Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody having issues with latest Google Chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody having issues with latest Google Chrome?

I'm having this issue with Chrome where sometimes, right now being one of them, where the memory goes up and down a little bit and it keeps fluctuating like that when it does happen, which, in turn, causes Chrome to be a little slower than usual. I don't know what is causing this, but I do know it's a Chrome issue because it only happens when Chrome is open. I did just check the Windows Task Manger as I continue to type this and it seems to have stopped for now.

The other issue, which has been going on for sometime now, is randomly switching between windows. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen recently. This issue is annoying but not as annoying as the memory issue.

Another issue is this: You know how you click the star to bookmark something and go to where it says folder to choose your folder. Well, it's suppose to list the last 5 folders you bookmarked something in, but for me that list keeps randomly changing every now and again.
    Last edited by planet_tv; 01 October 2020, 04:48 PM.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Use Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Use Firefox.
      Thank you for the suggestion. I would use that browser, as I have it installed, but I am still at version 56, which is one of the last versions before Quantum if not the very last. I need to remain there because some of the extensions I use are most likely never going be quantum compatible and one of them is a session manger extension. It's the only extension like that for Firefox and I use it as a back-up of sorts for Firefox's built-in session manger.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
        I'm having this issue with Chrome where sometimes, right now being one of them, where the memory goes up and down a little bit and it keeps fluctuating like that when it does happen, which, in turn, causes Chrome to be a little slower than usual. I don't know what is causing this, but I do know it's a Chrome issue because it only happens when Chrome is open. I did just check the Windows Task Manger as I continue to type this and it seems to have stopped for now.

The other issue, which has been going on for sometime now, is randomly switching between windows. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen recently. This issue is annoying but not as annoying as the memory issue.

Another issue is this: You know how you click the star to bookmark something and go to where it says folder to choose your folder. Well, it's suppose to list the last 5 folders you bookmarked something in, but for me that list keeps randomly changing every now and again.
        What OS are using?

I do not have any problems with Chrome, updated it just a few days ago.

Once I really loved FireFox but it has gotten so glitchy and acting up with extensions that I did not even bother trying to get it on this PC anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
          What OS are using?

I do not have any problems with Chrome, updated it just a few days ago.

Once I really loved FireFox but it has gotten so glitchy and acting up with extensions that I did not even bother trying to get it on this PC anymore
          I'm still on Windows 7 and yes I know about the Microsoft end date for it. I did ask about the memory issue on the Chrome Community and it was suggestion to refresh the profile by backing up the current profile, letting Chrome create a new one and then putting bookmarks, etc all back in. What I am tempted to do, is switch to my test user account I created and see if the memory issue happens there first because I don't want to have to refresh my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
            I'm still on Windows 7 and yes I know about the Microsoft end date for it. I did ask about the memory issue on the Chrome Community and it was suggestion to refresh the profile by backing up the current profile, letting Chrome create a new one and then putting bookmarks, etc all back in. What I am tempted to do, is switch to my test user account I created and see if the memory issue happens there first because I don't want to have to refresh my profile.
            Oh, I see. Good luck with that

Comment

Oh, I see. Good luck with that
              Well, it looks like I am going to have to refresh my Chrome profile. This is what I did:
              Switched over to my test user profile. While in that profile I set the start up page and the home button to google.com, as well show the home button to on. As I was doing that, the memory issue was still there, so I decided to close the browser and open it back up. Once I did that, I left it open on google.com for a few minutes while keeping an eye on the Windows Task Manger and there was no memory issue. Of course, I did have to end the software report tool in the processes tab of Windows Task Manger, as there was more then 1 showing up in there, so I will have let Google know about that. Not sure about the other two issues I mentioned, but I will find out after I do the refresh.

Edit: I did a refresh of my profile, copied and pasted almost everything back in and the memory issue is gone but the randomly switching between windows issue is still there. Only time will tell if the bookmarks issue I mentioned is still there or not, but right now I'm just glad the memory issue is gone.

I know with the Chrome syncing you can put bookmarks, extensions, etc back that way, but I couldn't remember the steps for that and that's why I just copied and pasted.

Edit again: I spoke to soon on the memory issue, as it came back.

Third Edit: I had to go back to my old profile as two of the extensions I use, Copy URL + Title and The Apps Launcher, were not showing up in Chrome, yet their data was in the profile folder and I can't reinstall them because they are no longer in the chrome store. I did find the Simple Apps Launcher extension which is very similar to the Apps Launcher I'm using so I installed the one I just found and disabled the other one.
              Last edited by planet_tv; 11 October 2020, 10:38 PM. Reason: Update on refreshing Chrome Profile

Comment

I hope you can make it work for you again well in the future but my guess is such problems will be bound to happen more often as you are using an old OS, so you might consider an upgrade of that

Comment

I hope you can make it work for you again well in the future but my guess is such problems will be bound to happen more often as you are using an old OS, so you might consider an upgrade of that
                  I did let Chrome know what I tried in a thread over on Chrome Community called Chrome becomes slow and unresponsive every day, as I had posted my issue there too, so hopefully someone from Google who posts in the Chrome Community responds.

Upgrading the OS and all that was something my Dad handled and he would have made sure that I got on a newer OS at some point.

Right now Chrome seems to be fine.

Comment

My latest issue with chrome, if you want to know of it, has actually been fixed when they started doing a "Trending Searches" thing from the omnibox. For me it was a weird blast from the past when yahoo once had that so long ago back when Yahoo also had the 5Line phone company {5 cents a minute through yahoo apparently}

Thankfully it only lasted about a week before they set it to automatically be OFF

though the high ram use thing, yeah, that's a known "Feature" of Chrome, the more tabs you have open isnt the issue now though, its the background tabs that power those open tabs

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Today I tried to get into my Chrome, and it wouldn't let me. I would click on the button to load it, and nothing happened. So I called my BIL who knows more about computers than I do, and he said to uninstall it and re-install it. The first time I tried to uninstall it, it said I had to close the windows I had open and try again. Problem with that was that there weren't any visible windows open. So I signed out of my computer, and logged back in, and it shut them down for me so I could re-install Chrome.

However, my BIL also told me that they may have stopped supporting Chrome as well in some way. Have any of you heard about this?
                      Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                      (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

I do know at some point they, Google, will stop supporting Windows 7. I just wish they would wait until they are ready to stop supporting Windows 8/8.1 because they did that with XP and Vista. I don't know when that will happen just that it will.

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                          Today I tried to get into my Chrome, and it wouldn't let me. I would click on the button to load it, and nothing happened. So I called my BIL who knows more about computers than I do, and he said to uninstall it and re-install it. The first time I tried to uninstall it, it said I had to close the windows I had open and try again. Problem with that was that there weren't any visible windows open. So I signed out of my computer, and logged back in, and it shut them down for me so I could re-install Chrome.

However, my BIL also told me that they may have stopped supporting Chrome as well in some way. Have any of you heard about this?
                          Works perfectly fine for me, even on Windows 7 Professional.

Only for older systemns {PXP, Vitsa, 7 {so I hear}} as far as I am aware, windows 10 has full support and the LATEST version of Chrome is SUPPOSED to reduce the resource use by the software. But I have not seen any indication of it happening {ram use for me is STILL around 2GB just to have 5 tabs pinned and 2 extra tabs for researching stuff}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Works perfectly fine for me, even on Windows 7 Professional.

Only for older systemns {PXP, Vitsa, 7 {so I hear}} as far as I am aware, windows 10 has full support and the LATEST version of Chrome is SUPPOSED to reduce the resource use by the software. But I have not seen any indication of it happening {ram use for me is STILL around 2GB just to have 5 tabs pinned and 2 extra tabs for researching stuff}
                            Thanks! I have Windows 10, and Chrome works fine now.
                            Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
                            (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

The other thing you can do, if you should have any issues in the future, is this:

Go to Users > Name of PC > AppData > Local > Google > User Data

In there, is a folder called Default and it can be renamed to something like Default_back-up. What that will do is allow Chrome to create a new default profile, and if everything is working with the new profile, then you will know that it was something in the previous profile causing the issue. That way you only have to uninstall and reinstall as a last resort. Just make sure all the extensions you are using are still in the store because if they are not, Chrome will ignore it and it won't show up at all when you go to add everything back.

Comment

Working...
                              X