• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terra Firma, Part 2 (310)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON THREE
    TERRA FIRMA, PART 2
    EPISODE NUMBER - 310
    Having returned to the Mirror Universe, Empress Georgiou attempts to convert Michael to a new way of seeing things — and must come to terms with how she herself has changed, too.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 22 December 2020, 10:55 PM.

Wow! Nice callback to older ST.
    I'm guessing this was all done to let Georgiou be on that section 31 spinoff.

Also I liked the callback to DS9 and the coalition.

Comment

Looks like it... Why does the Admiral seem very suspicious about this ship trapped...

Comment

has every right to be.

Comment

Is there a break for Christmas now?

Comment

I'm finding there to be fewer and fewer reasons to watch. These last two episodes were rather awful.

Yet another episode where a cast member leaves, and most of the action revolves around Michael Burnham.

Vance was good. His issues with Saru are valid, and his concerns about the tech which Booker has put on board Discovery are also very valid.

Saru continues down the road of being demoted, or otherwise heading to a character arc where he must prove himself as a captain to everyone (Vance, SF, the crew of Discovery, and of most importance, ...to Michael Burnham, who would already have forgiven Saru for not being as awesome as Michael Burnham).

Booker is indeed being set up as the new engineering guy. So, does this mean that Booker gets to leave his ship taking up space in the shuttle bay, unless the story requires that he conveniently left it back at SF Command?

Discovery on a rescue mission:
            * Detmer - Captain, we can't stay here for much longer! The (awful space danger) will kill us all, and destroy everything for 100 light years if we don't leave in the next 30 seconds.
            *Saru - Understood, Lieutenant. How long will it take to tractor beam the refugee ship to our shuttle bay?
            * Detmer - 20 seconds Captain. But we can't do it. Booker's ship is taking up all the available room, and if we eject his ship out into space then the writers can never use it for any future stories!
            *Saru - Damn, I'm going to catch hell for this from Michael Burnham! Alright, have Booker's ship removed from the shuttle bay, and bring in the refugee ship.
            *Detmer - Captain, we can't, Grudge is still on board!

The Guardian re-do was telegraphed (no big deal there). I didn't find the "other" universe events all that interesting. I thought alternate Detmer was done well, while she lasted.

The producers are/were trying to make Georgiou somewhat more palatable for the supposed "Section 31" show, but I'm not buying that she became a lot more warm and fuzzy (in Trek terms) than when she last left Discovery (yes, it was 3 months in this pocket universe created by the Guardian). If she becomes more like first season Georgiou then this spin-off will be less interesting.

The end scene, with all the folks who matter (and a few cast extras to fill the room up), attending a wake for Georgiou rang kind of hollow for me. I didn't get the sense that (outside of MB) anyone liked or cared about Georgiou, and the celebration was one of relief. When I saw this scene, what first popped into my head was this scene from "Thor: Dark World" (MB is Thor, Selvig could represent any other member of the crew of Discovery):

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              Is there a break for Christmas now?
              There is not. Next episode is Christmas Eve \ Christmas Day depending on your location.

Really enjoyed this episode and the two parter in general. Not really much to say about it. It was just a well acted examination of Georgiou. Really looking forward to Section 31 now.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So, anyone else (other than Teddy, Kil, P-90 and myself) have anything to say about this show (in general), or this episode (in particular)?

Come on in, the water is fine...

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                X