• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scavengers (306)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON THREE
    SCAVENGERS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 306
    Burnham and Georgiou act against orders to go in search of Book, who has become a slave laborer on a salvage planet run by Emerald Chain — where he says he has found a "black box" that survived the Burn.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 24 November 2020, 10:25 PM.

A solid if slightly flawed episode. All of the kind of points in the A plot felt a bit predictable with how Bunrham and Georgiou infiltrated and rescued Book. It was all good but just a little predictable.

The character moments are what are really making this season. The stuff with Adira and Stamets is gold. The scenes with Tilly are gold. The scenes between Saru and Burnham and Georgiou are perfect. I'm so glad that they're addressing head on the fatal flaw that Burnham has had throughout the show when it comes to taking authority on her own head and how Saru recognises that he was pushing for normalcy a little too soon with both himself and her.

The new upgrades to Discovery are really awesome and make sense. I know the A in the reg number is technically incorrect but I'm cool with it. It's more symbolic than anything else. I like how the detached nacelles are explained. And it was a joy seeing the bridge crew geek out over programmable matter and the new badges.

Otherwise. Lol and Grudge. Lol at Linus. **** yeah and Burnham and Book finally kissing.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The reptilian guy teleporting into all the scenes cracked me up

Comment

Two questions.

First - if time travel is now strictly verboten, who (if anyone) is keeping an eye on the Guardian of Forever?

Second - does Linus have an older sister, Lucy?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

When the Admiral asked Burnham to tell him what he was going to say to her, I half expected her to tell him something along the lines that she was okay with him being in charge of Star Fleet (at least for the day-to-day housekeeping stuff), and that she would be proud to take the position as his Number One and accept his orders, at least the ones which he had first cleared with her...

How does Burnham not get busted back to basic crewman status, assuming she somehow avoids an extended period in the brig, and then being drummed out of the Fleet? And how do they manage to steal Booker's ship, and of greater importance, how do they manage to do this without taking along the cat? I would imagine that Burnham would have some company on the demotion track for that screw up.

The new re-fit looks pretty shiny compared to the original design. The writers missed an obvious plot line where, for at least part of the episode the "crew", as in the faces we are familiar with, get some screen time. They could show off with regard to how bright they are while working with the re-fit teams, telling the future tech guys what would be a good interface and exchanging ideas, not just have the regular cast come in and be all agog like a bunch of kids on X-Mas morning. I got tired of Linus having trouble working his teleportation device after the first time (after that I figured it would become a running joke - the writers didn't disappoint me). If there was going to be this obvious schitck, just before the credits rolled, I'd have had it announced that there was a (medical) emergency that he had materialized into a bulkhead, and left it as a "WTF!?" moment for fans to mull over, whether he was dead or not.

And there should have been a hell of a lot more of Stamets working with some future techs regarding the spore drive, and a lot more about integrating it into the new systems of Discovery and the rest of the fleet. All we really see is Adira telling him that she updated the interface one afternoon while she had nothing to do and was bored (okay, maybe it took her all day), Still, the re-design and partial integration of the spore drive and Adira changing the interface could have made a fairly good A/B storyline for a bottle episode.

And why is Adira still on Discovery, other than for plot reasons? There is the potential of a lot of intel clicking around between host and symbiote which I suspect Star Fleet would be reluctant to have lying around. Has Adira ever received some sort of rank, even cadet?

Otherwise, speaking of dilithium, what did happen to all of the "real dilithium" that was on board of Discovery (never mind the amount that Booker had/has)? The Earth forces would have/should have discovered it when they were doing their investigation of the ship, so why didn't they (at the very least) pause to report to their superiors about this significant cache? Did Star Fleet not discover it, and then acquire a certain amount (ie. take most of it) for powering other vessels and perhaps even the station? Or is all of that still sitting in a pile in Discovery's cargo hold? (I don't know, which is why I'm asking - I've missed some episodes, deliberately) I'm assuming that Discovery has kept enough to power and transport themselves via a warp drive, as well as keeping the option of using the spore drive.

B&B being a thing is kinda' "so what?" and the only real surprise is that some intensification in their relationship hadn't happened in episode one.

The "who is going to be the new executive officer?" question holds some interest, mostly because the show hasn't really put anyone forward more than anyone else as a logical choice. Nhan or Airiam would have been among the better choices, but they are no longer with the show. I've seen/heard opinions suggesting everyone from Nilsson to Tilly (LOL, wut!?) as possible candidates.

Scary thought, the most obvious choice should be Georgiou (based on character experience and rank - IIRC she holds the rank of full commander). Yes, it would/should never happen in a real world setting, but with this Trek, who knows? I suspect that there will be at least a suggestion of this, but it will likely be shut down by the character not wanting to take on the "boring" responsibilities of the role of an exec.

Which then leads to the next question - just what the heck does Georgiou do all day while she is on Discovery? What is her chain of command? Why does Saru have her on board, outside of for plot reasons?

regards,
          D.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            Otherwise, speaking of dilithium, what did happen to all of the "real dilithium" that was on board of Discovery (never mind the amount that Booker had/has)? The Earth forces would have/should have discovered it when they were doing their investigation of the ship, so why didn't they (at the very least) pause to report to their superiors about this significant cache?
            They hid it from Earth on Book's ship (he has technology that blocks it from 32nd century sensors). This generated the main point of tension in the episode. Saru was reticent to trust Book with their dilithium, the Titans assumed they were hiding dilithium based on how quickly they appeared on sensors and thus started threatening it while in orbit over Earth, and Burnham took Book's ship out of the hanger without permission so she could pretend to offer them the Discovery's dilithium while Saru had to piece together what she was doing.

It was revealed to the head Earth inspector that the Discovery had a hidden cache of dilithium when Burnham left the hanger with it, and she verbally expressed her surprise.

Did Star Fleet not discover it, and then acquire a certain amount (ie. take most of it) for powering other vessels and perhaps even the station? Or is all of that still sitting in a pile in Discovery's cargo hold? (I don't know, which is why I'm asking - I've missed some episodes, deliberately) I'm assuming that Discovery has kept enough to power and transport themselves via a warp drive, as well as keeping the option of using the spore drive.
            It hasn't been addressed what happened to their dilithium stores since they rejoined the Federation. There's no indication that the Federation has a shortage of manufactured dilithium, and presumably the Discovery can't be as easily robbed now the ship has been upgraded. As a consequence, it appears to have been dropped as a plot point, at least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
              The "who is going to be the new executive officer?" question holds some interest, mostly because the show hasn't really put anyone forward more than anyone else as a logical choice. Nhan or Airiam would have been among the better choices, but they are no longer with the show. I've seen/heard opinions suggesting everyone from Nilsson to Tilly (LOL, wut!?) as possible candidates.
              LOL! Doesn't Starfleet have to approve?

Comment

Yeah, so I guess we'll see what happens next week.. although I already know the answer as I'm writing this while the following episode is on my TV...

regards,
                D.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post
                  LOL! Doesn't Starfleet have to approve?
                  Not necessarily. Appointment of number one has always largely been up to the Captains themselves. Usually when a first officer is appointed to them it's due to a special circumstance such as there being limited options at the time. Hell even Sisko, while not asking for Kira specifically, requested a Bajoran national as his first officer so as a Commander and not a Captain he still had a choice in the matter.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X