Are You Being Served discussion and appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are You Being Served discussion and appreciation

One of my favorite comedies of all time does not come from from America, but from England. It also doesn't come from the present, but from the 70's and 80's. What is it, you ask? It's called, Are You Being Served?, and I've discovered it's hilarious!

Executive producers David Croft and Jeremy Lloyd created the show that was set in 1970's London, England. It follows the misadventures and mishaps of the staff of the retail ladies' and gentlemen's clothing departments in the fictional department store, Grace Brothers.

I discovered it a long time ago, and just last week, I got the DVD set with all 69 episodes on it. I've been watching it from the beginning, and I can't stop laughing! It's so funny! So here in this thread you can discuss all the episodes and also show your appreciation for the show as well.

Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
    (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Jeez Imzadi you are bringing out one of the golden oldies with this one!!
    I think this is one of the first times we see a positive role model of a gay person in Mr Humphries and two very strong female leads. Are you being served was a staple show of my childhood.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You must live in England, Gatefan. I know it's a golden oldie, but it's still hilarious! Especially when Mrs. Slocombe talked about her 'pussy'. LOL!

For me growing up, we had three channels. CBS, ABC, and Public TV, with shows like Masterpiece Theater, and This Old House, to name a couple of them. And one of the shows they showed for awhile was Are You Being Served? That's where I learned about Captain Peacock, the haughty floorwalker, as well as Mr. Lucas, the young, penniless, womanizing junior sales clerk in the gent's department, and all the others at Grace Brothers. I watched a few episodes, and soon I was laughing so hard my sides hurt!

I read once that when they wrote the episodes and did the show, John Inman's character Mr. Humphries wasn't exactly gay, but they wrote the dialog so that it was implied that he was. However, I know that Mr. Inman WAS gay, and when he died he left his civil partner his entire estate.

I just started watching it all on my DVD's from the beginning, and love every minute of it!

Comment

No mate, I'm an Aussie, but so much of our humor is based on English comedy shows. I grew up on stuff like are you being served.

Watch stuff like "Kingswood Country" and you will know what I mean
        (no link, have to find that one yourself, because to say it is non PC would be kind)
        sigpic

Comment

Here is one That I can share, and this comes from my 94 year old Grandmother

sigpic

Comment

Gatefan, have you ever heard of 4-H here in the States? If not, here you go..,. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-H

I ask because one of my 4-H club leaders was from Australia, but she married an American and had three kids. She and her family then moved back to Australia soon after I got out of 4-H. I don't know where they are now, though.

Also, I looked up Kingswood Country on Wikipedia online, and it looks interesting! I'll have to watch an episode or two on YouTube later this week.

Comment

Make sure you watch the out-takes as well, they show that all the racial ribbing is all in jest.
              sigpic

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I love this show! I've been rewatching a few episodes here and there through streaming service Acorn. Still funny.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Here you go!

Comment

Working...
                    X