• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far From Home (302)

Visit the Episode GuideSTAR TREK: DISCOVERY - SEASON THREE
    FAR FROM HOME
    EPISODE NUMBER - 302
    After Discovery crash-lands on an icy planet the weary crew attempts to effect repairs, while Saru and Tilly's attempt to contact the local miners puts them in the middle of a tense situation.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 November 2020, 10:04 PM.

This was also a great episode. I am impressed how the whole show looks like. Iceland is a beautiful location to shoot episodes. The special effects were unbelievable again, so the production value is set really high for any new scifi show to beat the Star Trek iscovery. I like how the Orville also wants to show us vfx battles and landscapes, so these two shows are fighting for the throne. I can only repeat myself that Brad Wright must ask for a bigger budget for the 4th Stargate series if he wants to stay in this visual league.

Next to the fancy look, the best part was the moral speech about the values of the Federation. Wow. I wish Tal wouldn't be killed as it was way too violent for my taste.

Somebody has said how Saru is moving his hands at walking. I have never noticed it before. Great body acting.

Georgiou is still my favorite. They write great lines for her like "what you call pain is only a foreplay for me" or something similar.

I love the new future setting and I can't wait to see how our heroes will turn the galaxy to their side step by step. This teleport-jumping colod be a bit annoying in long term, so we will see how it will serve the plots.

I am also guessing the spore drive will give them an unique advantage against any other ships, so it will be interesting if they dare to use that technology again.

I have to admit I have enjoyed this episode so much that I had to stand up to applause a few times for the makers. Movie quality. I am really amazed.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I first noticed Sarus arms in season 2 I think, must be a really annoying character trait for the actor lol

Comment

It's partially a byproduct of having to stand on the balls of his feet while wearing 5-inch heelless boots. To maintain his balance, he had to lean forward and found that this pushed his arms back. Rather than force them forward, he kept them there and added the side-to-side swing. I don't think it bothers him. He described it as giving his arms a "water-like fluidity" by letting them hang the loose. The boots, on the other hand, have to be grueling, especially during the tail end of a ~16 hour work day.

Comment

This may well be the best ST: D episode yet. This being said, the bar was set really, really low... really.

It's early morning, and I'm still sleepy, but there are things that bugged me about this episode (in no particular order):

....... Actually, forget it. I realised I really don't care enough about this show to do anything too in depth. I will point out that the writing continues to be predictable and dumb ("parasitic ice" puh-leeze). Let's look at the situation in the spore room.

They have an engineer (Reno) who has been shown to be quite brilliant (the writers keep having her say that she is). Why is she still on Discovery? Was there ever a scene where she was officially appointed as the chief engineer, and if so, who was she replacing (no, it wasn't Stamets)? Something I don't care for is her cantankerous nature, which may be fine when she is pairing up with Stamets, but I'd expect her to have a bit more of a professional attitude when she is dealing with subordinates. The writers seem like they are trying to have Reno be the McCoy of ST: D, but she just comes off as being a jerk.

She has an injured back, and therefore can't do much, but gets paired up with a guy who still has internal injuries and therefore can't move all that much. And they wind up having to deal with an emergency in the tubes where neither of them can easily get (never saw that coming), but the problem is critical to the survival of the ship. So why not contact the bridge and have them send over another engineer (assuming there is another engineer still on Discovery), or barring that, someone who has a bit of ability and is able-bodied? Sure, s/he might have to be coached by Reno, but didn't she have to do that with Stamets? It's not like they are that short of available crew members, eg. Janitor Gene (aka "Hazmat" - was shovelling up goo the most important work for him to do?), or, why not use one of the under utilized bridge crew to assist?

And why is there a Janitor Gene still on board? My impression from the end of last season was that there was a limited number of folks staying on Discovery, and that the bulk of the crew was off-loaded prior to the big, tearful send off (if I'm wrong on this point, cool).

So, if people were supposed to work in pairs, who was JG's other half? And don't say it was Reno or Stamets. If there is more crew than I believe there to be, why the heck isn't there someone available to help do this important work, or why couldn't Hazmat go into the tubes, other than for crappy writing reasons?

For those who are enjoying ST: D, hopefully you will find reasons to continue to do so. I'm probably going to stop watching this.

regards,
          G.
          Last edited by Gollumpus; 28 October 2020, 09:17 AM. Reason: ST: D looks like a big smiley face if the "D" is too close to the colon.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            Was there ever a scene where she was officially appointed as the chief engineer, and if so, who was she replacing (no, it wasn't Stamets)?
            They had her say she was doing a job for the chief engineer once, but they have yet to show the chief engineer on screen.

And why is there a Janitor Gene still on board? My impression from the end of last season was that there was a limited number of folks staying on Discovery, and that the bulk of the crew was off-loaded prior to the big, tearful send off (if I'm wrong on this point, cool).
            Is he a janitor or a medical officer tasked with cleaning up a biohazard? I know they didn't say what he was, but I would assume the latter over the former. He also could've been an engineer; cleaning up and repairing the spore drive chamber would've been a reasonable priority.

So, if people were supposed to work in pairs, who was JG's other half? And don't say it was Reno or Stamets.
            There were half a dozen characters or so working in the background during that scene. His other half could have been any one of them.

If there is more crew than I believe there to be, why the heck isn't there someone available to help do this important work, or why couldn't Hazmat go into the tubes, other than for crappy writing reasons?
            Stamets overestimated his situation; he thought he was well enough to crawl through the tubes until he wasn't. There was a lengthy conversation where Reno explained that he wasn't up to the task and tried to make him understand that there was no shame in that. She then said they should get Nilsson to do it; Stamets declined, claimed he was good, and set off up the ladder while Reno shook her head at him in disbelief.

Later Nilsson showed up and said she was told they needed help in there. Stamets started bleeding shortly thereafter, so Reno sent her to get Culber.

Comment

Working...
            X