Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Bluray Collection (VEI - SG1, Atlantis, and Universe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Bluray Collection (VEI - SG1, Atlantis, and Universe)

I haven't posted on here in a long time, but with the recent Bluray announcements, wanted to put this on the site for anyone interested.

As many fans have been discussing over the past few weeks, VEI (Visual Entertainment Incorporated) has started releasing SG1 on Bluray for the first time, as well as re-releasing Atlantis on Bluray, and now Stargate Universe on Bluray (season 1 and season 2 never before released).

You can now also order all 3 series on Bluray for a limited time. VEI is advertising the set for a limited time price of $199.99 USD. Link and details below.

I ordered mine last night - will post back pics for anyone interested once it arrives.

https://www.visualentertainment.tv/p...33061106548841

StargateCollectionBD_800x.jpg

(Also available on DVD for those interested -- https://www.visualentertainment.tv/c...32950064316521)

There's already a thread on these sets: BR Region 1 Stargate

Limited to the USA/Canada -- unless you have a region-free player. Does BR do regions?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The box cover doesn't like that nice. Just tell us about the picture quality if it is worth of buying it (again).
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Does BR do regions?
        Of course they do. What? You think these companies, both studios (MGM) and distributors (VEI), actually care about the fans?

BD is even worse than DVDs. Many (most?) DVD players could have their region lock changed or reconfigured/modded to region-free easily, or at least cheaply. BD players, however, are far more secured due to licensing. You can only really buy region-free BD players that have been "professionally" modded, and they are far from cheap, possibly 4x than their unmodded version.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
          Of course they do. What? You think these companies, both studios (MGM) and distributors (VEI), actually care about the fans?
          Of course, they do.

Anywho, for anyone outside of the Region 1 territory interested in buying this box (which I still think looks like an iffy deal to me), it should be noted that they don't ship outside the USA and Canada.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...ay-first-time/

I am more interested in picture quality. They won't convert s1-s7, so it won't change too much even with some autowhateverupdate. I am not really good at this technical stuff.

Has the COTG : Final cut been released on Blue-Ray? Because I believe it wasn't.

My Hungarian SG fan collects the different releases. The main attraction will be the Stargate : Universe S2 release on Blue-ray. I believe he told me it was released in Germany (or just on DVD?), but it hasn't been in the UK or USA. MGM was basically bleeding out near the bankrupt, so they have never bothered to treat fans right and most importantly equal.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

https://youtu.be/x0KBoQZqgcQ

Darren and David have talked a lot about these Blue-ray boxes from VEI. The gates are wrong on bith boxes. SG-1 has got only 8 chevrons and repeated symbols. Universe has got the back part of the gate, the 7th chevron is not on the top, no other chevron on the right. UglyPig has mentioned the 5.1 audio is messed up. So that is a massive NO from me so far. This is insolence. We can only hope fans will make better covers or the shows will be released by the new owner of the rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                So that is a massive NO from me so far.
                You're in the UK and they don't ship outside the USA and Canada, so they made that decision for you.

Comment

They almost got me!!!!!! A few weeks back I was going to buy it. Amazon had a listing for what I thought was an excellent price, I think it was $79.99. It said Blu-Ray, but I noticed the format said DVD before I made the purchase. Looks like that error has been corrected.

NO WAY I am paying over a hundred for this after what I've read. So upsetting. I highly doubt there will ever be a proper Blu-Ray release, so I'll hope I can find this for $60 or $70 in a few months.

Comment

I've been reading the thread over on Blu-ray.com: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=335119. People posted some PNGs from both S1 and S10. The pre-HD episodes are definitely upscaled, but it does look pretty clean. Edges are "soft", which is what you get with upscaling, but it's clean with rather little noise. The S10 stills look like they are the HD episodes. However, they also have a lot of criticism about VEI. So far, this release is half-and-half. The quality appears great, but it being Region A and US/Canada only, it's useless for international fans.

EDIT: Apparently people are having serious issues with a botched 5.1 audio track for SG-1 S2 onward, where channels are duplicated to create a "widened" stereo sound instead of correct 5.1.
                    Last edited by NickEast; 20 January 2021, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I've seen comments on their Viper edition -- they were less than kind.

Comment

I'm not about to pay over $100 US dollars for the blue-ray disks myself, because when I watch a regular DVD and then a blue-ray one, I literally can't see the difference! I also heard that they aren't as good in quality as they should be, either. But what I'm wondering is this...

When I first bought the SG-1 DVD's of Season 1, I discovered that several episodes featuring Apophis had no sound at all. I could watch the show, but I couldn't hear anything. Then I got Season 7, and found that first the episode two-parter Heroes, then Lost City (both parts), wouldn't play at all! They were a garbled mess! I've tried to contact MGM directly, but I don't know how to do that or who to talk to there about that. What I'm wondering is that were my DVD's the only one's to be bad, or were ALL the DVD's bad like mine? Also, now that the blue-ray ones are out, are they bad as well in those seasons and episodes? Anyone with info for me would be greatly appreciated!
                        Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                        (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

You should read the article on the main page. Darren made a pretty good description on what is good and less then great with the sets.

As far as contacting distributors goes, I know that the region 2 distribution of the DVD sets was done by Fox Home Entertainment (not MGM directly), so it depends on the the distribution agent whom to contact about such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            As far as contacting distributors goes, I know that the region 2 distribution of the DVD sets was done by Fox Home Entertainment (not MGM directly), so it depends on the the distribution agent whom to contact about such things.
                            Not sure about the Region 1 DVD's but you were right, FH. This is the first season of SG1 that I bought several years ago while shopping our local Wal-Mart...

When I looked it up online at Wal-Mart's website, it said, right alongside the description, '20th Century Fox Home Entertainment' However, when I did a Yahoo search of it, it said,"On March 20, 2019, The Walt Disney Company acquired 21st Century Fox, and as a result, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's operations were folded into Disney's own home entertainment division. It now operates as a label of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, and also releases titles from other studios it has prior distribution deals with."

So I went to Google and searched, and found the website foxconnect.com, saying this... "Thank you for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please go to www.FoxMovies.com or your preferred Blu Ray/DVD/Digital retailer to purchase your favorite 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment titles. For consumer questions or concerns, please call 1-888-223-4369."

I really don't want to call them, as I'd just rather write them instead. So what can I or should I do now?

P.S. Do you see the image at the bottom of the last text? It's supposed to be an emoticon shrugging it's shoulders. The GIF moves on imgur, but not here. Why is that?
                            Last edited by imzadi35; 25 January 2021, 08:56 PM.
                            Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                            (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                              So I went to Google and searched, and found the website foxconnect.com, saying this...

"Thank you for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please go to www.FoxMovies.com or your preferred Blu Ray/DVD/Digital retailer to purchase your favorite 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment titles. For consumer questions or concerns, please call 1-888-223-4369."
                              I'm not a fan of calling anyone on the phone, so I'm the last person to ask this, but I would probably turn that website upside down until I found an emailaddy to mail to or a contact-form.

If none available, it would take several hours of complete anxiety before picking up the phone anyway.

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post

P.S. Do you see the image at the bottom of the last text? It's supposed to be an emoticon shrugging it's shoulders. The GIF moves on imgur, but not here. Why is that?
                              No idea... setting of the image perhaps...

Comment

Working...
                              X