Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMAZON kills The Expanse

As of now (Dec 2020) Amazon is not planning on more seasons after the 6th

But both the cast and crew say there is plenty of story to tell and they are willing to do the work to find another network/streamer, to tell it on

why is this show such a "hot potato"?

Amazon, who picked up the series for seasons 4 and 5, and then renewed it for what they are billing as a final season 6. But how final is it?

Cast member Dominique Tipper, who plays Belter Naomi Nagata on the show slyly hinted at the possibility of a longer show life on another outlet when she joined castmates Steven Strait and Wes Chatham on EW Live (SiriusXM, channel 109). “Look, this is the end of the TV show on Amazon,” said Tipper. “So, we'll just have to see what happens.”

EW also spoke with showrunner Naren Shankar, and asked the executive producer whether there could be more life for The Expanse in the form of another channel or streaming outlet, much in the same way the show was rescued by Amazon after Syfy moved on from the project. “You know, honestly, that would be more of a question for our studio, for Alcon, says Shankar. “They control the property, but what I will say is that there's definitely more to tell

https://ew.com/tv/the-expanse-amazon...%20deserve.%22

One of the main stars on the show, Cas Anwar, messed up pretty badly (sexual misconduct) and was fired. So he won't be in the 6th season, which is due to start filming early this year. I've heard from several fans of the show that they can't bear the idea of watching even the 5th season, although that's admittedly anecdotal. It wrapped before the allegations were made public. But the 6th season is due to start filming early in 2021 (covid permitting), without Anwar.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      One of the main stars on the show, Cas Anwar, messed up pretty badly (sexual misconduct) and was fired. So he won't be in the 6th season, which is due to start filming early this year. I've heard from several fans of the show that they can't bear the idea of watching even the 5th season, although that's admittedly anecdotal. It wrapped before the allegations were made public. But the 6th season is due to start filming early in 2021 (covid permitting), without Anwar.
      interesting.. i dont know why someone would watch/not watch because someone is now longer in the show

if that were a thing then the walkingd ead would have been done a long time ago with all the cast changes in it

as for what Anvar did/may have did, from what i can find he is only accused of it, yes? Has he been arrested or has he admitted to anything? I mean 75% of hollywood could be accused of doing SOMETHING wrong

for me and a few ppl i know, S4 was kind of a rough watch. i never read any of the books, but for those who have, they say the season departed for the source material a good bit. The season also bowed to a lot of socia ljustice issues with the "super female" characters. like near the end where ever male character ,except for Holden, was shown as either useless, a fool, or evil and the women saved everyone.. So far, that doesn't seem to be present in this season

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
        As of now (Dec 2020) Amazon is not planning on more seasons after the 6th

But both the cast and crew say there is plenty of story to tell and they are willing to do the work to find another network/streamer, to tell it on

why is this show such a "hot potato"?

https://ew.com/tv/the-expanse-amazon...%20deserve.%22
        As I recall Amazon only really agreed to do a max of three seasons any how. It is understandably an expensive show and shows only get more expensive as they go along but it earned a lot of points for getting a lot of press for being like the sci-fi "Game of Thrones". Chances are the Expanse writers probably pitched where they would go with the show for those three seasons and have a good idea in their heads of how to wrap things up for then. Which will likely fill up the show up to the point in the books where there is the big 20-30 year time skip which honestly I don't really fancy covering on screen so much.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        I don't think it has anything to do with Cas, but that whole thing does suck cos I used to really like the guy until all that came out. I have to admit that these first few episodes of season 5 where he seems to be getting screwed over constantly have been fairly cathartic viewing.

interesting.. i dont know why someone would watch/not watch because someone is now longer in the show

if that were a thing then the walkingd ead would have been done a long time ago with all the cast changes in it

as for what Anvar did/may have did, from what i can find he is only accused of it, yes? Has he been arrested or has he admitted to anything? I mean 75% of hollywood could be accused of doing SOMETHING wrong

for me and a few ppl i know, S4 was kind of a rough watch. i never read any of the books, but for those who have, they say the season departed for the source material a good bit. The season also bowed to a lot of socia ljustice issues with the "super female" characters. like near the end where ever male character ,except for Holden, was shown as either useless, a fool, or evil and the women saved everyone.. So far, that doesn't seem to be present in this season

He hasn't been arrested or anything but he's been accused by a good number of women for being rather improper. Notably by fans at conventions who were there to meet him who have no reason to lie or have anything to gain. Basically it isn't a good look for the show or Amazon to keep him on.
        As for season 4... Well... I personally really liked it but it was a departure in tone from the rest of the series so I can see why some may not. It did depart a bit from the books, but in my view not massively (and the female characters involved are basically the same in the books, with the exception of Drummer who is given a much more prominent role throughout the whole series. Ultimately the show is still written by the same guys who write the books so this isn't a GoT situation. They make creative choices that fit a television medium better than a written one and so far I've found their adaptation to be spot on for the most part in taking the best from the books but keeping the stuff they don't need out.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          As I recall Amazon only really agreed to do a max of three seasons any how. It is understandably an expensive show and shows only get more expensive as they go along but it earned a lot of points for getting a lot of press for being like the sci-fi "Game of Thrones". Chances are the Expanse writers probably pitched where they would go with the show for those three seasons and have a good idea in their heads of how to wrap things up for then. Which will likely fill up the show up to the point in the books where there is the big 20-30 year time skip which honestly I don't really fancy covering on screen so much.

I don't think it has anything to do with Cas, but that whole thing does suck cos I used to really like the guy until all that came out. I have to admit that these first few episodes of season 5 where he seems to be getting screwed over constantly have been fairly cathartic viewing.

He hasn't been arrested or anything but he's been accused by a good number of women for being rather improper. Notably by fans at conventions who were there to meet him who have no reason to lie or have anything to gain. Basically it isn't a good look for the show or Amazon to keep him on.
          As for season 4... Well... I personally really liked it but it was a departure in tone from the rest of the series so I can see why some may not. It did depart a bit from the books, but in my view not massively (and the female characters involved are basically the same in the books, with the exception of Drummer who is given a much more prominent role throughout the whole series. Ultimately the show is still written by the same guys who write the books so this isn't a GoT situation. They make creative choices that fit a television medium better than a written one and so far I've found their adaptation to be spot on for the most part in taking the best from the books but keeping the stuff they don't need out.

i have been told by book readers is that if they pressed on with more seasons they would outrun the source material,, a GOT's situation with Martin not finishing the last book

last seasons issues some of us had been discussing elsewhere (where they are hardcore expanse fans- mainly the books) was when that teenage girl from the planet stowed away on the Belter ship and in a matter of a few eps she is basically in charge of the ship. hard to believe when on the surface she was begging to go to school so she could learn basic stuff

they also said that in the books Naomi never went to the surface due to her being an untreated belter and couldn't deal with the gravity. STRONG WOMEN everywhere

this kind of sjw knee bending to the real world i blame amazon for, not the show runners. probably some amazon exec's feminist girlfriend came on set and said "honey i'd be super happy if their were fierce women in this show"

Comment

i have been told by book readers is that if they pressed on with more seasons they would outrun the source material,, a GOT's situation with Martin not finishing the last book

last seasons issues some of us had been discussing elsewhere (where they are hardcore expanse fans- mainly the books) was when that teenage girl from the planet stowed away on the Belter ship and in a matter of a few eps she is basically in charge of the ship. hard to believe when on the surface she was begging to go to school so she could learn basic stuff

they also said that in the books Naomi never went to the surface due to her being an untreated belter and couldn't deal with the gravity. STRONG WOMEN everywhere

this kind of sjw knee bending to the real world i blame amazon for, not the show runners. probably some amazon exec's feminist girlfriend came on set and said "honey i'd be super happy if their were fierce women in this show"
            Trust me, even if Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck had been asked they would have been totally cool with it. They write both the books and the show so the changes they make are for the purposes of adjusting to the different media. Which in season 4 is done for the sake of smoothing along the story. Because Naomi isn't strong enough to be on the planet. She forces herself to go down and suffers for it. She almost dies just from being there for a day or two. It gives us a story about her that was all internalized conflict in the book and also affords more screen time with her with the rest of the cast which is useful from a production stand point it gives you more bang for your buck on location shoots. It also provides us with a very clear view point character for why belters can't live easily on this planet in the first place. Which to fans is obvious but to people new to the show who have just joined on Amazon or maybe haven't watched the show for a while it is worthy of a reminder.
            As for the Belter daughter, sure that is hard to swallow but it again has a clear production benefit of not needing to cast more expensive actors for other Belter roles when hers and her mothers story was the one they wanted to tell. They wanted to tell the story of their conflict and how they bonded over this huge crisis despite being on separate ships. That meant that they both needed to be on centre stage.

Comment

By coincidence they posted this to twitter at the same time I posted my last reply.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/sta...85399587454976

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                By coincidence they posted this to twitter at the same time I posted my last reply.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/sta...85399587454976
                yeah,, well i am nowhere near the 'anti sjw guy who hate the show"

female characters in movies and shows having significant parts and doing significant things has been around for a long long time. in the early Bond films, ST TOS, UFO, SPCE 1999 even ULTRAMAN!

The negative aspect arises when TPTB's go out of their way to make a statement that is so obviously done to placate current social-political issues. this is a hard lesson that is currently being learned by many TPTBS-- like say Kathleen Kennedy for one

there have been female characters in SW's from the start, but she had to go over the top to make a statement and we got stuff like Admirals in ball gowns and fierce scavenger girl with immediate and refined force powers

they need to get back to making shows and telling stories without any real world msg's. ppl want to be entertained, not preached to

Comment

Just for clarification his name is Cas Anvar, there's no `w` in his name.

There sounds like there was evidence in the form of screenshots and transcripts of conversations or messages he sent the accusers.

I like season 4, being on the planet and all. And Naomi being on the planet was a process they started when visiting Earth. They started giving her injections on the ship all through their trip to the gate and then the planet. And even then they said that was cutting it close meaning she may not recover enough to make it planetside.

As others have said, the show will depart from the books because the studio wants to get the most bang for their buck in terms of the main cast of characters they hired as well as the characters that fans are invested in seeing.

As far as the complaint about the daughter, she was just coordinating the effort to create that steel wire connection between the ships. She just played her part as a crew member like anyone would do. I think it was Naomi who came up with a way to create a strong enough material and told the daughter how to do it.

The daughter was the only character we knew on that ship, so seeing her immediately let us know where the scene was taking place.

But I digress. I thought Amazon bought the rights to The Expanse, but it sounds like the studio still owns the rights. So hopefully, they provide some closure just in case they cannot find a way to continue.

The studio may face issues with trying to move the show to another network or service. If Amazon is producing the show they may have a contract that requires either the entire show or just season 4-6 so be on Prime, which a new network or service may not like.

It's down to the lawyers and the studio to make the best case they can.

Comment

I've never read the books so it doesn't really bother me about stuff like that.

I do think they did a bit of a disservice to Alex though by simply killing him off in the way they did, but I understand why it was done.

I don't have an issue with Season 6 being the last one though, I prefer my shows to go out well than slowly start to struggle to tell new stories and then fade away as a shadow of what they once were..

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                      I've never read the books so it doesn't really bother me about stuff like that.

I do think they did a bit of a disservice to Alex though by simply killing him off in the way they did, but I understand why it was done.

I don't have an issue with Season 6 being the last one though, I prefer my shows to go out well than slowly start to struggle to tell new stories and then fade away as a shadow of what they once were..
                      i have seen where they are going with a 6 episode final season. i never read the books, but those who have say its not enough eps and it will be rushed or much left out

Comment

Well we'll see..
                        Are they actually marking it as cancelled, or are they, as I have read there is a time gap in the books, going to revisit in X number of years, or is this really the end of decent Sci-Fi...

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                          Well we'll see..
                          Are they actually marking it as cancelled, or are they, as I have read there is a time gap in the books, going to revisit in X number of years, or is this really the end of decent Sci-Fi...
                          i have heard/read similar things (haven't read the books) on its possible continuation on yet ANOTHER STREAMING service

why AMZ doesn't want to pursue it, IDK

to me, it seems a perfect dovetail of fiction of near future potential "reality" with our current reality and endeavors like Bezos' Space Company ,etc

with that, there is this from the Authors/Show runners from a year ago, after they knew AMZ was done at 6

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/2...7-beyond-plans

Comment

I would love to see some movies or a miniseries to do the Laconian story.

Comment

Working...
                            X