Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the gate on Apophis’ ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the gate on Apophis’ ship?

At the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 in the two part episodes Within The Serpent’s Grasp(1x22)/The Serpent’s Lair(2x01) we had SG-1 directly gate into Apophis’ flagship, as said flagship had a stargate on board. That flagship, along with one other Ha’tak, then flew to Earth to attack it, whereupon both ships were eventually destroyed by SG-1.

My question is, what happened to that gate?

The Giza gate was found in 1928 (SG94), and remained in used until the season 4 episode Small Victories(4x01), where it was beamed aboard an Asgard ship so that SG-1 could escape it before it burned up during reentry. This gate was later found by the Russians and paired with the Giza DHD (4x7 Watergate). After the Antarctica gate was destroyed by Anubis(6x02 Redemption pt. 2), this gate went back into active use.

The beta gate likewise was found by O’Neill and Carter(1x18 Solitudes), stolen by the NID, recovered by the SGC (2x14, Touchstone) and put into active use following the presumed loss of the Giza gate.

As far as I know, the series never clarifies the fate of the Apophis gate, presuming it destroyed.

However, Stargate’s are shown in the series to be tough cookies, and a single block of C4 as seen in WTSG/TSL is weaker that other explosions that have failed to destroy a gate (9x6 Beachhead, 3x17 A Hundred Days, 2x16 A Matter of Time, 4x1 Small Victories).

As far as I know, no episodes of the show address the fate of this stargate, do any of the novels pick up this dangling thread or was it just forgotten about?

It's assumed destroyed. Though they do tend to a be a bit inconsistent with that. We do see the gate get destroyed by an al'kesh crashing on it. But apparently the meteor wasn't enough.

I will defend Beachhead and Matter of Time though. For Beachhead a prior protected the gate from the explosion. And for Matter of Time, time dilation makes things dicey. I was reading what happens if you fall into a black hole and and outside viewer will see you die from being stringified while you on the inside will be scratching your head wondering what is going on. So the gate could be suffering the same where time is so slow that it hasn't been torn apart yet.

Small Victories and Hundred Days is a MAYBE defend. The inertial dampeners of the ship could have been what saved the gate. Hundred Days is the hardest to defend especially since we see an al'kesh vaporize the gate with a crash. Maybe the meteor hit nearby and the kinetic shockwave knocked it over but even I'll admit that's relaly reaching (and Carter would go on to say the gate survived a direct hit from a meteor)

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      It's assumed destroyed. Though they do tend to a be a bit inconsistent with that. We do see the gate get destroyed by an al'kesh crashing on it. But apparently the meteor wasn't enough.

Hundred Days is the hardest to defend especially since we see an al'kesh vaporize the gate with a crash. Maybe the meteor hit nearby and the kinetic shockwave knocked it over but even I'll admit that's relaly reaching (and Carter would go on to say the gate survived a direct hit from a meteor)
      I believe you're thinking of "48 Hours." The dialogue only says the DHD was destroyed when the al'kesh crashed:

CARTER
      If the Alkesh crashed into the DHD on the other planet it would have cut off power to the outgoing gate. Then the wormhole would have been severed prematurely. Now if that happened before our gate was able to reconvert Teal'c's energy signature back into matter...

Here's the clip: https://youtu.be/naFoBOTD2Ag?t=59 I see the explosion from the al'kesh going down on the DHD engulfing the gate, but I don't see any reason to think the gate was destroyed in that explosion. Someone else I spoke to about this thinks that they see a secondary explosion that came from the gate when slowed down. I just see everything going white for a bit and then flames appearing to wrap around the gate from the right of the screen.

I'd also point out that this is a season 5 episode, and in the previous season's "Chain Reaction" they established that turning a planet into "a giant ball of super heated plasma" by setting off all of its naquadah deposits didn't destroy the gate. So, even if we did see the gate destroyed in "48 Hours," at best it would an error by the SFX people since the writers had already established how durable the gate was at that point, and they didn't say the gate was destroyed once in dialogue.

Comment

Good catch. I missed that line. Yeah, I think the SFX made it look like the gate got destroyed.

sigpic
        Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
        https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Well... If it was still useable then somebody would have found it already. Or maybe it has floating away out of the solar system now.

I have never liked spaceship explosions near Earth as I would expect some debris to float around our planet. But nothing after the defeat of Anubis' fleet or the SuperHive. Simply it is not logical as the pieces should fly away in every direction, so some part of those destroyed should have fallen back to the Moon or Earth while some part of it would have orbitted around our planet.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Smash Lampjaw View Post
            At the end of season 1/beginning of season 2 in the two part episodes Within The Serpent’s Grasp(1x22)/The Serpent’s Lair(2x01) we had SG-1 directly gate into Apophis’ flagship, as said flagship had a stargate on board. That flagship, along with one other Ha’tak, then flew to Earth to attack it, whereupon both ships were eventually destroyed by SG-1.

My question is, what happened to that gate?

The Giza gate was found in 1928 (SG94), and remained in used until the season 4 episode Small Victories(4x01), where it was beamed aboard an Asgard ship so that SG-1 could escape it before it burned up during reentry. This gate was later found by the Russians and paired with the Giza DHD (4x7 Watergate). After the Antarctica gate was destroyed by Anubis(6x02 Redemption pt. 2), this gate went back into active use.

The beta gate likewise was found by O’Neill and Carter(1x18 Solitudes), stolen by the NID, recovered by the SGC (2x14, Touchstone) and put into active use following the presumed loss of the Giza gate.

As far as I know, the series never clarifies the fate of the Apophis gate, presuming it destroyed.

However, Stargate’s are shown in the series to be tough cookies, and a single block of C4 as seen in WTSG/TSL is weaker that other explosions that have failed to destroy a gate (9x6 Beachhead, 3x17 A Hundred Days, 2x16 A Matter of Time, 4x1 Small Victories).

As far as I know, no episodes of the show address the fate of this stargate, do any of the novels pick up this dangling thread or was it just forgotten about?
            That stargate was destroyed. There's a simple and logical explanation for this particular stargate being destroyed easier than the ones you'd mentioned. Besides in, A Time of Matter, none of the gates involved a direct explosion caused by a bomb. The gate on Thor's ship was actually "shielded" by the ship itself. The ship's haul was burning away during reentry, so by the time it was gone, the temperature in the lower atmosphere was cool enough to have made no damage to the gate. Keep in mind that the gate wasn't burning the whole time like the ship was doing.

In A Hundred Days, the explanation is very simple, the stargate wasn't directly hit by any meteors at all. Some landed near the gate, resulting in a shockwave that effected the surrounding area. This is how the gate got buried under rubbles instead of being in the center and lowest point on the surface of a crater. If the gate was directly hit by a meteor and withstood the damage, the evidence would have been there. The evidence would have shown the gate being pushed down by the force of the meteor until it stopped due to the loss of energy.

In A Matter of Time, the explosive energy wasn't strong enough to have gone beyond the event horizon. It basically got contained by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

As you can see, the only stargate that was effected by the energy of direct explosion, was the one on Korel's ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post

I'd also point out that this is a season 5 episode, and in the previous season's "Chain Reaction" they established that turning a planet into "a giant ball of super heated plasma" by setting off all of its naquadah deposits didn't destroy the gate. So, even if we did see the gate destroyed in "48 Hours," at best it would an error by the SFX people since the writers had already established how durable the gate was at that point, and they didn't say the gate was destroyed once in dialogue.
              The ball of plasma was producing enough energy to keep the stargate active, but was not hot enough to have done any damage to it. The temperature of plasma isn't determined by its mass. It's possible for Plasma A to produce a higher temperature than a Plasma B eventhough the amount of Plasma A is less than Plasma B.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight_Star View Post
                In A Hundred Days, the explanation is very simple, the stargate wasn't directly hit by any meteors at all. Some landed near the gate, resulting in a shockwave that effected the surrounding area. This is how the gate got buried under rubbles instead of being in the center and lowest point on the surface of a crater. If the gate was directly hit by a meteor and withstood the damage, the evidence would have been there. The evidence would have shown the gate being pushed down by the force of the meteor until it stopped due to the loss of energy.

Carter: "You can't Teal'c. That last hit was right on top of the Gate, you'd be walking into a fire storm." -A Hundred Days
                Carter: "Sir, we've seen the Stargate survive a direct hit from a meteorite." -Chain Reaction

As I said in my previous post, what the writers intend and what we see on screen are not always in alignment.

The ball of plasma was producing enough energy to keep the stargate active, but was not hot enough to have done any damage to it. The temperature of plasma isn't determined by its mass. It's possible for Plasma A to produce a higher temperature than a Plasma B eventhough the amount of Plasma A is less than Plasma B.
                The plasma was a secondary effect of the naquadah explosion. My point in noting it was not to say that the plasma would or would not have been hot enough to destroy the gate. My point was the Stargate survived an explosion so massive that it radically transformed the planet. They detonated a weapons grade naquadah bomb a relatively short distance from the Stargate, which set off a planetary wide explosion that transformed the planet into a ball of plasma. If neither the explosion from the naquadah bomb or the planetary explosion could destroy a gate, it's unlikely that an exploding Goa'uld ship would.

Further, that Earth invented the Mark IX naquadria enhanced nuclear warhead for the sole purpose of destroying Stargates means that they knew their existing weapons couldn't get the job done. Although not shown or referenced on screen, they're not going to devote time, energy, and resources to building the Mark IX if they hadn't already tried and failed to destroy a gate by detonating their twelve hundred megatons naquadah enhanced warheads right next to a gate.
                Last edited by Xaeden; 16 September 2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X