sense? It made sense in my head. )
                              Makes no sense to me, I have no idea what you are talking about

Originally posted by GateWarrior
                              But if the symbols really are constellations, then...How is it that they are (supposed to be?) all the same on each gate in the system? (Except for the PoO.) Considering that the universe is such a huge place, how can all the constellations be the same on every gate. Shouldn't the distance alone dictate what symbols are on the gate? Not to mention the differences in each galaxy? It just seems to me that the further away you go, the constellations should start to change at some point. Wouldn't that make for several jumps from one gate to another in order to reach very distant places? Or are the places that they are going to just not that distant? I suppose that would seem logical. Maybe.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just unnecessarily confusing myself.
                              I have a good explanation: They're not constellations. It's as simple as that. Don't confuse yourself for no reason, it can't be healthy

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Working...
                              X