Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Novel Questions

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/...ing-order.html

1 .According to that timeline, it has the TOS Novel Allegiance in Exile in the DS9 Backstory category and Memory Alpha says it links to the DS9 relaunch series. So, is this something I should read before I start my timeline or does it not matter?

2. According to that timeline, it has a dotted/dashed line from Stitch in Time (DS9) to the novel Cardassia and Andor. So, is Stitch in Time a necessary read or is it something I can skip because it was in my required reading before I start my timeline list until I found out how much a used copy of the book was?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
    https://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/...ing-order.html

1 .According to that timeline, it has the TOS Novel Allegiance in Exile in the DS9 Backstory category and Memory Alpha says it links to the DS9 relaunch series. So, is this something I should read before I start my timeline or does it not matter?

2. According to that timeline, it has a dotted/dashed line from Stitch in Time (DS9) to the novel Cardassia and Andor. So, is Stitch in Time a necessary read or is it something I can skip because it was in my required reading before I start my timeline list until I found out how much a used copy of the book was?
    Here's some answers.

If you're doing a DS9 relaunch read, don't worry about either of these books. Allegiance in Exile connects to the DS9 relaunch in only the most academic of ways (all I can say without spoiling the book, I'm afraid) and A Stitch in Time is frequently included in the DS9 relaunch just because it's "set" (I use that term loosely) post-DS9 series finale, but doesn't include much in the way of ties to the relaunch narrative. Personally, I identify Stitch more as a spiritual prequel to Una McCormack's excellent Cardassian saga (highly recommended!), which itself is more of a sub-set of stories & novels within the DS9 relaunch series.

Both of the novels in question are intended to be stand-alone stories (with peripheral connections to the DS9 relaunch) but are completely unnecessary parts of a DS9 relaunch reading order. Both are solid entries in Treklit that I recommend reading to anyone interested, but wholly optional in the larger story sense.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
      Here's some answers.

If you're doing a DS9 relaunch read, don't worry about either of these books. Allegiance in Exile connects to the DS9 relaunch in only the most academic of ways (all I can say without spoiling the book, I'm afraid) and A Stitch in Time is frequently included in the DS9 relaunch just because it's "set" (I use that term loosely) post-DS9 series finale, but doesn't include much in the way of ties to the relaunch narrative. Personally, I identify Stitch more as a spiritual prequel to Una McCormack's excellent Cardassian saga (highly recommended!), which itself is more of a sub-set of stories & novels within the DS9 relaunch series.

Both of the novels in question are intended to be stand-alone stories (with peripheral connections to the DS9 relaunch) but are completely unnecessary parts of a DS9 relaunch reading order. Both are solid entries in Treklit that I recommend reading to anyone interested, but wholly optional in the larger story sense.

Hope that helps!
      Thanks that does help as I at one point saw a used copy of A Stitch in Time for over $100, so that's why I'm glad it's optional. Right now I am on the Before starting timeline read list of the timeline I created and reading the novel Immortal Coil. I will have to update it once I get To Lose the Earth, which better not be the last post Voyager novel. When I do update, I will post about it in my timeline thread.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Working...
      X