Chapter 16: The Rescue (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
    The thing that bugged me was that the Skywalker story finished with RoS didn't it? We're in the outer rim, bring in another Jedi, we know they're out there.

You mean the Boba scene? Will be interesting to see where they take that. So now we have a Bo Katan/rebel lady (forgot her name) spinoff, an Ahsoka spin off AND continuation for Boba. There was another two series mentioned, think one could be Grogous training?
    the BOOK OF BOBA FETT is another new series coming next December, same time as MANDO S3 is scheduled to be out

those who have bought into the rumor that disney is going to ditch the new trilogy and make it like it never happened through the plot and story of these new shows, are using Luke's appearance here to back up that rumor.

but as it stands no CANON is what it is. and that is the Skywalkers are a failed and contrived family created by Palpatine. Everything Luke has ever done has been shown by the new trilogy to be ultimately to the benefit of Palpatine

but that is not why i didn't want to see anymore skywalkers.. the 'its a big galxy with a lot of stories" idea is why

using Luke to come in to a "small" story with "small" characters was nothing more than a classic dick-move, deus ex machina lazy writing event

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
      She has to win it in battle because she lost the respect of the Mandalorians when Gideon won it off her.
      That's why the Mandalorians won't follow her again until she wins it back.
      They follow whoever has the Saber but now they know she doesn't deserve to wield it.
      Well she just didn't lose the sabre she lost the whole Mandalorian Home planet and system!!

and there is nothing in canon that supports this, just like the whole 'Mandalorians can't take off their helmets" thing in s1, another forced bit of drama-forcing against the established canon

in REBELS Sabine Wren had won the sabre in combat, she then handed it over to Bo Katan in front of a huge crowd of other Mandalorians without hesitation she took it

After the mission to destroy Sabine's weapon, Sabine again offered the Darksaber to Bo-Katan, stating the veteran had the wisdom and guidance of a true leader, and believed she (Sabine) had found the Darksaber because she was meant to pass it on to Bo-Katan. After several clans, including Wren, swore loyalty to Clan Kryze, Bo-Katan accepted the Darksaber and became the true and rightful leader of Mandalore.
      https://starwarsrebels.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber

Comment

The nature of what Sabine said and what Din said regarding the dark sabre are essentially the same. Only Din cares far less and has no knowledge of the issue

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
          Was it Mark Hamill de-aged or did they use another actor?
          Last of the cast credits said Mark Hamill, so it was him.

I am not as picky as some, I just sit back & enjoy the story. As I have stated before, I have only watched the movies (Star Wars 1 -9, Rogue 1 & Solo) so I know nothing of all the characters you bring into the discussion.
          I do know there are more Jedi around, so maybe it might have been better if one of Grogu's kind had have come to collect him. More reassuring for him.

Moving along, do we think Mando will go back to the outer rim bounty hunting, or go to Mandalore as the leader, or roam around with a bunch of Mandalirians fighting the Empire/First Order (wherever they are upto in the time frame)?
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

This was another actor who had Mark's younger face CG'ed onto him, and then Mark provided the voice.

I think it makes total sense that it's Luke who shows up for Grogu in the end. After Ahsoka refused the job of training him, there aren't many options left on the table for living Jedi who are around and in any position to do it. They'd either have to create a brand new character (and then explain how this person survived Order 66, and where s/he has been hiding during the Emperor's reign), or simply have no one show up at the end of the season ... making the whole "Sit on the rock and reach out through the Force" story thread go nowhere.

The Mandalorian is roughly 5 years after ROTJ, so at this point Luke is probably thinking about the future of the Jedi order, and training Leia (or trying to convince her). It's also been long enough that her training might be over, and Ben may have been born.

But I don't think the school has been set up yet.

Clearly, Grogu is eventually going to become one of the Knights of Ren.

I did want one more line from Bo-Katan on the Dark Sabre. Sabine gave her the sabre in a not dissimilar way. She could have said here that she tried to possess it once this way before, and it didn't work out. Let's get a hint as to how things went south for her after Rebels, and how Gideon came to possess the sabre.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
              Now I am confused (but that is nothing unusual) but aren't the Knights of Ren the followers of Kylo Ren and the dark side?
              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

@magi Canon? Heh. Canon is what Disney wants
                They've been changing and expanding it for the past few years. And let me tell you, they're doing a very good job at making everything justifiable.

@Darren well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  This was another actor who had Mark's younger face CG'ed onto him, and then Mark provided the voice.

I think it makes total sense that it's Luke who shows up for Grogu in the end. After Ahsoka refused the job of training him, there aren't many options left on the table for living Jedi who are around and in any position to do it. They'd either have to create a brand new character (and then explain how this person survived Order 66, and where s/he has been hiding during the Emperor's reign), or simply have no one show up at the end of the season ... making the whole "Sit on the rock and reach out through the Force" story thread go nowhere.

The Mandalorian is roughly 5 years after ROTJ, so at this point Luke is probably thinking about the future of the Jedi order, and training Leia (or trying to convince her). It's also been long enough that her training might be over, and Ben may have been born.

But I don't think the school has been set up yet.

I did want one more line from Bo-Katan on the Dark Sabre. Sabine gave her the sabre in a not dissimilar way. She could have said here that she tried to possess it once this way before, and it didn't work out. Let's get a hint as to how things went south for her after Rebels, and how Gideon came to possess the sabre.
                  Mandalorian is set in 9aby and wookiepedia has Ben Solo birth in 5aby, so he is 4 yrs old "now"

Ahsoka used the excuse of not being able to train him on 'jedi' reasons, her real reason is because how is she going to care for Grogu-who can barely walk, while she is in the middle of hunting down Thrawn? we know this is the reason from REBELS end scene and from her dialogue with Morgan Elsbeth

given the nature of how the jedi order was set up, there were dozens or more Jedi who would not have been with any clone troopers or on Coruscant at order 66. they could have been out exploring with the Jedi Explorer corps or seeking out potential padawan, etc. All would have gotten Kenobi's warning to keep away from Jedi sites and Clone troopers

also, REBELS, CLONE WARS, and the Mandalorian have all puled characters, weapons and other items out of LEGENDS -like they did with the jedi temple on Tython

points being there were other options.. using Luke was just lazy writing and a cheap way of achieving fan service with R2D2 as the cherry on top

additionally, as i stated, the mandalorain is a great show in part because it focuses on small unknown characters with the occasional cameo by other known to us but not galactic level characters. the story was "small" but at the same time expanded the overall SW's story by exploring other issues that DID not involve the heavy hitters from the films

bringing in Luke made that galaxy small again and using him is a definite deus ex machina cheap shot.... they may have well have brought in HAn Solo and Chewbacca too!

i hope they continue on as they had been. no more lazy cheap attempts at fan service

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                    Mandalorian is set in 9aby and wookiepedia has Ben Solo birth in 5aby, so he is 4 yrs old "now"

Ahsoka used the excuse of not being able to train him on 'jedi' reasons, her real reason is because how is she going to care for Grogu-who can barely walk, while she is in the middle of hunting down Thrawn? we know this is the reason from REBELS end scene and from her dialogue with Morgan Elsbeth

given the nature of how the jedi order was set up, there were dozens or more Jedi who would not have been with any clone troopers or on Coruscant at order 66. they could have been out exploring with the Jedi Explorer corps or seeking out potential padawan, etc. All would have gotten Kenobi's warning to keep away from Jedi sites and Clone troopers

also, REBELS, CLONE WARS, and the Mandalorian have all puled characters, weapons and other items out of LEGENDS -like they did with the jedi temple on Tython

points being there were other options.. using Luke was just lazy writing and a cheap way of achieving fan service with R2D2 as the cherry on top

additionally, as i stated, the mandalorain is a great show in part because it focuses on small unknown characters with the occasional cameo by other known to us but not galactic level characters. the story was "small" but at the same time expanded the overall SW's story by exploring other issues that DID not involve the heavy hitters from the films

bringing in Luke made that galaxy small again and using him is a definite deus ex machina cheap shot.... they may have well have brought in HAn Solo and Chewbacca too!

i hope they continue on as they had been. no more lazy cheap attempts at fan service
                    It didn't feel cheap at all. It made perfect sense, Luke is THE Jedi now. He's the one looking to train the new generation and carry on the legacy while other known Jedi like Ahsoka and Ezra have their own missions going on. Going into this episode I was actually struggling to think how they'd bring in any Jedi other than Luke without it feeling forced or confusing for casual viewers because there are many that watch the show who have never seen Clone Wars or Rebels.
                    When the Ahsoka episode happened I was so excited like most fans of her were but my partner who has only ever seen the movies was really not getting into it. Like they saw Ahsoka as a necessity to have just a random jedi show up as an explainer because Mark Hamil is too old to play a major role and when I explained that Ahsoka was significant because she was Anakin's apprentice they were like "When did he have an apprentice? That makes no sense." Which... Well that was the big complaint people had when Clone Wars first came out really. So while having say Ezra or Cal turn up might have emotional weight for us as fans of the whole franchise, it would mean nothing to casual viewers.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      It didn't feel cheap at all. It made perfect sense, Luke is THE Jedi now. He's the one looking to train the new generation and carry on the legacy while other known Jedi like Ahsoka and Ezra have their own missions going on. Going into this episode I was actually struggling to think how they'd bring in any Jedi other than Luke without it feeling forced or confusing for casual viewers because there are many that watch the show who have never seen Clone Wars or Rebels.
                      When the Ahsoka episode happened I was so excited like most fans of her were but my partner who has only ever seen the movies was really not getting into it. Like they saw Ahsoka as a necessity to have just a random jedi show up as an explainer because Mark Hamil is too old to play a major role and when I explained that Ahsoka was significant because she was Anakin's apprentice they were like "When did he have an apprentice? That makes no sense." Which... Well that was the big complaint people had when Clone Wars first came out really. So while having say Ezra or Cal turn up might have emotional weight for us as fans of the whole franchise, it would mean nothing to casual viewers.
                      sure, maybe.. but there are so many other parts of Mandalorian that casual viewers would not know--- just what is the dark saber? Cobb Vanth? Why do the Mandalorians like Bo Katan hate the Empire SO much?(being the Purge which has not ben shown on screen yet) Why is the Krayt Dragon so important to Tusken culture? etc

and we know there are other Jedi now.. those who were Jedi before Luke was-and not Ahsoka or Ezra as they are not actual Jedi. As I had said, all of these shows have done a lot of taking from LEGENDS so why not keep the story small and take some more? They could have brought in any number of actual Jedi--some would argue that Luke is no Jedi either as he was "shaked and baked" by Yoda to get him back into the fight

I get why so many people like that Luke was used- and his appearance is not going to make me dislike anything OTHER THAN THAT SCENE HE WAS IN-- his use was for emotional fan service... on the real world side, just think of how many more casual viewers will by a sub to Disney+ now?

And he is not known to even the casual viewers!! i take it its young ppl who only know the new trilogy.. i saw web search results today answering questions to "Who was the Jedi that came and got Grogu?" WHAT?!?!

Good thing is, I don't think they will be using him again, or at least not much, as the process they used is hard to pass the character off as a real person. If they did intend on more Luke in these shows, then you'd think they would have found a new actor by now? and given how so many ppl DID NOT know who he was given the search traffic, it probably would have been fine to pick another actor by now

I am just looking forward to the next year.. I think its looking as if there is going to be a LOT of other SW's shows on DISNEY between now and next Mando season-may even be why they bumped it back 2 months from Oct to Dec release. i know much of S3 is filmed, I read an article in the spring where they stated the tptb's were taking advantage in the covid19 restrictions loosening at that time to get as much filmed as possible

I AM POSTIVE that Mandalorian will move on to a new mission for Din and the crew.. speaking of, he still doesn't have a ship, will we see him and the other Mandalorians bunking up on the cruiser for awhile? Bo Katan has an army out there somewhere-- lets see them

Comment

Working...
                      X