Doing a Rewatch of SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a Rewatch of SGU

I never bought the SGU series after it went off of TV. I have SG1, SGA, and the TV movies. I started a rewatch of SGU last night with my son. I introducted him to SG1 and SGA...both of which he loves. We finished all parts of AIR last night, and I must say that I have a new appreciation for the series that I didn't have when I watched it the first go 'round. My son also seems to enjoy it.
    sigpic

I thought it was underrated 10 years ago and I still think the same!
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I watched this one when it aired, and I rather liked it, even though it wasn't well received by most.

Comment

Aside from the space battle with the Lucian Alliance, the episode was great showing us the characters and the odds stacked against them.

Personally my opinion of SGU is still low because there was just too much drama. I'm fine if it lasted two to three episodes to work out their problems. Then a few moments of it here and there as the show progressed. But their focus should have been putting their sh*t aside long enough to get things done while not breathing down each others throats. Didn't help that Rush either kept crucial information to himself or his attitude was constantly being a downer for everyone.

An example of this would be in the episode 'Light'. It could have ended on a good note with a laugh as things picked up from there as they made the best of the situation from then on. But Rush just had to throw cold water on that.

But season 2 really picked things. Really wished it continued from there.

Comment

I think Rush, by his nature, was protective of himself and distrustful of others. He didn't think other people had the drive that he'd developed in Glasgow to get things done.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Honestly the distrust and difficulty between the characters early on really made it have a huge impact when they actually started to get on. The "including me and you?" moment from Twin Destinies will always be a standout moment from the show for me, and it would have been impossible without that conflict.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
              Honestly the distrust and difficulty between the characters early on really made it have a huge impact when they actually started to get on. The "including me and you?" moment from Twin Destinies will always be a standout moment from the show for me, and it would have been impossible without that conflict.
              I agree completely - I love the character development in SG-1 and SGA of course, but what made SGU special was how they slowly worked past the differences between them. It feels more real and the fact that there's no heroic lead team and all of the crewmembers are equal makes the camaraderie between them all hit that much better.

Comment

Im about to start a rewatch of SGU (after having completed SG1/SGA and all of the movies). It will be my 3rd rewatch. I never liked SGU - because I vehemently hated how they abandoned the "We dont leave our people behind", all of the infighting and the massive overuse/misuse of the stones....

.....but Im going to approach this rewatch with a much of an open mind as I can. The series of episodes in season 2, where they came across a civilization created by alternate time versions of themselves was arguably one of the best set of SG episodes Ive ever seen....

Comment

I think it also would've been interesting to have more characters like Eli on the show in which there were other contest winners who not only understand Ancient but solved the mathematical formula.

Comment

Well...my rewatch is about halfway through season 2. I've really enjoyed the rewatch. There were a lot of things I missed when I watched it back when it originally aired.
                    sigpic

Comment

Anything in particular jump out at you?
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        Anything in particular jump out at you?
                        I just have deeper appreciation for the show. Maybe, being older now, I find it more relatable than when it first aired.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just finished season two tonight. I don't even remember the last time I saw the show. I know I started it when it first aired and I didn't care much for it. Then I stopped for a while at some point in the middle of season one and didn't start back with it until a couple years later... I think. At which point I finished it and liked it enough.

I don't think I watched it again until this time because I barely remembered anything. It was like watching most of it for the first time. Which is great. This time I really liked it. Again, that first half of season one is a little rough and took me a few weeks to get through, but by season two I started marathoning episodes.

Definitely a show that has aged well. I almost feel bad for dismissing it back then. But I think it was just too hot on the heals of SGA and too similar in tone and concept (stuck on a ship, being hunted by robots) to Battlestar Galactica (reimagined) at the time for me to really appreciate it. Now I'm sad there isn't more.
                          Saw Stargate three times in the theater when it first came out. Watched SG-1 when it first came on TV. Been a fan since the beginning. Still a fan now.

Comment

Originally posted by roxics View Post
                            Now I'm sad there isn't more.
                            I agree with you! I do wish there was more. I think, when it aired...it went too far away from the original Stargate formula. Also, people were angry that SGA was rushed to an ending so that SGU could be the only SG show on TV. But...during the rewatch...I found myself wanting it to continue beyond the two seasons that we got.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post

I agree with you! I do wish there was more. I think, when it aired...it went too far away from the original Stargate formula. Also, people were angry that SGA was rushed to an ending so that SGU could be the only SG show on TV. But...during the rewatch...I found myself wanting it to continue beyond the two seasons that we got.
                              After 15 seasons of SG1 & SGU, and being a tad bit older, the single most important aspect of SGU was that it was different, it did go far away from the original 2 series. I continued watching the Stargates, but as time went on (and as I aged) my interest to watch a Stargate show grew less and less. When SGU came along it did draw me in to watch each episode as I once did with SG1.

Just finished a rewatch myself this winter, and while I could get through SG1 & SGA, SGU was the only show that I actively paid attention to (even though I had seen it all before). I will say this, no personal offense to the cast, but I would be just fine seeing the journey continue someday with a whole new cast. For me it was never about the characters so much as the ship itself was the center of gravity for that show. Actors were just co-stars, compliments to the story of this Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                              X